Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
damn i totally forgot to back this.

im really curious as to how the quality is gonna end up

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
damn i totally forgot to back this.

im really curious as to how the quality is gonna end up

Recent update says the N64 Transfer Pak doesn't work with the first batch of controllers. Doing so would've added another 90+ day delay. I'm okay with it I guess since I have plenty of other N64 controllers I could use if I really needed to use the Transfer Pak. Even then, there's not many games that use it anyway.

Not sure how I feel about it. On one hand, I want a completely functioning product, but on the other, it's not much of a deal breaker for me for the aforementioned reasons.

CrazyDean

Zero's Secretary
Recent update says the N64 Transfer Pak doesn't work with the first batch of controllers. Doing so would've added another 90+ day delay. I'm okay with it I guess since I have plenty of other N64 controllers I could use if I really needed to use the Transfer Pak. Even then, there's not many games that use it anyway.

Not sure how I feel about it. On one hand, I want a completely functioning product, but on the other, it's not much of a deal breaker for me for the aforementioned reasons.

Is it just the transfer pak? Not the memory pak or rumble pak?

There are only two games that use the transfer pack...Pokémon Stadium and Pokémon Stadium 2.

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer

There are only two games that use the transfer pack...Pokémon Stadium and Pokémon Stadium 2.

Just the transfer pak that doesn't work. They're still able to have the memory pak and rumble pak working, so that's good at least. Any remaining issues will probably be fixed with the next batch of controllers when they do the colored ones.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member

Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, Mickey's Speedway USA and Perfect Dark support it too. Perfect Dark was originally gonna have support for the Game Boy Camera, to import your face onto a custom character model, but it got axed.

http://micro-64.com/features/transferpak.shtml

neomeo

New Challenger
I think this is a good Idea. How come there hasn't been a third Party copying Hori's N64 Pad. Everyone praises it. Why does not Hyperkin copy it? They make one of the cheapest peripherals, this could help them out. I am not willing to pay the current price of $70 for a gaming pad.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
So if anyone is interested mine got here today.

Played Goldeneye, Super Mario 64, and Super Smash Bros and it seems to be pretty good in all aspects.

It's noticeably lighter than the OEM controller but not too cheap feeling

Buttons are all responsive and easy to reach

Stick seems to match the sensitivity of the OEM controller. Was able to pull off all Mario's acrobatics with ease as well as all of his walking speeds. All Smash attacks worked, all the turning in Goldeneye worked.

The only thing that is odd is that the Z triggers are analog with a small dead zone. Makes no sense considering it's just a tiny little digital trigger on the stock controller.

I'll have to play some F-Zero X before it gets my final seal of approval but so far the only minor issue is the Z trigger.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Memory card and rumble pak work, both OEM and Nyko brand 2-in-1

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Is this the retro fighter from kickstarter ?

Yep. I received mine yesterday.

I feel very comfortable using this over the oem. It is noticably lighter. I tested killer instinct and star fox so far and both played fairly well. Well worth the $20.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Another issue

if you hold down the L button you can feel it obstructing the movement of the analog stick, especially if you move the stick diagonally up/left.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
Another issue

if you hold down the L button you can feel it obstructing the movement of the analog stick, especially if you move the stick diagonally up/left.

I can think of at least Wave Race where that issue could affect some playability in that game.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Another issue

They sent an email regarding this issue via kickstarter, apparently they're gonna troubleshoot and see if it just requires a replacement part or if a recall is required.

Either way, i would love to be able to order a few more. The stick was my biggest concern and im glad its not super twitchy in aiming sections of goldeneye or ocarina of time, similar to the current replacement stick options.

famicommander

15 Year Member
So to recap, my only issues:
-analog Z triggers
-L button conflicts with analog stick
-cord is about a foot shorter than the OEM controller
-no Transfer Pak support, but we knew that before they shipped

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
How significant is the dead zone for the z button ?

famicommander

15 Year Member
How significant is the dead zone for the z button ?

Noticeable but not horrible. It actuates roughly 1/3 of the way compressed. Certainly not as bad as, say, the Saturn 3D controller but much worse than the Gamecube controller.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Mine showed up yesterday. It's been ages since I've hooked up my N64. Looks like I have an excuse. :)

famicommander

15 Year Member
Another thing I noticed is that the d-pad takes more pressure to actuate than the stock controller. Not a massive amount; I found WWF No Mercy to be perfectly playable. But I did notice it.

And it seems to require more pressure to actuate the d-pad in the up/down direction than the left/right direction.

famicommander

15 Year Member
So, again a recap

The good:
-analog stick performs as well as the original in Super Smash Bros, F-Zero X, Super Mario 64, and Goldeneye 007 as far as I can tell
-face buttons are responsive, comfortably placed, and solid
-very light weight
-works with OEM or third party memory cards
-works with OEM or third party Rumble Paks
-L and R buttons seem solid
-has turbo functionality
-is comfortable in the hands overall

The bad:
-no Transfer Pak support
-L button clashes with the analog when using both at once; analog can interrupt L button inputs as well as physically obstruct its movement
-cable is a foot shorter than the OEM
-Z buttons are analog triggers with long throw and noticeable dead zones rather than a digital button with no dead zone and virtually zero throw
-d-pad requires more pressure to actuate than the OEM controller
-d-pad requires more pressure in the up/down direction than the left/right direction

Feels like they sort of used us as beta testers. If they fix all of the above in a revision it's a god damn fine controller.

famicommander

15 Year Member
They've said on Kickstarter that they will fix the Transfer Pak issue in the next revision and they're going to fix the L button/stick issue whether they have to recall the controllers or simply send out a smaller button for users to install.

They also told me directly that they will "look at" my complaints about the d-pad and Z triggers.

If they actually do something about the d-pad and triggers then they'll have solved all of my complaints except the smallest one, which was the shorter cable length.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
The short cable length bugs me as well. Other then that no complaints from me.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Waiting for mine to show up. It'll be interesting to see what they do to solve the issues for the coloured variations. They just put out that KS update this afternoon, and I'm impressed that they're taking ownership for the issue and working on a fix(es).

famicommander

15 Year Member
Controller has the same issue with the C buttons and R... if you press the R button the right way you can see the C right and C up buttons move, and if you hit the C buttons and R at the same time sometimes you hear an audible click.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
This guy opened that pad up to have a look at some of those button clashing issues,