SSV P1 & P2 EPROMS

Mishran

New Challenger
Been a good while since I last posted on this forum, but on to what's important... Ran a UniBIOS scan on my cart and several NG came up. Had me curious, so I opened it up and saw that the 2 P roms were eproms. The cart otherwise matches the images on the MVS scan site. Looked around here and didn't see anything similar. Any ideas?

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Could be a repair. Post pics of both boards and we can tell you more.

Mishran

New Challenger
Sure thing, here ya go. Little pixelated, but all I have to work with right now is an iPad. I figured it was likely a repair job, but there was some things about the case that also seems odd.
The label looks and feels like card stock that was printed and glued on. There was also a small metallic sticker over one of the screw holes with a QC stamp. Peeling it off left void stickers.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Sure thing, here ya go. Little pixelated, but all I have to work with right now is an iPad. I figured it was likely a repair job, but there was some things about the case that also seems odd.
The label looks and feels like card stock that was printed and glued on. There was also a small metallic sticker over one of the screw holes with a QC stamp. Peeling it off left void stickers.

View attachment 46329View attachment 46330

Are the P roms machine soldered or do they look hand soldered? I wonder if maybe its a boss hack.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Are the P roms machine soldered or do they look hand soldered? I wonder if maybe its a boss hack.

That sounds quite possible if the P roms fail CRC on the unibios.

Mishran

New Challenger
Solder joints look clean, much like the rest. Definitely doesn't look done by hand.

The region, bank 1, 2, 3, and 4 are NG. Bank 0, 5, and 6 came up OK.

Last edited:

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Maybe its an undumped early build of the game. Have you noticed any differences? Like different colored sprites?

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Maybe its an undumped early build of the game. Have you noticed any differences? Like different colored sprites?

Why would SNK have had mass produced mask ROMs made for a proto?

Mishran

New Challenger
I'm having a slow back and forth email conversation with raz about it at the moment. He says it's hard to say whether it's an undumped version or just bad eprom programming. I unfortunately do not have an eprom burner, so I can't dump them. Just like a tootsie pop, the world may never know.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Why would SNK have had mass produced mask ROMs made for a proto?

I'm not necessarily saying proto, but maybe another build early or late in the games life.

I'm having a slow back and forth email conversation with raz about it at the moment. He says it's hard to say whether it's an undumped version or just bad eprom programming. I unfortunately do not have an eprom burner, so I can't dump them. Just like a tootsie pop, the world may never know.

Oh we can find out. If you're interested, there are plenty of people on this forum who would be willing to dump them for you.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
Talk to NeoHomeBrew. He bought a similar SSV cart from me and wanted to have a look at those chips. The EPROM versions seem to be somewhat common.