How do you make a Dreamcast region free?

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I've had my current Dreamcast for about 12 years now. I bought it on eBay as "region free Dreamcast" and it is. I've owned plenty of different region games over the years and it's always played everything without issue.

I've never actually questioned how exactly it is region free, so was wondering if anyone knows what would have been done to this? Is it a really simple mod on the Dreamcast?

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
Region Free bios would do it.

I did it BITD with a swap disc and currently the GDEmu runs whatever.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Just like Gus said, region free bios.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I did google, and saw the bios, but the articles I read were from 2012. Has this been around for longer? I bought this console a long time before that.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
That particular one is from around 2012. There have been other mod chips. Maybe try opening yours and see what is inside?

Is it possible that there exists "military" versions of the Dreamcast (or other consoles) specifically designed for sale to US Military personnel? I know that there are VCRs like this, that will just work in any region.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
A military version of the Dreamcast? WTF?

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
"we know yoru adventure isnt that fun so here is a burned copy of Sonic Adventure"

***VMU for sacred Chao tamagazchi grinding must be found in the barren desert among your fallen enemy's dropped weapon and equipment***

NexusX

Astra Superstar
Crack the thing open and have a look at the BIOS chip. Lets you swap out that crappy system battery while you are at it.

Last edited:

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Is it possible that there exists "military" versions of the Dreamcast (or other consoles) specifically designed for sale to US Military personnel? I know that there are VCRs like this, that will just work in any region.

giphy.gif