Varth, Macross Plus, and Battle Garegga boots?

W.U.D.O.

n00b
Hi,
Are these three boards Varth, Macross Plus and Battle Garegga bootlegs or conversions?

Attachments

• IMG_6266.JPG
    IMG_6266.JPG
    555 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_6267.JPG
    IMG_6267.JPG
    510.6 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_6268.JPG
    IMG_6268.JPG
    589.1 KB · Views: 164

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Both Varth and Macross look like conversion to me but that Garegga is legit.

W.U.D.O.

n00b
Thanks. At least that Battle Garegga is legit. I knew something was up with Varth and Macross. All bought off yahoo Japan but Battle Garegga came from a different seller than Varth and Macross.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Why are we thinking Macross Plus is a conversion? I sold mine off awhile back but this one seems look exactly like mine. Blisters and caps on mother in same locations. Daughter has same chip layout and same silk screen location and date. I think that one is also legit.

Varth - no idea on cps1 stuff.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Why are we thinking Macross Plus is a conversion? I sold mine off awhile back but this one seems look exactly like mine. Blisters and caps on mother in same locations. Daughter has same chip layout and same silk screen location and date. I think that one is also legit.
My guess would be the blank stickers on the EPROMs. They look suspiciously clean and unworn and usually at a bare minimum the stickers will have some kind of text indicating which EPROM they are. I don't think I've seen EPROMs on a Capcom board that don't at least say Capcom on the sticker. The Macross does have a bunch of SMT chips on the MASK board, I'm wondering if maybe the EPROMs were some sort of version upgrade someone DIYed? I suppose I could look and see if there are multiple versions but that's more work than I want to put in.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Maybe just a region change on MP? As far as I know original roms come with stickers as well. According to MAME there's only one other game made for the system, Quiz something JP only.

CPS1 could be anything, I'm not sure what the value of an original Varth is but is it worth making a boot for it? Even now SF2WW boards are getting top dollar, it's crazy. If both boards came from the same source chances are they are booties since both sticker sets are so clean.

BG looks super clean, don't let it go.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
My Varth PCB looks like this:

fUIEgt4.jpg

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Comparing to Cory's board, the OP's board has a desuicided C-board? If so, then it would be considered a conversion, right?

W.U.D.O.

n00b
If both boards came from the same source chances are they are booties since both sticker sets are so clean.

I did win another shmup board from the same seller that was OG. Google images of the board matched with my board plus there was a lot of bidders for it. I was the only bidder for Varth and Macross Plus. The BG came from a different source.

This site is really dope. Thanks for all the responses.

Last edited:

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
A Varth from Japan would normally have a plastic cover and a battery on top board. I would think it'd be unlikely for a Japanese seller to import an overseas Varth

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Mine looks exactly like Cory's.