NFL Thread - 2017/2018

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Yeah you can't compare QB stats across generations. The league evolves as rules change and defense has been rendered toothless. Case in point: Blake fucking Bortles has averaged over 3500 yds per season in what most would consider a lackluster first 3 years. That's better than the career averages of guys like Troy Aikman, Phil Simms and on par with guys like Dan Marino and John Elway.

All of this is to say Jay Cutler is doodoo. He can always be counted on to throw back-breaking interceptions and pile up meaningless garbage-time stats. Also he's locker room cancer. Just ask anyone who played with him.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Rodgers out with broken collarbone...may be out for season. A tough loss for GB fans...

...good thing I'm not a GB fan....

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Glad the Vikings won, but it’s terrible that Rodgers got injured in process. He’s really fun to watch when he’s making another team’s defense look bad.

Last edited:

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
Glad the Vikings won, but it’s terrible that Rodgers got injured in process. He’s really fun to watch when he’s making another team’s defense look bad.

This.

Man, there have been a lot of injuries so far this season.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
The important thing is that Raiders fans are unhappy, wherever they exist (probably prison)

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
lulz at people that still defend replay after shit like that Jets TD.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
The important thing is that Raiders fans are unhappy, wherever they exist (probably prison)

At least they're not in their mid 20s and living with their parents while acting superior to everyone else.

lithy

20 Year Member
I'm surprised the Chiefs didn't at least try a challenge on the Demetrius Harris ball ruled incomplete. To me, that was a TD, but who even knows anymore. He caught the ball, got two feet down but how do you determine whether he was 'going to the ground' or whatever the requirement is now. If a running back can stretch the tip of the ball over the line for a TD, a receiver can come down with possession and it should be a touchdown. Either that or go to rugby 'touch down' rules, which I wouldn't be altogether opposed to.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/article179050446.html

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
I'm surprised the Chiefs didn't at least try a challenge on the Demetrius Harris ball ruled incomplete. To me, that was a TD, but who even knows anymore. He caught the ball, got two feet down but how do you determine whether he was 'going to the ground' or whatever the requirement is now. If a running back can stretch the tip of the ball over the line for a TD, a receiver can come down with possession and it should be a touchdown. Either that or go to rugby 'touch down' rules, which I wouldn't be altogether opposed to.

Andy Reids two biggest weaknesses will always be clock management and timeout use. Guess this kinda ties into the 2nd.

It's really sad when a small child could tell you what a catch is and the damn NFL cannot though.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member

I raged about this (officiating and calls in general) in the other thread last week. A hundred billion dollar entity and they can't spot a ball within 9' of each other. (during the game last week there were 4 guys with their hands up spotting the ball. They were 3 yards apart. 9 feet. The Bears had to challenge the spot and had it moved back...9 FEET! On another call they called for a measurement. The guy holding the link on the yard marker lost his grip when the other lineman "pulled" on the marker to see if it made it. The whole things was off. He looks confused and grabs a random link of the chain and they remeasure. Again - this is the process to determine inches, in a game of inches, of a hundred billion dollar product.)

My favorite is when i'm watching a Denver runner last night on 4th down, and seeing the ball clearly over the plane of the goal line, and the commentator says, "Well, that looks like it's over the line to me, but we have to remember, the cameras aren't lined up exactly on the goal line."

WHY! Why is the goal line camera ANYWHERE BUT the goal line?

We're the fools though. We keep watching it.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I raged about this (officiating and calls in general) in the other thread last week. A hundred billion dollar entity and they can't spot a ball within 9' of each other. (during the game last week there were 4 guys with their hands up spotting the ball. They were 3 yards apart. 9 feet. The Bears had to challenge the spot and had it moved back...9 FEET! On another call they called for a measurement. The guy holding the link on the yard marker lost his grip when the other lineman "pulled" on the marker to see if it made it. The whole things was off. He looks confused and grabs a random link of the chain and they remeasure. Again - this is the process to determine inches, in a game of inches, of a hundred billion dollar product.)

My favorite is when i'm watching a Denver runner last night on 4th down, and seeing the ball clearly over the plane of the goal line, and the commentator says, "Well, that looks like it's over the line to me, but we have to remember, the cameras aren't lined up exactly on the goal line."

I imagine that next year we can txt our referee decisions to *nfl and decide the calls by committee.

lithy

20 Year Member

Ultimately, my problem is that replay causes as many problems as it fixes and adds its own new set of issues. I would honestly not care if the ball is occasionally spotted wrong because it happens in an instant and by a human element, if we want to nit pick spots on individual plays, why not do it on every play of the game? They all matter. While we're at it, we should review the clock after every play. An extra second gained or lost on 20 different plays makes a big difference at the end of the game.

I would much prefer a game that is run quickly (because we know the commercials aren't going anywhere) and gets some plays called dead wrong, instead of this non-stop interruption of the game where there are still plays that get called dead wrong. At least without replay we have the time honored tradition of blaming the refs when our team loses.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Crazy end to that Raiders-Chiefs game. Even though ratings are down this year on the whole, I think the quality of games has actually been pretty good.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Instead of quoting many of you, I'll just agree with what you have to say...all of these "catch" interpretations, replays, reviews...it's ruined the game.

All of the spontaneous excitement of the game is completely gone now...you cannot get excited about anything as it happens, you have to cheer when a fucking ref walks out and tells you to.

In baseball, a fella cracks a HR or a runner on in field base hit and the crowd gets insane, at home you do as well. It happens right there in real time.

In the NFL, the QB completes what looks like a TD.....................................and wait..............................and the review............................and the ref walks out....................................................................................................................and then tells us their thoughts on it. Excitement killed 100%...

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The 10 second run off the clock is a stupid rule too.

What the NFL should consider is to revert the rule book to 1994, and have all the players in Mark Kelso helmets.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Instead of quoting many of you, I'll just agree with what you have to say...all of these "catch" interpretations, replays, reviews...it's ruined the game.

All of the spontaneous excitement of the game is completely gone now...you cannot get excited about anything as it happens, you have to cheer when a fucking ref walks out and tells you to.

In baseball, a fella cracks a HR or a runner on in field base hit and the crowd gets insane, at home you do as well. It happens right there in real time.

In the NFL, the QB completes what looks like a TD.....................................and wait..............................and the review............................and the ref walks out....................................................................................................................and then tells us their thoughts on it. Excitement killed 100%...

The end of the game last night was a perfect example of this. Should’ve just ended with the called TD Carr threw the first time. Instead we got another 15 minutes, more plays and more questionable calls.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Chirfs fans have to be wondering

How often do the chiefs start brilliantly and then sputter through the second half of the season?

It’s like they need two head coaches: Andy Reid to start, and someone to take over when he loses his marbles.

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
Chirfs fans have to be wondering

How often do the chiefs start brilliantly and then sputter through the second half of the season?

It’s like they need two head coaches: Andy Reid to start, and someone to take over when he loses his marbles.

Marty Schottenheimer II. I'm expecting the same for Philly since Pederson is his disciple.

Last edited: