NFL Thread - 2017/2018

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I seriously doubt esports growth has anything to do with poor NFL officiating. The growth of NBA, MLS, and other competing leagues? Maybe.

I would argue that it’s harder for young folk to get into the traditional sports with how bad the games are, and how polarized the playing field is based on money and market power. But then they have an option of esports which is radically more inclusive, and more transparent.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
I’m still salty over the Browns not keeping either RGIII or Brock Osweiler. It would be nice for the Browns to have a QB on the roster who has actually won an NFL game before.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
New rumor, speaking of the Browns, is that Cincinnati will offer Cleveland a third-round pick or so in exchange for Hue Jackson in the offseason. Jackson was Dalton and McCarron's OC for a while there.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
New rumor, speaking of the Browns, is that Cincinnati will offer Cleveland a third-round pick or so in exchange for Hue Jackson in the offseason. Jackson was Dalton and McCarron's OC for a while there.

Why would anyone give anything to get Jackson? I figure he will be gone after this season.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Why would anyone give anything to get Jackson? I figure he will be gone after this season.

Because they are the Bungles...Browns will fuck up the draft pick because they are the Browns

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member

That was my initial reaction, also.

But, from various articles over the past month or so, it sounds like he's still well-respected around the league, especially as an offensive mind, and that the mess in Cleveland is generally blamed on Sashi Brown, not him.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The mess in Cleveland is more than just one person. Like why was the owner’s wife blamed for not getting AJ McCarron?

It seems like an org rife with rot - bad backroom minds in survival mode like a cancer.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Oh yeah, it's definitely not just one person. Sticking Sashi Brown and Paul DePodesta, who made it very clear that they were going to be data/analytics-driven, with an old-school guy like Hue Jackson was pretty dumb. And yeah, the McCarron thing, jeesh.

Jimmy Haslam runs a pretty screwy ship.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Oh yeah, it's definitely not just one person. Sticking Sashi Brown and Paul DePodesta, who made it very clear that they were going to be data/analytics-driven, with an old-school guy like Hue Jackson was pretty dumb. And yeah, the McCarron thing, jeesh.

Jimmy Haslam runs a pretty screwy ship.

Can sabermetrics work in the NFL?

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Can sabermetrics work in the NFL?

I would say it depends on what your goals are. If you know what metrics you're looking for, and how to adjust correctly for it, you can scout better than others and make appropriate financial offers to rookies and free agents. That alone, won't win you a Super Bowl, but it can certainly make your record from year to year more respectable. An quick example would be looking into why Josh McCown helped make the Jets better than Ryan Fitzpatrick the year before.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Make it 1-31. No way they’re beating the Steelers next week either.

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior

I agree! A few good QBS might be going pro this year, Josh Rosen-UCLA, Sam Darnold-USC, and Josh Allen-Wyoming, but sadly going to Cleveland is no win situation. Cleveland can't seem to protect their quarterbacks.
Been reading that these guys are a bit concerned ending up at Cleveland, and at least Rosen and Darnald haven't decared be cause of this possible outcome.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Rosen going #1 makes no sense to me. Lamar Jackson is way more exciting from an upside position. Rosen is like Alex Smith.

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
Rosen going #1 makes no sense to me. Lamar Jackson is way more exciting from an upside position. Rosen is like Alex Smith.

I am not a fan of Rosen, fuck UCLA and Rosen, but he has an arm. I saw a a bunch of his high school games, at least 80% of his college games, and he had an arm. With decent protection he will do well in the NFL, he has great accuracy, and can place the ball where it needs to be. He knows how to get the ball in the hands of the receivers. Problem is too many of his receivers drop passes.

I'd take him over Lamar Jackson, still not sure if he'll do well in NFL, he doesn't play the best against stronger teams. That's what seperate good from great.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member

Steelers definitely have the talent, but if they play the Browns like they did earlier this year then Cleveland has a chance. Pittsburgh really played down to Cleveland’s level.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I am not a fan of Rosen, fuck UCLA and Rosen, but he has an arm. I saw a a bunch of his high school games, at least 80% of his college games, and he had an arm. With decent protection he will do well in the NFL, he has great accuracy, and can place the ball where it needs to be. He knows how to get the ball in the hands of the receivers. Problem is too many of his receivers drop passes.

I'd take him over Lamar Jackson, still not sure if he'll do well in NFL, he doesn't play the best against stronger teams. That's what seperate good from great.

Lamar Jackson probably just fell to the middle of the 2nd round.