Neo 29 4 Slot (MV4FT3) Speaker Buzz/White Noise

jcmorris

New Challenger
I guess Ill try to pick one up and try it. Im stuck with this 4 slot I think though, and even if that proves it is the root of the issue (Which I'm pretty damn sure it is at this point) it still doesn't fix it :(

So after testing the headphone jack and it working well it got me wondering: What if I hook up a 4pin JST to RCA adapter I made then run that to a 12v amp like the Lepai, then to the speakers from there. Has anyone had any experience trying something like this?

EDIT: I used an old amp inside of a Cambridge sound works speaker and it works great! No noise whatsoever. Anyone know if there is any damage that could be caused by running the cabinet or PCB like this long term (or until I find another solution)?

Last edited:

juci

n00b
I guess Ill try to pick one up and try it. Im stuck with this 4 slot I think though, and even if that proves it is the root of the issue (Which I'm pretty damn sure it is at this point) it still doesn't fix it :(

So after testing the headphone jack and it working well it got me wondering: What if I hook up a 4pin JST to RCA adapter I made then run that to a 12v amp like the Lepai, then to the speakers from there. Has anyone had any experience trying something like this?

EDIT: I used an old amp inside of a Cambridge sound works speaker and it works great! No noise whatsoever. Anyone know if there is any damage that could be caused by running the cabinet or PCB like this long term (or until I find another solution)?

Sorry to bring up an old thread, I'm pretty sure the headphone connection is line level so it is fine to use.

I have two 4 slots and they both have the same issue you have, I get perfect audio through the headphone connection and a hum through jamma.
This leads me to believe that something in the amp circuit is causing the hum, I may get around to diagnosing it but using the headphone connection isn't the end of the world its just not as loud.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
There is no problem in supplying a 12v amp like the lepai with the headphone output to drive the speakers. All you are doing is taking the inbuilt amplifier out of the equation with regards to driving the speakers directly.

I would suggest looking at the volume slider for the speaker output with the idea of reconditioning or replacement of it. Doesn't hurt to replace capacitors either.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
My Neo had a hum when the marquee led was burnt out. You can tell if this is the problem if when you switch games to a working led you don't hear the hum. Unplug the bad panel and that should fix it.