$10 Moviepass

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Wow i never heard of this but apparently its a subscription to allow you to watch one movie every day at the theater for $9.99 a month.

The only restrictions are Imax & 3d movies, everything else is a go. Even opening night.

This would have been a dream come true for me 20 years ago. Still this is pretty amazing deal.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Wow i never heard of this but apparently its a subscription to allow you to watch one movie every day at the theater for $9.99 a month.

The only restrictions are Imax & 3d movies, everything else is a go. Even opening night.

This would have been a dream come true for me 20 years ago. Still this is pretty amazing deal.

I've read about this and how they can justify making money with this, they sell you information to the highest bidder, so sign up at your own risk.

Here's an article I found on a quick search, I was reading a different one earlier, but it talks about them monitoring your habits

http://fortune.com/2017/08/15/moviepass-movie-ticket-subscriptions-10/

I have some very nice dine in type theaters and other "destination" theaters, but the closest theater to me is an AMC that is crumbling as they wait for the new outlet mall to be built around it. The tickets are cheaper than they were 20 years ago, I'm sure the money they make off of concessions keeps them afloat.

Last edited:

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
AMC is already balking.

In addition to the revenue Ralfakick is talking about I think this is also going to run on the prospect of government health insurance, ie. people who subscribe that don't go pay for those that do go more often.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Definitely going to end up a case of too good to be true.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
AMC is already balking.

In addition to the revenue Ralfakick is talking about I think this is also going to run on the prospect of government health insurance, ie. people who subscribe that don't go pay for those that do go more often.
Movie Pass reimburses each ticket. The theaters don't lose their 10-20% on the ticket and neither does the movie distributor.

The theaters that are complaining are citing "diminishing the movie experience". Which is beyond silly. Anyone who is going to go the movies 7-10 times a month already is a movie freak and this isn't going to diminish their feelings toward movies.

The theaters will come out ahead by selling more food/candy/drink. They're overthinking it, imo.

Movie Pass is able to do this because the majority of their revenue comes from selling market data (reviews, statistics, demographics) to movie distributors.

It's a win/win/win/win (moviepass / theaters / distributors / plebs). Everyone is cynical tho, so it can't possibly be a win/win/win/win.