Spreading Neo Geo love

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Pfft.. You're a fairweather fan, AT BEST.

I thought I knew you.

What can I say. I was stuck in the 16-bit era throughout the 90's.

I (ignorantly) thought the 32-bit consoles were solely for 3D, which I wasn't (and still am not) into. I knew of exceptions (Street Fighter Alphas, Mortal Kombats) but I was just like "Well the playstation is cool, I guess".

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Blind fools...all of them...unbeknown to them the greatest console in existence could have been theirs!

Maybe I'm exaggerating for some but when you look at the Saturn, it really is a heavy contender for the best system ever, specially for us, you know...actual arcade gamers.

Dreamcast doesn't fall short on arcade fun though...I think every console has a good amount of arcade in them, even current gen, arcade isn't going anywhere, just like Metal, it never died, yes it changed but it also remain the same if you know where to look.

The arcade philosophy carries within itself a mystery...even before the dawn of video games, arcades existed...the challenge was drawn to all and mankind was eager to participate but conglomerate giants saw much prospect in this and they saw fit to steal the arcade philosophy for their own gain...the arcade philosophy was diluted, gutted from its purpose, the conglomerate giants trans mutated the true intent of arcade, changing the very fabric of the eagerness men once shared...the challenge was corrupted when strength can be bought...the strength of men was weakened when the challenge was gone and so the arcade philosophy faded from the memory of men...but not all! There are those few that stand the test of time, that have felt the void arcade philosophy has left and are still bound by their own accord to unravel the mystery...not giants...just men...for arcade philosophy carries within itself a mystery...no one in this world can you trust, not developers, not conglomerate giants, not indies...

...this you can trust.

Last edited:

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Blind fools...all of them...unbeknown to them the greatest console in existence could have been theirs!

Maybe I'm exaggerating for some but when you look at the Saturn, it really is a heavy contender for the best system ever, specially for us, you know...actual arcade gamers.

Dreamcast doesn't fall short on arcade fun though...I think every console has a good amount of arcade in them, even current gen, arcade isn't going anywhere, just like Metal, it never died, yes it changed but it also remain the same if you know where to look.

The arcade philosophy carries within itself a mystery...even before the dawn of video games, arcades existed...the challenge was drawn to all and mankind was eager to participate but conglomerate giants saw much prospect in this and they saw fit to steal the arcade philosophy for their own gain...the arcade philosophy was diluted, gutted from its purpose, the conglomerate giants trans mutated the true intent of arcade, changing the very fabric of the eagerness men once shared...the challenge was corrupted when strength can be bought...the strength of men was weakened when the challenge was gone and so the arcade philosophy faded from the memory of men...but not all! There are those few that stand the test of time, that have felt the void arcade philosophy has left and are still bound by their own accord to unravel the mystery...not giants...just men...for arcade philosophy carries within itself a mystery...no one in this world can you trust, not developers, not conglomerate giants, not indies...

...this you can trust.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
My college roommates went crazy for my Neo when I introduced them to it, but that was 2002. Nowadays I think it depends on the person.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Did it have to though?

It would've helped. More arcade ports would have been released, and probably more localizations, in general.

But would that have been enough to register more? I doubt it. Arcade ports weren't the reason why the PS1 won the war on popularity that generation.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Maybe if Sonic Xtreme or another mainline 3D Sonic made it to Saturn it could habe made a difference. An upgraded 3D Blast, Sonic R, and Sonic Jam don't exactly stand up to Super Mario 64 or Crash and Spyro.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member

...this you can trust.

clip.small.gif

It would've helped. More arcade ports would have been released, and probably more localizations, in general.

But would that have been enough to register more? I doubt it. Arcade ports weren't the reason why the PS1 won the war on popularity that generation.

Sad, but true. The arcade ports were definitely the main reason why I preferred the saturn back then. Unfortunately, there likely wasn't much sega could do against the tide of issues that were not in their favor. The death of the saturn in the states started before the damn thing was even released.

acampero

Quiz Detective
My son is 13 and firmly entrenched in retro gaming. We play SNES and Genesis all the time. We play Zombies Ate My Neighbors weekly. He also loves PC Engine and the Neo Geo and we like to play Neo Bomberman, KOF 98, Burning Fight etc..
The Switch actually got him into fighters since he's been playing KOF all the time on it and figuring out all the special moves. It's really fun to see him share the enthusiasm for retro games.

My girlfriend's son is 5 years old and I've got him playing Neo Geo and singing along to...

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
What an over the top story. You let some friends play your games.

Yeah, well ... I could have told the one about me and my obscenely rich friends going to a shady club to watch naked girls crush tarantulas with their high heel stilettos, but that wouldn't have had anything to do with Neo Geo, now would it.

I was genuinely excited to see people, who are just trying out this new thing called "console gaming", digging Neo games. Pretty much anyone can get into Wii Sports immediately, but how often do you see a "non-gamer" try out KoF 9X and say they want more? This is literally the first time I've seen it happen. My friends don't care about Neo games. Today's kids couldn't give two shits about them. All they can talk about are CoD, CS:GO and all the paid skins you can pimp out the same damn weapons with. It's 2017, and kids are crazy about paying for actual textures. How messed up is that?

BlackaneseNiNjA said:
It would be nice to see the neo geo talked about on gaming sites more for SNK's game catalog legacy, hardware design advances & missteps, and their three pillar approach to an industry that was quickly moving away from coin-op distribution; as opposed to just the price tag focus most SNK articles tend to be saddled with.

This is exactly the kind of real arcade talk I miss offline. There's so much more to arcade history than the pointless top ten lists, hidden gems and articles written by MAME users. I remember listening to one episode of Retronauts, or some other 1UP related gaming podcast in which the topic was arcade memories. One of the guys started telling the story of how he and his friends used to mess with a Street Fighter 2 machine in one of the arcades, "converting it" to Rainbow Edition, by crawling behind the cabinet or wherever and crossing some random wires. Crossing different wires was causing different effects in game, supposedly. This was the last time I've listened to a gaming podcast. And to think they do this for a living.

andsuchisdeath said:
I had zero interest in the saturn when it was current. It ended up becoming my favorite console, more or less.

Saturn was a major contributing factor to me being low on cash back in the day. Importing some of the later releases wasn't cheap, but they were never coming to Europe, and I really wanted to play them. Back then, I wouldn't play SF Zero 3 any other way. Paying for a relatively new CPS2 game was out of the question, of course.

Famicommander said:
Maybe if Sonic Xtreme or another mainline 3D Sonic made it to Saturn it could habe made a difference.

Looking at the titles which made the PlayStation fly off the shelves, I doubt it. Though I did always think it was a damn shame that the 3D section of Sonic Jam was merely a hub for movies, art and all that jazz. Oh well.

acampero said:
The Switch actually got him into fighters since he's been playing KOF all the time on it and figuring out all the special moves.

Ha! Looks like the Switch is a gateway drug leading the uninitiated masses back to arcade roots. Two documented cases and counting.

Last edited:

acampero

Quiz Detective
Ha! Looks like the Switch is a gateway drug leading the uninitiated masses back to arcade roots. Two documented cases and counting.

True words. They really are doing something special with the ability to take the console with you and play it anywhere with a friend.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Looking at the titles which made the PlayStation fly off the shelves, I doubt it. Though I did always think it was a damn shame that the 3D section of Sonic Jam was merely a hub for movies, art and all that jazz. Oh well.
Crash Bandicoot 1 sold almost 7 million copies and Super Mario 64 sold 11 million.

Sonic was SEGA's biggest franchise. Not saying it would have turned the tide on its own, but it couldn't have hurt. Delivering a port of a Genesis game, a compilation of Genesis games, and a racing game that is damn near unplayable without the analog controller just isn't good enough.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Super Mario 64 sold 11 million.

If you're implying this equals 11 million consoles sold, I'll have you know that number is heavily skewed! I own two copies of Super Mario 64!

a racing game that is damn near unplayable without the analog controller just isn't good enough.

That soundtrack, though ...

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Whomever talks crap about Sonic R just doesn't know how to play. Easy as hell to control, amazing OST, hell yeah! CAN YOU FEEL THE SUNSHINE?!

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Whomever talks crap about Sonic R just doesn't know how to play. Easy as hell to control, amazing OST, hell yeah! CAN YOU FEEL THE SUNSHINE?!

+1

you know you have to survive...you've got to keep that dream alive...

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,

That centrifugal force and speeding up took some getting used to, I have to admit, but I played the crap out of Sonic R. Heck, back then, that metallic "R" symbol on the start screen was enough to get me excited, as reflections weren't exactly common. I know it wasn't a reflection per se, but anyone who thought Dural and Kage's metallic pants in VF3 were cool, gets it.

Oh, and I never played Sonic R using the analog controller despite owning one.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Motherfucker I was listening to Sonic R yesterday...

Living in the city, you know you have to surviiiive...

famicommander

15 Year Member

It controls like shit on the d-pad. Use the NiGHTS controller or go home.

Sypth

Mr. Big's Thug
Any huge difference between the Gamecube and Saturn version of Sonic R?

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Any huge difference between the Gamecube and Saturn version of Sonic R?

I definitely prefer the Gamecube version in the Gems Collection over the original Saturn version. Basically, the Gamecube version was based on the version of Sonic R that was released for the PC:

+sharper graphics
+added visual weather effects
+better draw distance

The weather effects are handled a bit differently on the GC when compared to the PC, but the inclusion is a nice touch. There are some minor graphic effect differences on some stages, but the GC version wins out overall imo.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I love the PC version, got mine during Dreamcast times in which Sega Rally, Virtual On and VF2 were also released. Incidentally I had a VGA box and a CRT VGA, those games played so well, even got an adapter for Saturn to PC just for the Dual Sticks to work with Joy to Key.

GC version is nice, I still prefer the Saturn version because it handles better, the controls are more responsive, plus the OST sounds so damn good! The PC version doesn't seem to have all the tracks, never bothered to check the GC.

sir arthur

War Room Troll
Everytime my friends come to my place we end up playing Neo Geo o Saturn games