AES menu in Shock Troopers (and others)?

synnchan

n00b
As far as I'm aware, no AES title of Shock Troopers was ever released, only the MVS version. But I'm still able to access an AES menu in it by messing around with the bios. Same thing for many other games (Ganryu, Money Puzzle Exchanger, Zupapa!, etc). If those games never got AES releases, how do they have AES menus?

Sorry if this sounds stupid, I'm still learning the technical aspects of the system.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
As far as I'm aware, no AES title of Shock Troopers was ever released, only the MVS version. But I'm still able to access an AES menu in it by messing around with the bios. Same thing for many other games (Ganryu, Money Puzzle Exchanger, Zupapa!, etc). If those games never got AES releases, how do they have AES menus?

Sorry if this sounds stupid, I'm still learning the technical aspects of the system.

There are a few exceptions, but most Neo Geo games were made with an AES mode regardless of whether or not they actually got an AES release.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
What Neo Alec said. I assume the developers didn't know if the games would have a home release or not. Which leads me to wonder why SNK chose to not release some games for the AES.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I believe it was part of the Neo Geo standard that developers were supposed to include both modes for all games, but some later games managed to skip it regardless. The most noteable one was Puzzle Bobble 2/Bust A Move Again. Things were more lax during and after SNK's bankruptcy.