Skycurser: Die A Hero - High Score and Tips Thread

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Can't seem to get this to run on the Blast City or the Egret II. Any tips fella's?

You'll probably need to send it back to them for a fix. Lots of people have reported issues with candy cabs, but mine worked with all my cabs out the box.

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
So, I was tempted to pick up this game with the current 15% off they are advertising, but I am still very apprehensive.

1) The game itself still seems incomplete.
2) No interesting upcoming games advertised since this is a "platform"
3) The price. More expensive than NGDev and so far seems less refined, although better than NGDev's first game.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
So, I was tempted to pick up this game with the current 15% off they are advertising, but I am still very apprehensive.

1) The game itself still seems incomplete.
2) No interesting upcoming games advertised since this is a "platform"
3) The price. More expensive than NGDev and so far seems less refined, although better than NGDev's first game.

The 700 is for the hardware and game. Games will be around 250 each.

Geekman1222

Kula's Candy
I would love to get one of these one day it loooks sooooooooo fun XD. I would play it on mame or something, but, out of respect for the devs i will not ever do such a thing sadly until i get my hands on one it will not be played yet.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
For myself, the most interesting fact about this game is its orientation: you don't see many horis these days. Hopefully I get to try this soon.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I hate to be a hater, especially when I know one of the creators browses this forum, but Skycurser is not good. At all. It's extremely barebones. Being good at the game requires 100% memorization. It doesn't seem like any thought was put into enemy patterns or timing; it's just a messy onslaught of bad guys until you get to the boss. The stages have no diversity. One stage is just a repeating highway road. Another is just a repeating body of water. The game is simply not fun. The best things about the game are the name and the sprites (since I've seen a lot of retro style games create gross, period-inaccurate sprites). I feel bad for whoever dumped hundreds of dollars into this game and is now trying to convince themselves that it was a worthy purchase.

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I hate to be a hater, especially when I know one of the creators browses this forum, but Skycurser is not good. At all. It's extremely barebones. Being good at the game requires 100% memorization. It doesn't seem like any thought was put into enemy patterns or timing; it's just a messy onslaught of bad guys until you get to the boss. The stages have no diversity. One stage is just a repeating highway road. Another is just a repeating body of water. The game is simply not fun. The best things about the game are the name and the sprites (since I've seen a lot of retro style games create gross, period-inaccurate sprites). I feel bad for whoever dumped hundreds of dollars into this game and is now trying to convince themselves that it was a worthy purchase.

Damn, no sugar coating there. How does it compare to NGDev games?

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
There’s plenty to love about the game but it’s not for everyone. I think a lot of it comes from people expecting some Cave level shit and the game isn’t that. It’s more like the shooters of the 80-90s era stuff. I like Skycurser mainly because it is simplistic in its design and doesn’t have some super weird scoring system. I mainly play shmups for survival, so this game is right up my alley.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Damn, no sugar coating there. How does it compare to NGDev games?

I've actually never played an NGDev game. The visual style just never really grabbed me, and the high price tags didn't help. I would like to give them a shot if I have the chance though.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
There’s plenty to love about the game but it’s not for everyone. I think a lot of it comes from people expecting some Cave level shit and the game isn’t that. It’s more like the shooters of the 80-90s era stuff. I like Skycurser mainly because it is simplistic in its design and doesn’t have some super weird scoring system. I mainly play shmups for survival, so this game is right up my alley.

It’s lots of fun for me too. I don’t regret anything about my purchase. I love the sprites, I love the Music, and it’s the best looking wood cab I have owned. I exclusively played arcade games for several years so was refreshing to have a genuine new arcade game to play. Plus as mentioned, how often do we get fun horizontal shooters? If I tried to compare it to a gradius or progear I would have to agree it’s not at that level of fun for me, but it’s by no means bare bones and awful in my opinion. For a first effort that’s not even complete yet you have to admit it’s Damn good for a game made by 3 unseasoned game developers.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
A review is a review, there's never going to be a 100% rating on any game ever. It's funny because his review is how I feel about KOF98, I fucking hate it while it's so loved.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
A review is a review, there's never going to be a 100% rating on any game ever. It's funny because his review is how I feel about KOF98, I fucking hate it while it's so loved.

Funny enough, I don’t like 98 much either. I know it’s less broken than 97 but I think 97 is more enjoyable and less stiff than 98.