Neo Geo Framemeister profile wip:

FBX

Quiz Detective
Spent the day fine-tuning my 4x scale 1080p profile for the AES. Tomorrow I will do the same for 5x 1080p and 3x 720p. I will upload all 3 to my web site when I finish. Here's a screen cap of my unmodded AES3-3 at 4x scale in 1080p:

feTv3JP.png

-FBX

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
The pixel purist has Neo profiles already. I'm willing to give yours a chance though.

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Spent the day fine-tuning my 4x scale 1080p profile for the AES. Tomorrow I will do the same for 5x 1080p and 3x 720p. I will upload all 3 to my web site when I finish. Here's a screen cap of my unmodded AES3-3 at 4x scale in 1080p:

feTv3JP.png

-FBX

Awesome. Will these work for MVS as well?

The pixel purist has Neo profiles already. I'm willing to give yours a chance though.

FBX = Firebrandx = The Pixel Purist :)

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Heh. Sorry. I started to wonder as I posted. Thanks for your efforts. I've used the profiles in all my Youtube vids.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member

feTv3JP.png

-FBX

That Kick is so deadly.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Got any profiles for other consoles?

Edit - found your webpage ;)

Last edited:

xterc

n00b
FBX,

I was thinking of writing a windows editor for the Framemeister data files. It look like a fairly straightforward binary format (fixed file size etc.). Do you know if the format is documented anywhere?

FBX

Quiz Detective
FBX,

I was thinking of writing a windows editor for the Framemeister data files. It look like a fairly straightforward binary format (fixed file size etc.). Do you know if the format is documented anywhere?

Sadly I do not. I could really use an editor for the profiles though, as doing mass changes in settings takes an entire evening to knock out manually at this point.

Anyway, I finished fine-tuning the AES profiles with masking and color correction. Now in this case because I am using an unmodded 3-3, I've had to set the A/D level to 160, which corrects the brightness level of the stock RGB output. When I upload these files, I'm going to warn users that if they are on a bypass-modded AES, they should lower the A/D back down to the 130s range. I'm going to include the monitor test ROM for NeoSD users so they can use the color bar test pattern to adjust A/D with (the trick is to watch the top two green shades and adjust A/D until they are distinguishable without crushing them together).

Since I want to hold off on an official new package update until I finish re-vamping PS2 profiles, I'll just post the new AES profiles here for y'all to use for now:

http://www.firebrandx.com/downloads/aesprofiles.zip

Included in the package is the montest.neo ROM for NeoSD users to calibrate A/D with.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
When is the PCE profile due out? We've been using the NES one.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
There's a TDUO one that has been in the package for months now. ;-)
Seems like I'm wrong about everything in this thread! I wonder why my brother didn't find it. Thank you!

Excellent work on these FBX, they look great. Been looking for a Framemeister site like yours for a while.

I've been using the previous profile on my consolized MVS for a while, but I notice in some games, things that should be blue are purple. Also almost anything white looks like a solid block of white with no detail. I'm sure this is because AES and MVS have different characteristics, but if I may ask, what settings should I change in order to correct this?

xterc

n00b
I managed to spend a bit of time tonight looking at the locations in the .BIN file for certain settings. The format is pretty straightforward and not check-summed in any way. Here are my initial findings:

ADD SETTING
2E4 H_WIDTH
2E5 V_WIDTH
2E9 H_SCALER
18 & 1F HDMI_OUTPUT: 0=480_60p,1=720_60p,2=1080_60i,3=1080_60p
2D8 A/D_LEVEL
2DE H_POS
2DF V_POS
2EA V_SCALER
2F5 SKEW
2F9 ZOOM_SIZE
2FA ZOOM_H_POS
2FB ZOOM_V_POS
2FC ZOOM_WIDTH
2FD ZOOM_OVERSCAN

I've mapped out 155 separate setting entries, but I imagine I'm missing some.

FBX

Quiz Detective
I've been using the previous profile on my consolized MVS for a while, but I notice in some games, things that should be blue are purple. Also almost anything white looks like a solid block of white with no detail. I'm sure this is because AES and MVS have different characteristics, but if I may ask, what settings should I change in order to correct this?

First, you need to calibrate A/D to your specific Neo Geo setup. Easiest way to do this is to use the montest.neo ROM I provided in the current package (but requires a NeoSD). If you don't have a NeoSD, you'll have to use your best guess. Those ojects that are overblown with white are a good start. Lower A/D until you see the detail you should see. As for purple versus blue, you can't change hue in RGB input, so that sounds like an issue I really have no control over. At any rate, here's a recent video I posted on Youtube demonstrating the process of A/D calibration (please watch in 720 format, and my apologies for Youtube screwing up the frame rate and audio sync at the end):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W85qa2y8i44

I've mapped out 155 separate setting entries, but I imagine I'm missing some.

Awesome! If you get it all worked out, can you post the full details as well as an editor I can use to change the values manually? Much appreciated!

Last edited:

xterc

n00b
I'll post every address and post a prototype editor which will just use Excel to read and write the BIN files. It won't be anything fancy, but it should provide an easy way to do bulk edits.

FBX

Quiz Detective
I'll post every address and post a prototype editor which will just use Excel to read and write the BIN files. It won't be anything fancy, but it should provide an easy way to do bulk edits.

Me love you long time! :-P

FBX

Quiz Detective
Got an OSSC. And yeah, blows the Framemeister away, but is quite a bit more complex to develop optimal settings for. I'm getting the hang of it though. Check out my AES in 4x optimal integer scaling on the OSSC, which I screenshotted with my Datapath Vision card:

Neo Geo - OSSC - 4x - 02.png

That's a raw unedited screenshot. Looks emulator-crisp!

Jumpingmanjim

Cheng's Errand Boy
FirebrandX What do you recommend for Capacitors/resistors on the RGB/sync lines when connecting an mvs to the framemeister?