White nationalists marching on UVa...

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Sometime before August 4th the document was made. He wasn't fired until after it went viral. Google cited the reason for termination as being it was against their handbook, but you know the real reason they fired him was because it became a news story. What choice did Google have? Could they have said "oh this guy did a bad, he never did anything bad before so we just reprimanded him" no way because then the story would then be that Google wasn't doing what the people wanted and they wanted this guy's blood. That is what companies do these days. Someone runs afoul of the loudmouths in today's society? They get fired. The companies do this to CYA.

When you're Google, that's a ton of "A" to "C". I know why they canned him, that's what happens and it is what it is.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Yes well it is just a recent example of a witch hunt being brought against a person for his thoughts, and this person had no power in his company or with his position to enforce those upon other people.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
It doesn't matter to current society that this person has no authority over anyone and cannot actually enforce his beliefs upon anyone else.

Without making comment on any of the other factors surrounding this case - it's my understanding that peer review is a significant factor in performance review/salary/promotion etc. at Google. Someone can correct me if that's changed, but in that environment he has at least some power to adversely affect female colleagues. Now, I suppose you can say 'just don't let this guy review people instead of firing him' and to that I'd say fair enough. There were obviously other factors involved in his firing.

Last edited:

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
What choice did Google have? Could they have said "oh this guy did a bad, he never did anything bad before so we just reprimanded him" no way because then the story would then be that Google wasn't doing what the people wanted and they wanted this guy's blood.

Google has pretty much all the choice - programmers aren't unionized. A police officer can dump two magazines into somebody and get "administrative leave", but a programmer will get fired for making a rude joke.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Without making comment on any of the other factors surrounding this case - it's my understanding that peer review is a significant factor in performance review/salary/promotion etc. at Google. Someone can correct me if that's changed, but in that environment he has at least some power to adversely affect female colleagues. Now, I suppose you can say 'just don't let this guy review people instead of firing him' and to that I'd say fair enough. There were obviously other factors involved in his firing.

Basically. If they let him stay they would be opening themselves to lawsuits.

Not that the snowflakes care or understand.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
The CEO of UnderArmor announced that he's stepping down from Trump's "American Manufacturing Council" due to the events surrounding Charlottesville and already the Trumpfags on Twitter are announcing their boycott. The guy is just trying to protect his brand, regardless of personal politics. If you're going to announce on social media that you're boycotting UA, why not just go all in and come out as a white supremacist?

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I personally don't see an issue with confederate monuments, but our nation needs to move forward past this race stuff, and removing them could be a very small first step.

The problem isn't confederate artifacts, it's stupid people that think a confederate flag stands for racism. They need a history lesson, parents, and a college education.

People are not going to look at these flags and monuments, and think "hey, I gonna become a racist fuck". Everyone here knows that racism isn't some genetic disorder you're born with, it's taught from birth by parents who have been handed down this garbage for generations. They would have been racist before they even seen the damn monument because of their family upbringing.

People claim racism is at an all time high. I think I disagree for the most part.

I never met my real father. My mom married a 6"6 black guy, who raised me from birth as his own. I remember kids trying to fight me growing up, parents of my friends forbidding me to hang out with them after my father picked me up after sleeping over (many times), and countless other things related to racism. In the 80's a black man marrying a white woman was still a weird thing. Everyone in the fucking neighborhood would be plotting in the background trying to figure out why a white woman married a black man. I can recount numerous times my fathers family tried to get him to divorce my mom to marry a black woman. Most people don't even blink an eye now, and there are a lot more bi-racial kids than there were when I was young.

For the most part I feel white and black intermingling is way more accepted than 30 years ago, but social media, the news, and the internet in general have been a means to bring out the negative in this world, and amplify it to an exaggerated amount. The racism is not single sided as the media would want you to believe either. There are racist assholes that are black and white in equal proportion.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Ugh, another greedo post.

Do you not understand how strange it is to have memorials to people who were traitors to the United States of America? Who, if their side won, would have perpetuated owning other human beings?

Do you not understand why it's messed up to be proud of raising a flag of traitors to America who were fighting for the right to own people?

A lot of this bullshit pride of the Confederacy can be traced back to the turn of the 20th century, which can be seen as a kind of revisionist history, because southerners were butthurt that they lost and didn't want to be depicted as evil pieces of shit:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Cause_of_the_Confederacy

It's why, when I was in school, I was taught about the advantages and disadvantages of the south and north, and that one of the advantages were how noble the Confederate generals were. Robert E. Lee, Stonewall Jackson and others have become legends.

I'm getting a headache just thinking how much bullshit I was spoonfed at school when it comes to the Civil War. I feel angry at myself for not recognizing this when I was in school at the time.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I beg to differ. When kids see the monuments they get a feeling that the boys who wore grey were a-ok.

Not sure how a confederate statue can work unless they put up statues of Osama Bin Laden and Saddam Hussein next to the confederate.

SpamYouToDeath

15 Year Member
I beg to differ. When kids see the monuments they get a feeling that the boys who wore grey were a-ok.

Not sure how a confederate statue can work unless they put up statues of Osama Bin Laden and Saddam Hussein next to the confederate.

You'd have to put up a few thousand statues of bin Laden to equal the amount of Americans killed by Confederates.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
A lot of this bullshit pride of the Confederacy can be traced back to the turn of the 20th century, which can be seen as a kind of revisionist history, because southerners were butthurt that they lost and didn't want to be depicted as evil pieces of shit:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Cause_of_the_Confederacy

Of course they were upset that they lost, but were they really evil pieces of shit?

They were men who fought for something they believed in. They lost. Then, when their generation was dying off, their children and grandchildren chose to honor them by raising money to put up statues of them.

Were they racist as we would regard racism today? Probably, but every man for his time. Lincoln is called the Great Emancipator, but if given the choice to reunite the country without freeing the slaves, would have taken that option. But instead he is honored, as he should be, but if you took Lincoln and placed him in time during the Civil Rights movement, he'd probably look as backwards as Wallace.

When Lee surrendered to Grant, Grant had him treated as an equal. He refused to allow his soldiers to celebrate the victory. "The Confederates were now our countrymen, and we did not want to exult over their downfall,"

For terms of surrrender, instead of taking prisoners and prosecuting on charges of treason, he paroled all who were engaged in revolt immediately:

wiki said:
In accordance with the substance of my letter to you of the 8th inst., I propose to receive the surrender of the Army of N. Va. on the following terms, to wit: Rolls of all the officers and men to be made in duplicate. One copy to be given to an officer designated by me, the other to be retained by such officer or officers as you may designate. The officers to give their individual paroles not to take up arms against the Government of the United States until properly exchanged, and each company or regimental commander sign a like parole for the men of their commands. The arms, artillery and public property to be parked and stacked, and turned over to the officer appointed by me to receive them. This will not embrace the side-arms of the officers, nor their private horses or baggage. This done, each officer and man will be allowed to return to their homes, not to be disturbed by United States authority so long as they observe their paroles and the laws in force where they may reside.

In light of things like this, I'm tempted to say that Federals in the field that had just fought for 4 years against the very same men that we are talking about their statues today, held them in higher regard than someone 100+ years removed from the events.

I'm not saying that any or all of these statues should remain. Personally, I take issue with any statues on public property. However, to take them down wholesale is every bit 'revisionist' history as to leave them all up.

After a nightmare weekend of Facebook where such ridiculous memes as "there is only one side" have taken root, I am disappointed but not really surprised that a striking number of Americans do not understand what it means to silence a minority group when you disagree with them. Simultaneously, they have allowed themselves to be trolled by what some estimates were fewer than 500 people. 500 people is less than you get for a high school football game in bumfuck whereeversville. Now they've multiplied their perceived strength by attaching them to basically anyone that voted for trump or really even anyone that didn't vote for Hillary. 500 skinhead, kkk, white power chucklefucks now represent the antithesis to the Democratic party. The idiots don't understand how that won't help change the course of future elections, but they'll shitpost memes on facebook to prove how 'active' they are in standing up to Nazis.

The tiki torches were a nice touch I thought.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Doesn't matter if they fought for what they believed in, there are few crimes worse than making another person a slave. Soldiers who fought to preserve the right to hold men and women as slaves, without rights against rape, or dismemberment, much less human dignity

Those soldiers were not good. They were not heroes. They deserve no statues.

Removing the statues doesn't remove the history. That doesn't mean you leave up the statue.

SpamYouToDeath

15 Year Member
The problem isn't confederate artifacts, it's stupid people that think a confederate flag stands for racism. They need a history lesson, parents, and a college education.

The Confederacy - and its flags - absolutely stands for racism.

Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner- stone rests upon the great truth, that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery -- subordination to the superior race -- is his natural and normal condition. [Applause.] This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth.
https://www.ucs.louisiana.edu/~ras2777/amgov/stephens.html

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Hey guise, I think we should destroy the pyramids. Ancient Egyptians used thousands of Jew slaves to build them, they're evil.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
There's a few things I try and steer well clear off in chat...

Politics and Religion...

SURE... it happens sometimes but all in all... the lads know that it usually ends up as a fuckfest...

xROTx

PS. On Topic... Society says we should be tolerant to each other and uphold the majority thinking....

Only issue with that is that some parts of the World have some fucked up views...

Say what you want about the USA... I admire their right to free speech... and their general citizens idea of what's fair...

SADLY... there are some folks that live there that are still in the stoneage with their thinking:(

EDIT: Which leads to the fact that I'm still amazed 'murika voted in a Blonde whacko as Prez....

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Hey guise, I think we should destroy the pyramids. Ancient Egyptians used thousands of Jew slaves to build them, they're evil.

WUZ

Pyramids were build by the blax, destorying them would be racist n' sheeeeeeit.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
blue is getting absolutely crushed next year

like mick foley belly flopping off a 30' cage

I mean how many L's do u need to take before u change up the roster

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Yes well it is just a recent example of a witch hunt being brought against a person for his thoughts, and this person had no power in his company or with his position to enforce those upon other people.

It is best to keep your opinions on shit like this to yourself at work.

Of course they were upset that they lost, but were they really evil pieces of shit?

They were men who fought for something they believed in. They lost. Then, when their generation was dying off, their children and grandchildren chose to honor them by raising money to put up statues of them.

I would like to suggest that the neo-confederate romanticism of the early 20th century south has less to do with honoring a dying generation and more to do with reinforcing a certain power structure.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
I would like to suggest that the neo-confederate romanticism of the early 20th century south has less to do with honoring a dying generation and more to do with reinforcing a certain power structure.

I think there is a fair argument for that but I would suggest it is far more subconscious than people would like to think.

They weren't necessarily like "this statue of Robert E. Lee sure will teach those negroes their place". But rather, "man, that Robbie Lee was a great man, I think he needs a statue, oh, and we still hate blacks right? All in favor say aye".

But again, attempting to pinpoint the motivations of people long dead is difficult if not impossible.

I don't give two shits about the assholes who were marching, they can fuck off. However, there are far reaching implications in the way that some people have decided to essentially make simply being a Nazi worthy of being punched in the face.

I guess unlike some, I just think that it is possible to say that hate groups have a right to assemble without being a member of a hate group.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member

Were they racist as we would regard racism today? Probably, but every man for his time. Lincoln is called the Great Emancipator, but if given the choice to reunite the country without freeing the slaves, would have taken that option. But instead he is honored, as he should be, but if you took Lincoln and placed him in time during the Civil Rights movement, he'd probably look as backwards as Wallace.

When Lee surrendered to Grant, Grant had him treated as an equal. He refused to allow his soldiers to celebrate the victory. "The Confederates were now our countrymen, and we did not want to exult over their downfall,"

For terms of surrrender, instead of taking prisoners and prosecuting on charges of treason, he paroled all who were engaged in revolt immediately:

In light of things like this, I'm tempted to say that Federals in the field that had just fought for 4 years against the very same men that we are talking about their statues today, held them in higher regard than someone 100+ years removed from the events.

I'm not saying that any or all of these statues should remain. Personally, I take issue with any statues on public property. However, to take them down wholesale is every bit 'revisionist' history as to leave them all up.

After a nightmare weekend of Facebook where such ridiculous memes as "there is only one side" have taken root, I am disappointed but not really surprised that a striking number of Americans do not understand what it means to silence a minority group when you disagree with them. Simultaneously, they have allowed themselves to be trolled by what some estimates were fewer than 500 people. 500 people is less than you get for a high school football game in bumfuck whereeversville. Now they've multiplied their perceived strength by attaching them to basically anyone that voted for trump or really even anyone that didn't vote for Hillary. 500 skinhead, kkk, white power chucklefucks now represent the antithesis to the Democratic party. The idiots don't understand how that won't help change the course of future elections, but they'll shitpost memes on facebook to prove how 'active' they are in standing up to Nazis.

The tiki torches were a nice touch I thought.

lithy I think your post has some kind of whatabout-ism. I know Lincoln didn't care about freeing the slaves unless it meant helping end the war. But this isn't about Lincoln, dawg.

I'm also well-aware of the Confederates being pardoned. This is a good move in helping re-establish harmony in the nation. You didn't address The Lost Cause. The statues were put up originally because of revisionist BS, and you're saying taking them down would be revisionist as well..what?

Yeah, there were 'only' 500 people who showed up to the rally. Unfortunately there are many more who support them or think they didn't do anything wrong, or that what they were doing isn't a big deal.

I used to think like you, that the two parties are two sides of the same coin. I do not think this way any longer. I'm burnt out, man. I'm burnt out from checking facebook a few times a year and seeing the insanity that people I'm acquainted with write. I'm burnt out from 'BUT HER E-MAILS', from people who still hate Obama because he was black, from people who would foam at the mouth for Obama golfing and yet are silent on Trump, from people who agree with Trump on every single issue or think dismantling the EPA is a good idea and think caring for the environment is for faggots.

I grew up in a city where there were 'The South Will Rise Again' merchandise at the mall. Where people with huge pick-up trucks had Confederate flag stickers on them. Where Confederate flags were just as common as American flags in some neighborhoods, the kind of neighborhoods where those people are missing some teeth and park on their front lawn.

And they don't vote Democrat. I guarantee you. I do not like the two party system. I do not endorse the Democratic party. But I'm calling it as I see it, and all those backwards ass, low-education, low-quality people vote Republican. Let me be clear, I am not saying everyone who votes Republican is an idiot. I am also not saying no idiots vote Democrat. I am saying that the vast majority of people who hated Obama and questioned his citizenship, that people who proudly wave the flag of traitors to the Union some 150 years ago, vote Republican.

I'm ranting now. Lemme wrap it up by saying I never said minority groups should be silenced (are you implying I said that?) but obviously if you're waving a Nazi flag and saying racist rhetoric there will obviously be consequences from that.

Holy shit will this be a drunkpost I'll regret in the morning? Mao I hope what I wrote makes sense.

edit: lithy I also remember some years ago you said the Civil War was about states' rights. I used to think so too. The education system failed us

Last edited:

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
blue is getting absolutely crushed next year

like mick foley belly flopping off a 30' cage

I mean how many L's do u need to take before u change up the roster

It doesn't matter who wins in 2018, we all lose.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I guess unlike some, I just think that it is possible to say that hate groups have a right to assemble without being a member of a hate group.

Trying to deconstruct an argument about the motivations of racial nationalism into an argument about one's "Right to Assemble" is akin to deconstructing an argument about slavery into that of "States Rights".