White nationalists marching on UVa...

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
:rolleyes:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/12/us/charlottesville-protest-white-nationalist.html

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. A planned protest in Virginia by white nationalists was abandoned on Saturday after a spate of violence prompted the governor to declare a state of emergency and law enforcement officers to clear the area.

The demonstration, which both organizers and critics had said was the largest gathering of white nationalists in recent years, turned violent almost immediately and left several people injured.

The turmoil began with a march Friday night and escalated Saturday morning as hundreds of white nationalists gathered. Waving Confederate flags, chanting Nazi-era slogans, wearing helmets and carrying shields, they converged on a statue of Robert E. Lee in the city's Emancipation Park and began chanting phrases like "You will not replace us", and "Jew will not replace us."

Hundreds of counterprotesters quickly surrounded the crowd, chanting and carrying their own signs.

By 11 a.m., the scene had exploded into taunting, shoving and outright brawling. Barricades encircling the park and separating the two sides began to come down, and police temporarily retreated. People were seen clubbing one another in the streets, and pepper spray filled the air.

The police cleared the area before noon, and the Virginia National Guard arrived as officers began arresting some who remained for unlawful assembly. But fears lingered that the altercation would start again nearby, even as politicians, including Gov. Terry McAuliffe of Virginia, a Democrat, and Representative Paul Ryan, Republican of Wisconsin and the House speaker, condemned the violence.

A couple of hours later, a car plowed into a crowd of counterprotesters, and city officials said there were multiple injuries after a three-car crash.

Emergency medical personnel treated eight people after the earlier clashes, the Charlottesville Police Department said. It was not immediately clear how severely they were hurt. Several area hospitals did not return telephone calls seeking information.

The fight was the latest in a series of tense dramas unfolding across the United States over plans to remove statues and other historic markers of the Confederacy. The battles have been intensified by the election of President Trump, who enjoys fervent support from white nationalists.

The president commented on the violence Saturday afternoon, tweeting, "We ALL must be united & condemn all that hate stands for. There is no place for this kind of violence in America. Lets come together as one"

The protest, billed as a "Unite the Right" rally, was the culmination of a year and a half of debate in Charlottesville over the fate of the Lee statue. A movement to remove it began when an African-American high school student here started a petition. The City Council voted 3 to 2 in April to sell it, but a judge issued an injunction temporarily stopping the move.

The city had been bracing for a sea of alt-right demonstrators, and on Friday night, hundreds of them, carrying lit torches, marched on the picturesque grounds of the University of Virginia, founded in 1819 by Thomas Jefferson. The group included prominent white nationalist figures like Richard Spencer and David Duke, a former imperial wizard of the Ku Klux Klan.

We're going to fulfill the promises of Donald Trump to take our country back, Mr. Duke told reporters Saturday. Many of the white nationalist protesters carried campaign signs for Mr. Trump.

University officials said one person was arrested and charged Friday night with assault and disorderly conduct, and several others were injured. Among those hurt was a university police officer injured while making the arrest, the school said in a statement.

Theresa A. Sullivan, the president of the university, strongly condemned the Friday demonstration in a statement, calling it é›»isturbing and unacceptable.

Still, officials allowed the Saturday protest to go on until the injuries began piling up.

The city of Charlottesville declared a state of emergency at around 11 a.m., citing an 妬mminent threat of civil disturbance, unrest, potential injury to persons, and destruction of public and personal property.

Governor McAuliffe followed with his own declaration an hour later.

"It is now clear that public safety cannot be safeguarded without additional powers, and that the mostly-out-of-state protesters have come to Virginia to endanger our citizens and property," Governor McAuliffe said in a statement. "I am disgusted by the hatred, bigotry and violence these protesters have brought to our state over the past 24 hours."

The Republican candidate for governor in Virginia, Ed Gillespie, issued his own statement denouncing the protests as "vile hate" that has "no place in our Commonwealth."

Mr. Ryan agreed. "The views fueling the spectacle in Charlottesville are repugnant," he said on Twitter. "Let it only serve to unite Americans against this kind of vile bigotry."

How fitting that this happens at a school founded by a slave owner.

CaseyTappy

Tung's Hair Stylist
Just watched some of it and it's scary shit , nazi's , KKK, white supremacists openly demonstrating .

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
Q1w9x0.gif

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
On top of this, a helicopter when down a few miles from Charlottesville and more people lost their lives.

This has been a HUGE topic of debate in Virginia over the past few months. One side says the Confederates monuments need to go because of their beliefs, one side says they should stay up due to their historical significance in how they shaped the country (even though not in a good way.) And don't even get me started on the alt-right.

Personally I think it is time for them to go. The world has changed, even if many citizens are not ready to move on.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
There are plenty of statues/monuments around the world of questionable people, it's history and it doesn't have to be nice and forgetting about it isn't a good idea. This entire thing is blown out of proportion...

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I really don't have a problem with these statues being taken down. Robert E. Lee was the general of an army that was at war with the United States, in which over 360,000 of *our* soldiers were killed because the southern states weren't willing to stop ENSLAVING an entire race of people. Fuck Robert E. Lee. What if Yaphank, NY had a statue of fucking Erwin Rommel in the town square? Or if in Japantown in SF there was a stature of Hideki Tojo? That would be cool because it was a part of history? Why do the southern states get this free pass to hang on to confederate bullshit? Fuck that.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I'm just waiting for Lithy to start another thread blaming it all on me.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
There are plenty of statues/monuments around the world of questionable people, it's history and it doesn't have to be nice and forgetting about it isn't a good idea. This entire thing is blown out of proportion...

The problem is public land and tax-payer dollars being used to display and maintain such controversial monuments. Private land? Fine.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
When I came home last year, driving through Virginia, I saw an absolutely massive flag off the highway. Probably the biggest flag I've seen in my life. It was the Confederate flag. It was at that moment everything clicked, and I wondered just why in the hell are people still holding onto this.

I can't think of any other countries atm where the losing side of the civil war is so heavily romanticized and people still openly flaunt it. There are many questions that people who say 'Heritage Not Hate' need to ask themselves, that would require introspection but probably get angry after discussing it.

I remember as a kid thinking the Civil War was fought over slaves. Then in middle/high school was taught it was fought over states' rights.

I also remember in 2000 controversy about the Confederate flag being flown at the top of the South Carolina State Senate. It's so clear to me now, why would the state senate fly the traitors' flag? Why would the federal government not cut that out sooner?

IMO the federal govt has been far too kind when it comes to writing history about the Confederacy.

Lots of Virginians are straight up retarded about this. It's shameful.

Marek

Banned
Some alt right freak show ran his car into the counter protestors.

1 killed. 19 injured.

He's charged with 2nd degree murder, malicious wounding, failure to prevent an accident.

Trump condemns violence on both sides.

I wish hyper was there protesting and got smushed.

CaseyTappy

Tung's Hair Stylist
The mad king reigns so the critters openly come out of the woodwork, enjoy the nazi Trumpaloompa parade !

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
The problem is public land and tax-payer dollars being used to display and maintain such controversial monuments. Private land? Fine.

Fair point.

That nutjob ramming people.. the guy was only 20 and now his life is fucked. What a waste.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Just watched some of it and it's scary shit , nazi's , KKK, white supremacists openly demonstrating .

A sign of a free people.

(at least until the riot cops and national guard showed up)

P.S. This is all norton's fault.

Last edited:

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
The human race is just chock-full of colossal pieces of shit.

Black, white, jew, gentile - it don't matter. Every single one of us just yell retarded bullshit at one another.

Our species should be wiped off the face of the planet.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
The human race is just chock-full of colossal pieces of shit.

Black, white, jew, gentile - it don't matter. Every single one of us just yell retarded bullshit at one another.

Our species should be wiped off the face of the planet.

Depending on the day and the time, I completely agree. We, as a race, are really not good for anything. I always think back to Agent Smith's rant where he compares humans to a virus. We multiply, we consume at all cost, we destroy the host until have killed our very source of life.

I see so much beauty at times, I really do...but then I see what horrors so many are capable of, not only to each other, but to the planet we rely on for our very existence. There's so many times that I feel that humans really do deserve extinction.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Neo-Nazis are not real Nazis.
Are the people against Neo-Nazis or real Nazis? What is the line they draw, are all bad? How come no one is protesting in front of NASA or JPL? Or are those Nazis ok?

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I don't think so. It is a nice though but I doubt it works out that way in real life because those who are against these groups are just as blind to differences than those in the groups themselves. For there is a difference between someone who holds beliefs for themselves vs those who hold their beliefs over others, yet they are treated the same.

We know this because society is acting upon people for "thought-crime" or for people who have had their own beliefs revealed where they have no actual power. A recent example of this is that guy who got fired from Google just because someone found out what his thoughts or beliefs were. It doesn't matter to current society that this person has no authority over anyone and cannot actually enforce his beliefs upon anyone else.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I don't think so. It is a nice though but I doubt it works out that way in real life because those who are against these groups are just as blind to differences than those in the groups themselves. For there is a difference between someone who holds beliefs for themselves vs those who hold their beliefs over others, yet they are treated the same.

We know this because society is acting upon people for "thought-crime" or for people who have had their own beliefs revealed where they have no actual power. A recent example of this is that guy who got fired from Google just because someone found out what his thoughts or beliefs were. It doesn't matter to current society that this person has no authority over anyone and cannot actually enforce his beliefs upon anyone else.

lately, I've been pondering on this myself. I'm not sure how to answer that...and I don't think anyone else can either.

You have the easy targets, the extremists...on all sides, but they're really the vast minority. In between all of them you have everyone else. You see terms like "racist", "bigot", "sexist", "insert here" being chucked around like rice at a wedding...but its so hard to define with normal people because most people aren't extremist. Because of this, the type-casting of traits, or opinions, or likes, or dislikes has begun. "Oh, you like this thing/event/book/whatever? Well, you're a (insert stereotype here)".

Its getting to the point where liking some abstract thing will get you classified as some deviant. A prime example: "Are you a Muslim? Well, then you're a terrorist." Racist/Nazi is the new one...those labels get chucked around constantly when only in a small fraction of cases is it actually correct.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

He spread a memorandum that distinctly claimed women have a genetic disadvantage in the tech industry. I don't care what your beliefs dictate on the science, his memo ran afoul of the employee handbook rule prohibiting gender offensive discourse.

Thought crime my ass.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
He spread a memorandum that distinctly claimed women have a genetic disadvantage in the tech industry. I don't care what your beliefs dictate on the science, his memo ran afoul of the employee handbook rule prohibiting gender offensive discourse.

Thought crime my ass.

Sometime before August 4th the document was made. He wasn't fired until after it went viral. Google cited the reason for termination as being it was against their handbook, but you know the real reason they fired him was because it became a news story. What choice did Google have? Could they have said "oh this guy did a bad, he never did anything bad before so we just reprimanded him" no way because then the story would then be that Google wasn't doing what the people wanted and they wanted this guy's blood. That is what companies do these days. Someone runs afoul of the loudmouths in today's society? They get fired. The companies do this to CYA.