street art

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
what do you think about it?

I kind of hate it and always have.
I mean I love Banksy but then I think he is someone who properly uses the public space as a means of creating something truly artistic. it isn't mere decore.

like most of you (probably) I grew up in the 80s and 90s really enjoying graffiti for what it was. and some stencil works where interesting when they where vandalistic.

now it's just "urban aesthetic", same as break dancing - safe, stale, family friendly, government sponsored and in tandem with gentrification.

if there are any artists you enjoy particularly, please share.

I love art, but street art as well as much contemporary art is horrible and pretentious.

I should have made a thread about art in general but whatever, maybe later. I would enjoy sharing some artists' works I think are amazing.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I agree that it's bogus that governments / towns and cities have appropriated graffiti. That said, I think it's a shame that most of the west gives zero fucks about making what you see in everyday life pleasing. You look at Japan and the sewer covers are all artistic. 75% of the surface area in US cities is Brutalistic, maybe 10% is art deco, and the rest is modern done in the most boring way possible.

I also agree that graffiti used intentionally as vandalism - or if it's placed on anything other than a wall (e.g., statue, antique subway car, etc.) - is lame.

But I think a lot of it is enjoyable, takes a lot of practice, design skills, the ability to get up at 2AM and get away with it, etc. - in other words, there's plenty of merit to it.

If you think contemporary art is horrible and pretentious, you're definitely looking in the wrong places. Art's more accessible, communal, populist, etc. now more than ever. I'll post examples of who I like in a bit.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I agree that it's bogus that governments / towns and cities have appropriated graffiti. That said, I think it's a shame that most of the west gives zero fucks about making what you see in everyday life pleasing. You look at Japan and the sewer covers are all artistic. 75% of the surface area in US cities is Brutalistic, maybe 10% is art deco, and the rest is modern done in the most boring way possible.

I also agree that graffiti used intentionally as vandalism - or if it's placed on anything other than a wall (e.g., statue, antique subway car, etc.) - is lame.

But I think a lot of it is enjoyable, takes a lot of practice, design skills, the ability to get up at 2AM and get away with it, etc. - in other words, there's plenty of merit to it.

If you think contemporary art is horrible and pretentious, you're definitely looking in the wrong places. Art's more accessible, communal, populist, etc. now more than ever. I'll post examples of who I like in a bit.

awesome. look forward to it.
I was actually saying that I like the non legal sense proper graffiti has.
contemporary art is amazingly varied today that is true. there's too much snobbishness surrounding it tho, more than ever before.

fake

15 Year Member
Oh, I like that it's illegal. I just think it's shitty to deface pieces of history as opposed to making something like the side of a building look interesting.

I dunno, for the past six years or so, I've gone to non-stop parties with pop surrealist artists and everyone gets along. Things can get catty at times, but that happens with anything and everything.

Anyway, here are some of my favorite contemporary artists. Tasteful nudity may ensue.

563_copia.jpg

Piet-Parra-duo-02.jpg

tristram-landsdowne_.jpg

garant-002.jpg

matthew-woodson.jpg

foxface_web.jpg

6.jpg

2129967_orig.jpg

BeckPortfolio.jpg

Detail-Candy-Escape-Exhibition-Painting-865x577.jpg

yusuke6.jpg

print-n011-canvas.jpg

carhartt-wip-michael-lau-playwork-feature.jpg

All 80's and 90's rap/hiphop culture items have gotten played...music/art/clothing/anything...

i still like it though...it is annoying to see so much of it these days, but im more annoyed by exclusive things that people with alot of expendable cash purchase just to be more down then the next guy...

check out GATS from the bay area, i would see his stuff all over oakland and the east bay about 10-15 years ago...he's getting pretty popular now

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
some brilliant stuff there FakeX. this is a very playful take on art, I will look more into some of these artists.
since we're giving way to contemporary art in general I will throw in a few things that have caught my attention over the past couple of years

these 2 artists in particular: David Favrod and Folkert Dejong
DavidFavrod-HYAKUMONOGATARI_01.jpg
DavidFavrod_GAIJIN_15.jpg
DavidFavrod_GAIJIN_10.jpg
DavidFavrod_OMOIDEPOROPORO_04.jpg
2009 03 Old Boy.jpg
2009 04 Infinite Silence (detail).jpg
folkert_dejong_dance_3.jpg
folkert_dejong_dance_4.jpg
folkert_dejong_peckhamian1.jpg
saltimbanques.jpg
07.jpg
folkert_dejong_coen_detail.jpg

fake

15 Year Member
Gianmarco Magnani / Silence Television is tops. I really should go get his prints one of these days

http://www.bikeexif.com/motorcycle-art

http://silencetv.com/blog/

Ha - good eye. I've been procrastinating on buying his stuff for a long time. I just kinda feel like a sucker buying inkjet prints, even if they're on canvas or whatever. I'd plop down $100 for a real 10x10 screenprint no problem, but the only "giclee" print I have is from Alex Garant, and that's hand-embellished, so I'm OK with it.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
street art isn't art. It's vandalism.
I thought it was bad here, and then i went to Europe. That whole damn place is tagged, and it's rather unfortunate.

If you are referring to artists that live on the street, well then it's just art. It doesnt need to be called street art.

If you want a right wing rich white person perspective, then watch this video. Sure it's a republican channel, but there's a handful of common sense there.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Street art as in those giant building sized murals or the little space invaders tiles in and around trendy cities

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Street art as in those giant building sized murals or the little space invaders tiles in and around trendy cities

hm. well, I was in Kazakhstan last month. Stopped in a small city in the literal middle of nowhere...the bus ride there, 700 kilometers just nothing. and then here's the city. well as it turned out, was very interesting and i stayed there for a day.

Soviet murals on apartment buildings from the 60s:

k1.png
cosmonaut

k2.jpg
Yuri Gagarin

k3.jpg
Why is the Soviet symbol still there, it's been 25+ years since Kazakhstan became independent...well, maybe they're just lazy or don't care enough

if you're interested, the name of this city is Zhezkazgan.
I saw some more of these in the former capital, Almaty, if you're interested.

edit: from the city's wiki, hah, interesting, explains a lot: Soyuz spacecraft returning cosmonauts from outer space land in the remote flat countryside surrounding Jezkazgan. The Baikonur Cosmodrome lies 400 kilometres (250 mi) to the southwest and, by tradition, every cosmonaut plants a tree on Jezkazgan's Seyfullin-Boulevard to mark his or her safe return from space

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
hm. well, I was in Kazakhstan last month. Stopped in a small city in the literal middle of nowhere...the bus ride there, 700 kilometers just nothing. and then here's the city. well as it turned out, was very interesting and i stayed there for a day.

Soviet murals on apartment buildings from the 60s:

View attachment 46212
cosmonaut

View attachment 46213
Yuri Gagarin

View attachment 46214
Why is the Soviet symbol still there, it's been 25+ years since Kazakhstan became independent...well, maybe they're just lazy or don't care enough

if you're interested, the name of this city is Zhezkazgan.
I saw some more of these in the former capital, Almaty, if you're interested.

edit: from the city's wiki, hah, interesting, explains a lot: Soyuz spacecraft returning cosmonauts from outer space land in the remote flat countryside surrounding Jezkazgan. The Baikonur Cosmodrome lies 400 kilometres (250 mi) to the southwest and, by tradition, every cosmonaut plants a tree on Jezkazgan's Seyfullin-Boulevard to mark his or her safe return from space

That's very interesting for sure. Would love to go

NERDtendo

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
My tiny town just put out an ad looking for a street artist to paint the side of a building on the south side of the tracks. I'm interested to see what comes of it.