Night Trap

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I remember when my mom's best friend and her fiance came over to visit and he brought a rented Sega CD model 1 and a few games, we checked out Night Trap, laughed at how ridiculous it was, and promptly played Streets of Rage on the classics compilation.

It's funny that there was even a conversation about this trash.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
What's funny is how this once "M" rated game that helped bring about the ESRB... now has a "T" for teen rating

GreyFox

n00b
Nope - I am gutted to have missed out. I watched the countdown and acted as quick as I could to buy it but despite adding it to my basket and then paying by PayPal due to my wifi being a little slow it took two minutes by which time the game was sold out. Gutted!

While I understand a lot of the comments on here regarding over paying for a game that is available digitally and also that was never that good to begin with there are a few reasons I wanted a physical copy:

I wanted to give this game to my sister as a gift as we spent hours as kids playing it when we were growing up. Despite the game being limited we had a lot of fun with it.

My connection is slow so the thought of downloading it is painful

Nostalgia

It is nice to have something physical to wrap up as a gift

So while I understand a lot of the negativity around this particular game (and genre of games) I have a lot of fond memories and remastered copy would have been ace. Just a shame I have missed out.

"I'm gonna change the code to.......(slightly different voice)...ORANGE"

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
FMV games almost ruined the industry during the CD era.

I've been on a mission the last year to stop collecting, and that started with not ordering LRG. I love what they do, but no more plastic crap for me. Besides, east asia soft is doing it better.

Last edited:

JohnnyFever

Mr. Big's Thug
The comment earlier about Sewer Shark was hilarious. I remember getting my Sega CD...the good ol' front loader....at Babbage's. I was so excited. I got it home and really enjoyed the pack-ins (Genesis Collection and Sol-Feace with its awesome soundtrack), but Sewer Shark and Night Trap....Jesus....why? They were crap games back then. They are crap games now. You want to get your sister a sweet Sega CD game? Track down SamSho for it...Snatcher...Lunar....so many good games are out there for it. Road Avenger...so great. Hell, Eternal Champions on Sega CD was a fairly solid game.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I was with my friend when he purchased a Sega CD model 2 and Sewer Shark was the pack in. He was so excited about getting it, but when we got it hooked up and stuck in Sewer Shark... Luckily there were good games on the system, but man that game was such a festering turd.

I see the Night Trap CE comes with an audio cassette? I had a ton of tapes back in the day, traded bootlegs on them excessively, but CDs kicked their ass for pre recorded music. I totally get the vinyl resurgence, but who the hell is nostalgic for cassettes? I just don't get it.

GreyFox

n00b
Yeah I get that. I have a whole load of cracking Mega Cd games but the reason I wanted to get the PS4 Night Trap for my sister is purely for nostalgia reasons. She doesn't exactly keep a Megadrive and Mega CD set up these days(but does have a PS4) but over twenty years ago we were both living at our parents still and we used to play Night Trap a lot.

I never said it was a good game - purely one I have fond memories of and that I wanted to get as a nostalgic gift. Missed out though. Just one of those things. She probably wouldn't play it anyway.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Yeah I get that. I have a whole load of cracking Mega Cd games but the reason I wanted to get the PS4 Night Trap for my sister is purely for nostalgia reasons. She doesn't exactly keep a Megadrive and Mega CD set up these days(but does have a PS4) but over twenty years ago we were both living at our parents still and we used to play Night Trap a lot.

I never said it was a good game - purely one I have fond memories of and that I wanted to get as a nostalgic gift. Missed out though. Just one of those things. She probably wouldn't play it anyway.

I understand this. Although I never played Night Trap on release, it is a game my partner and I played a lot when we first got together about 7 years ago. I'd never call it a good game, but we had a lot of fun with it. Sometimes games can be like movies and still be fun even when they're bad. Especially when that game is basically a movie

tomwaits

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
There are currently 51 ebay listings for Night Trap PS4... and the game hasn't even shipped yet. So, scalpers get an order placed with LRG for $30, post an ebay listing for $100+, get paid $$$, then re-ship when the game arrives. Does LRG make any effort to flag these flippers?

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I totally get the vinyl resurgence, but who the hell is nostalgic for cassettes? I just don't get it.
Millennial hipsters who weren't around when cassettes were at their peak. They're like, retro, man!

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
There are currently 51 ebay listings for Night Trap PS4... and the game hasn't even shipped yet. So, scalpers get an order placed with LRG for $30, post an ebay listing for $100+, get paid $$$, then re-ship when the game arrives. Does LRG make any effort to flag these flippers?

Why would they? Limited Run Game's only goal was to sell out of a print run. They made their sale regardless of who bought it and what that person/company ends up doing with it.

Could they be like IAm8Bit and take pre-orders for months and do normal reprints of discs? Sure, but they clearly don't give a crap about that and just want quick influxes of cash as they're literally "Limited Run Games."

Millennial hipsters who weren't around when cassettes were at their peak. They're like, retro, man!

I haven't been following the whole bizarre Cassette tape revival. When did this happen?
I know there was a sudden spike in Cassette announcements after that Record Store Day exclusive "Guardians of the Galaxy" Cassette was released. Is it linked to that doing well?

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I haven't been following the whole bizarre Cassette tape revival. When did this happen?
I know there was a sudden spike in Cassette announcements after that Record Store Day exclusive "Guardians of the Galaxy" Cassette was released. Is it linked to that doing well?
Probably like 3 years ago. Prices on used decks have gone up as well in that time frame. I don't know that I'd call it a full on revival, just something new for hipsters to cling to from a prior generation since their generation is shit.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Probably like 3 years ago. Prices on used decks have gone up as well in that time frame. I don't know that I'd call it a full on revival, just something new for hipsters to cling to from a prior generation since their generation is shit.

When CD's come back we'll all make a fucking killing.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Alex Jones' Info War is getting a limited release on Mega CD
Preorder now before all frogs turn gay!

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
I wonder if the same people that are into cassettes now will be the same people into CDs 10 years from now.

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
I got the LE for this because I am a sucker for the longbox Sega CD games.

I guess I don't really understand all the FMV hate, I enjoy the games for what they are/were and they're normally fun to sink some time into. I played hours upon hours of Sewer Shark back in the day and enjoyed it along with plenty of other Genesis/CD titles.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
That's probably another 10+ years out. Start stocking up on dollar CDs from the thrift stores now!

I've seen people walking around with Discmans again, CD's aren't back in style?

Also I got a copy of Night Trap cause memories

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
This game has always been shit from day one, I don't understand WTF is going on with people buying this but hey, have a ball!

bartre

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
I've got a bit of a soft spot for the game, despite it being the complete turd it is in reality.

would have liked a copy, but I missed out and ain't no way a scalper is getting my money on this.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
if you guys think the cassette tapes are weird you should see how many loser fucks are carrying around bottles of poppers (VHS Cleaner) and hitting it like they could be having gay anal sex at any moment in any bathroom

(if you aren't aware, poppers outside of a medical circumstance are most often used as an accessory for anal sex among gays)