New 2DSXL - help me not hate this thing

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
So, I bought a 3DSXL back when they came out so I could play Luigi's Mansion. Excellent game - the system gathered copious amounts of dust after that as the Vita was just an all around better handheld system.

Shoot forward a couple/few years. I buy a New 2DSXL because for some reason I told myself I want to play Xenoblade Chronicles. I am about an hour into that game and I am just not digging it like I thought I would. This system is really not friendly to the eyeballs. I am not used to seeing pixels and blurry textures like this. Vita has definitely spoiled me.

That said, I am loving Azure Striker Gunvolt.

So, the reason for this thread is for me to ask for 3DS recommendations that are not rereleases of old N64 games or Mario Kart.

The library seems so sparse from first glance.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I don't want to mention Nintendo Games since your probably looking for something outside of Nintendo but

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

The Sega Classics games you could download and they are pretty dope.

River City Tokyo Rumble

wju2004

Armored Scrum Object
Honestly, going from the New 3DSXL to the Vita, I can feel your pain. After I started playing a few games on the Vita, it was hard to go back to my 3DSXL. I had been waiting for a 2D version that could be closed, but ended up buying the 3DSXL after not seeing the 2DS doing all that well.

Plus, now with the Switch out, I couldn't tell you the last time I picked up my 3DS. I know I was playing Mario Kart and Smash Brothers, but other than that...don't think I was playing much else. (Other than perhaps a few older games from the e-shop.)

It still has its place, but other than things like Fire Emblem & Pokemon, there isn't much that isn't another Mario or Zelda game...or remakes.

I realize this is sort of the opposite of what you'd hoped to hear, but have to be honest that my 3DS just sits in the case anymore. Vita & Switch are now my on the go systems.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Fire Emblem Awakening
Super Mario 3D Land
New Super Mario Bros 2
Pokemon X and Y
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Bravely Default
Bravely Second
Story of Seasons

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Fire Emblem Awakening
Super Mario 3D Land
New Super Mario Bros 2
Pokemon X and Y
Bravely Default
Bravely Second
Story of Seasons

On top of this

Zero Escape and it's Sequel
Pokemon alpha and Omega are solid and have a ton of replay value
Metal Gear Solid 3
Resident Evil Revelations
Smash Bros
Professor Layton
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy (I'm a sucker for the music)

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
The Zelda remakes are both pretty incredible (I know you say you aren't interested in these but seriously they're good), but I'd definitely play them in 3D. Skip MGS3 the frame rate makes it unplayable--stick to the collection on Vita. Buy Metroid in about a month.

Last edited:

lions3

Igniz's Servent
Of the newer consoles i'm only really playing ps4 and switch now. I love handhelds but I don't think i've touched my New 3DSXL since the last couple Dragon Quest games hit.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
The 2DS is really enticing, but then I remember that the only thing i played on my DS/DS Lite were GBA games and 2 or 3 DS games.

Metroid isn't going to make me buy the system, unfortunately, and I LOVE Metroid II.

Anything worth downloading off of the shop that hasn't already been mentioned by everyone else?

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Fire Emblem Awakening
Super Mario 3D Land
New Super Mario Bros 2
Pokemon X and Y
Bravely Default
Bravely Second
Story of Seasons

nice - thx!

Bravely Default/Second are heavily tempting me

I don't want to mention Nintendo Games since your probably looking for something outside of Nintendo but

The Sega Classics games you could download and they are pretty dope.

River City Tokyo Rumble

Definitely gonna check out River City thx

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Outrun
Afterburner
Streets of Rage 2
Gunstar Heroes
Shovel Knight
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
Mario Golf
Steam Dig Fistful of Dirt

just what comes to mind for now, I'll post more later.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Outrun
Afterburner
Streets of Rage 2
Gunstar Heroes
Shovel Knight
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
Mario Golf
Steam Dig Fistful of Dirt

just what comes to mind for now, I'll post more later.

Since the 2DS is...2D I think I am gonna skip the sega remakes - since I feel as though I've bought all those games enough over the last 30 years hahah.

Mario Golf though....gonna check some vids. I do love golf games thx

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Outrun & Afterburner are well worth the money, 60FPS, play better than all the other ports, maybe even edging out the Sega Ages for Saturn.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Never said it didn't, but even so, the 3DS port has a serious quality to it, wide screen without stretch coming into play, smooth controls, if you have the circle pad pro is plays awesome for After Burner's thrusters. Great set of games, even Super Hang -On.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I'm not all that impressed with either one to be honest. The 3ds/2ds has alot of cool Nintendo stuff and some cool downloadable stuff and the Ps vita has some cool stuff as well but it seems like all the stuff is JRPGS which I can't stand. I want to see more cool platformers like Slain and Murumasa, beat'm ups like Dragon's Crown, cool shit like Axiom Verge but instead they keep releasing these gay Rpg's.

Most of the games on my Vita are old PS1 and PSP games.

Igakajook

Armored Scrum Object
Most of the games on my Vita are old PS1 and PSP games.

I guess my thought was that if more people had jumped on board the vita, more publishers would have been willing to make games for it. But yeah, as it stands, it is very niche.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Atlas has been putting out some nice stuff on 3DS if your into RPGs. They have a few new ones coming out in the coming months too.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Fantasy Life has not been mentioned yet, that is my favorite game I've played on the 3DS. I personally love the system, and with DS support there is so much to choose from. I'm sure you'll find some cool stuff to enjoy.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
A few more that no one else mentioned but may be worth a try:

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate
Etrian Odyssey
Monster Hunter (I think there are two or three of those one the 3DS)
Project X Zone
Attack of the Friday Monsters
Swords and Darkness
Senran Kagura Burst
Legend of Legacy

I also enjoyed playing Mario & Luigi Dream Team Bros and some of the LEGO games.

This makes me wonder why the Vita didn't sell better.
The Vita was way too expensive at launch. I had imported a Japanese PSP (370€ with Lumines) before the European launch and never really enjoyed it as much as I thought I would. That's why I never got a Vita. I did pick up a PSTV for 25€, though.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Another major turn off about the vita at launch was the price of the memory cards. I didn't purchase a Vita up until last year. Refurbished Amazon joint $80, looks like new.

Last edited:

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Deeper research is up to you but I can recommend some stuff I had fun with in the past. Also a Gameboy Metroid 2 remake is coming out in a few months as well.

- Ace Combat Assault Horizon
- Castlevania Lords of Shadow Mirror of Fate (Castlevania3+SOTN+a little God of War)
- Adventure Time Hey Ice King Why'd You Steal our Garbage (Zelda 2 clone)
- Code of Princess (brawler with RPG elements, lots of unlocks)
- Hatsune Miku Project Mirai (yes it's j-pop rhythm game but the mechanics are fun)
- Tales of the Abyss (upgraded kind of RPG port from PS2)
- Pinball Hall of Fame Williams Collection (3D 80s/early 90s pinball tables found in Pinball Arcade)
- Dragon Quest (7 and 8 if you're into overly long RPGs)
- Theatrhythm Final Fantasy (and sequel Curtain Call)

Resident Evil Revelations is solid as is the conversion of Metal Gear Solid 3 but really must be used with the stick which the 2D/3DSXL had built in thankfully.

1st party stuff is kind of a given depending on taste but much to go around. I will say though Kid Icarus is fantastic and worth a peek as it was a hell of a comeback for a 20+ years dead franchise.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Outrun & Afterburner are well worth the money, 60FPS, play better than all the other ports, maybe even edging out the Sega Ages for Saturn.

This. The 3D classic series is awesome and justifies the purchase of a 3DS imo.