New 2DSXL - help me not hate this thing

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Even if I can only play in 2D?

The 3d is not for everyone but for me it was a breath of fresh air since I've played those games a million different ways. It will put a smile on your face the when you actually see those games running in 3d.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I rarely ever use the 3D. But it works better on the New 3DS and I find myself turning it on more often.

I'm really looking forward to Metroid. I'm not into buying themed consoles, but that newly announced Metroid one looks pretty awesome.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I don't have a new 3DS yet, only the 3DSXL regular red/black and I have the circle pad pro XL, works great but I can't play the SNES games and all the "new" only stuff. I might jump on that themed set up, definitely getting Samus Returns. I love the Circle pad Pro, makes the system beefier, easier to handle, I have rather big hands.

Igakajook

Armored Scrum Object
I rarely ever use the 3D. But it works better on the New 3DS and I find myself turning it on more often.

I hear a lot of people saying they never/rarely use the 3D. I feel like I'd end-up the same way, but I'm curious if it's ever needed to get through some games. Does the 2DS make certain games unplayable? Or even less playable?

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I hear a lot of people saying they never/rarely use the 3D. I feel like I'd end-up the same way, but I'm curious if it's ever needed to get through some games. Does the 2DS make certain games unplayable? Or even less playable?
All games are playable in 2D. The only ones that really miss the 3D games which require precise movement in 3D space such as Ace Combat, Super Mario 3D Land, Sonic Lost World, Pilotwings Resort, etc. The 3D really helps you judge distances more accurately.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
The Sega Classics Collection Vol 2 has Fantasy Zone II along with a few goodies. The game came out awesome, perfect for the 3DS.

Igakajook

Armored Scrum Object
The Sega Classics Collection Vol 2 has Fantasy Zone II along with a few goodies. The game came out awesome, perfect for the 3DS.

That's awesome. I take it that's the arcade-style remake and not the master system version, then? Fantasy Zone is classic.

Igakajook

Armored Scrum Object
All games are playable in 2D. The only ones that really miss the 3D games which require precise movement in 3D space such as Ace Combat, Super Mario 3D Land, Sonic Lost World, Pilotwings Resort, etc. The 3D really helps you judge distances more accurately.

I think I'm heading for a new 2ds xl, then. I just can't see 3D being worth the extra cost.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
It is the arcade version.

Also, no need to double post, learn to multi-quote.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
The other two Sega Classic collections are well worth it too if you have the means to play imports.

bb1207a49134d91996872429e76eced9.jpg

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I feel it's better than 3ds xl...................

I don't like that one either. I really wanted to give this system a second chance with the intro of this new hardware...plus, I thought the "new" aspect would make games look better than the standard 3DS....it doesn't

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I'd suggest the Fire Emblems and the Etrian Odyssey series. FE is still the best tactics RPG there is, IMO, and EO is very engrossing if you like old school dungeon crawlers.

There are also a bunch of good Shin Megami Tensei games. SMT IV and Apocalypse are straight up hardcore MegaTen (both really good), and Devil Survivor Overclocked and Record Breaker and Soul Hackers are all unique spins on the formula.

In the next six months or so SMT: Strange Journey Redux is coming out (the DS one is one of the best MegaTen games), and so is Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology (original on DS is really good and also really rare).

It's not a great system beyond RPGs, IMO, but 3DS' good RPGs are really, really good.

Oh, and there's a new Culdcept Saga game coming out, too. Atlus still supports it surprisingly strongly.

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
The standard size New 3DS is the best 3DS. Higher pixel density is the way to go, plus it has interchangeable faceplates.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Does the new 3DS higher pixel density means that it needs to upscale the image to the new screen? I've always preferred native rez over upscale.

@jro, faggit RPGs and lies...lol, there's a lot of gaming to be had on 3DS other than holding hand RPGs and shittastic crap like that.

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
No, all 3DS screens are the same resolution. The New 3DS is higher pixel density because the screen is smaller.