You KNOW things are bad in the retro game scene when...

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
...Atari Jaguar shit is expensive on ebay. I had a massive collection I kept since launch. Sold it all off when I was in college...never regretted it.

Bored at work I pull up ebay and see what Jaguar shit is on there...holy dammit christmas.

We are DOOOOMMMEEEDDDD

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Can you imagine paying a crap-load of money for a Jag only to get it and play it for the first time...

Back around 1999/2000, I bought a NOS lot of a Jag system and 3 games, all new in sealed boxes for some stupidly low amount like $100. It wasn't even worth that.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
It isn't that surprising simply because not many were produced and, despite its reputation, it does have some awesome games like Tempest 2000, AVP, Rayman, Wolfenstein, etc.

Less than 250,000 Jaguars exist in total.

I would have been pissed if I had gotten one instead of a better system like a PS1 or Saturn, but in absolute terms there is still fun to be had with the Jaguar.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
I was looking at Jag prices on ebay yesterday due to the forthcoming mulitcart from the lad SainT. They were averaging around $300 for the console.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
It isn't that surprising simply because not many were produced and, despite its reputation, it does have some awesome games like Tempest 2000, AVP, Rayman, Wolfenstein, etc.

Less than 250,000 Jaguars exist in total.

I would have been pissed if I had gotten one instead of a better system like a PS1 or Saturn, but in absolute terms there is still fun to be had with the Jaguar.

...or a 3DO for that matter. Imagine getting one of those overpriced bricks back when they were new. At least the Laseractive could play Genesis or TG16 games, so even as expensive as it was, it would have been a total loss.

I tried hard to love the Jaguar...I had one three different times but in the end, threw in the towel. Tempest wasn't reason enough to have one.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
I passed a boxed one up for $100 a few years ago, probably should have gotten it. This is one system I wouldn't mind getting a multicart for because I've never played anything on it, I still have hope I'll find one in the wild someday.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I had most games for the system, plus CDRom junk.

As mentioned, Doom, Wolf3d, Avp [sadly hasn't aged well] and a couple others are decent fun...but the whole thing is a letdown. Even with the "good games" on the system...still a letdown.

Highlander was a neat Alone in the Dark clone...but I could never finish it because it was so damn clunky and unbalanced.

I get the numbers game and how not many exist...but that's like saying Game.com's are worth $200 purely because of collectability and numbers. It's gross when that's all that matters and determines value of a console. I also gave the Jaguar years of dedication and money and had to pull the plug. It needs to always be a cheap console people can try out and experience the grossness.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I passed a boxed one up for $100 a few years ago, probably should have gotten it. This is one system I wouldn't mind getting a multicart for because I've never played anything on it, I still have hope I'll find one in the wild someday.

Read below:

I had most games for the system, plus CDRom junk.

As mentioned, Doom, Wolf3d, Avp [sadly hasn't aged well] and a couple others are decent fun...but the whole thing is a letdown. Even with the "good games" on the system...still a letdown.

This matches my thoughts 100%. I didn't ever have the CD add-on, but I had quite a few games, including all of the "must have" titles for the thing. It's a clunky system, and even the best games for it aren't that great (or can be found elsewhere). I'm pretty picky concerning controllers and the jag controller is total garbage.

The Jag really is a pathetic gaming system. I made fun of the 3DO earlier but I'll say this, given the choice between the Jag and the 3DO, I'd take the 3DO hands down.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Jag scene is hot right now. People are porting Atari ST games left and right. Some of them officially endorsed by the original developers.
The ports are mostly mediocre, but it would be interesting if Atari ST programmers start pushing some things to Jag with better features. The Jag indie scene has been a roller coaster of activity. years of nothing followed by a flurry of interesting stuff.

Jag CD's are notoriously unreliable, so they fetch a high price if they work. AFAIK there isn't an easy fix like with most sega cd's.

Interestingly, I have near complete sets of Jag and 3DO. 3DO was a console i have always really liked. The Jag was mainly a curiosity that I bought for Clearance at KB Toys. There was a ton of new old stock 2 years ago, and i bought a few cases at the time.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
The CDRom was pure junk. It breaks if you look at it funny.

Baldies was "OK" - hoverstrike CD was just the cart game w/CD music...ugh, this thread is bringing back awful memories.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Tempest 2000 is so good tho. I need to break my Jag out and try out those new FBX Framemeister profiles.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
There's really only one guy doing the ST ports. The Xenon port w/new music is actually pretty good, others aren't so hot.

I was just talking last night in chat about paring down my Jag collection, I'd rather sell Double Dragon V for $75 than keep it. I will never ever play that game.

I feel like its reputation for being a piece of shit has sparked interest. Probably ironic millennial hipsters that buy one just to experience its shittiness. Unless one already has pretty much every other console from the 90s, there's truly no point. Especially at today's prices. And the CD add-on has to be the worst bang for the buck in all of retro gaming.

Edit: The CD system gets a worse rap than it should for its reliability. In most cases, a simple cleaning will do. Worst case, a new laser. Otherwise there's very little to go wrong inside, it's not like a Sega CD that adds anything additional. It's pretty much just the BIOS, CD mech and controller.

Last edited:

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Its a good thing i never gave a shit about Jaguar & i still dont.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Jag CD's are notoriously unreliable, so they fetch a high price if they work. AFAIK there isn't an easy fix like with most sega cd's.

I remember reading somewhere that some of the jaguar cds are actually developmental versions, which is why they won't work on regular jaguars.

madman

I remember reading somewhere that some of the jaguar cds are actually developmental versions, which is why they won't work on regular jaguars.

Wrong on many levels. A Jaguar dev CD would have an interface on it to connect to a board in an ST Falcon. Also the dev BIOS allows booting of unencrypted CDs, so if anything, a dev CD player would play more CDs than a retail unit.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I remember copping a 3do upon it's launch and trading it off right away locally(private sale,not mom&pop import shop)for an AES Gold System and about 15 games. I really dodged that bullet because that NEXT BIG THING console was really being hyped up and didn't deliver.
BB

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
...Atari Jaguar shit is expensive on ebay. I had a massive collection I kept since launch. Sold it all off when I was in college...never regretted it.

Bored at work I pull up ebay and see what Jaguar shit is on there...holy dammit christmas.

We are DOOOOMMMEEEDDDD

Does anyone expect otherwise? No offense to you directly, OP, but this shit is getting old about retro games and their prices.

#RealTalk

madman

Does anyone expect otherwise? No offense to you directly, OP, but this shit is getting old about retro games and their prices.

#RealTalk

To be fair to PJ, the Jag prices have gone truly batshit insane since around 2015. Back then most games even NIB could be had reasonably cheap. Not 1999 $5/ea cheap, but still reasonable. Pro Controllers are like $200 now. Talkin' 'bout Attack of the Mutant Penguins for $80+? Get the fuck outta here.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Wrong on many levels. A Jaguar dev CD would have an interface on it to connect to a board in an ST Falcon. Also the dev BIOS allows booting of unencrypted CDs, so if anything, a dev CD player would play more CDs than a retail unit.

I stand corrected.

It is kinda weird people are doing homebrew games and ports on the Jaguar. It would seem to me their time could be used on much better systems imo.

Last edited:

wju2004

Armored Scrum Object
I remember being curious about the system and wanting it back when it came out, but of course couldn't afford it at the time. I never really knew all that much about it, but then again, at that time, it was just about wanting the newest things.

I had started looking into the Jag a year or so ago and when I saw the prices and limited quality releases, I gave up that idea rather quickly. If I could track one down at a good price, I might jump on it, but at today's prices...no way in hell!

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I had an extra Xbox (original) about 10 years ago and was able to trade it on Craigslist for both a Jaguar with games and a Virtual Boy. Even came with a Jag Pro Controller and Rayman.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Is there anything actually worth owning on the Jaguar in terms of replay value and fun? Are people just buying this shit just to say they have it? I'm guessing so, I doubt they're scooping this shit up just to play some old shitty Jaguar games.

God damn people are retards, collecting for the sake of it.