Solar Eclipse US Aug 21 2017

Cousin_Itt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
Anyone here planning to view the solar eclipse later this month? I only live an hour from the line of totality and am planning to go to a friends place to view. I hope it's not overcast that day. Will need to check the weather a few days in advance just in case I'll need to drive farther to see it

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I'm not planning on watching it myself, but a fair number of people around these parts are excited about it. The local library is even giving out free eclipse-viewing glasses (in fact, I observed an elderly woman pick up ten pairs of them roughly an hour ago).

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I'll probably forget that it even happens. Like last time there was an eclispe, I forgot to go outside. Oh well. I saw the one in the 90s, it was pretty cool.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
My brother is within the totality line in SC but I'm not driving 8 hours to see it.

It's ok to just stare at it right?

I got my telescope out last night to play around with. Couldn't take good pictures of Jupiter or Saturn but I took a moon pic. I wonder if there is a way to view the eclipse through the telescope without scorching my retinas.

20170808_220734.jpg

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I'm right in the path of it as well. I'm curious if you can just stare at it for a moment here or there. I don't think the problem is any different than staring at the sun any other day, it scorches you if you stare at it too long, and way too long you get eye damage. Also when totally covered it would be no problem as you'll just get the corona in view around a black disc.

JohnnyFever

Mr. Big's Thug
I've used a welder's mask on the past for checking out an eclipse. It worked really well.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I'm pretty well in the path, so I'll step out side to check it out. I've got my rake and shovel already but I still need to get me a good quality tarp.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Solar filters for telescopes are a thing. Don't point your telescope at the partially eclipsed sun without one. Don't look at the partially eclipsed sun without some kind of eye protection. Do look at the totally eclipsed sun without any eye protection.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Now I want someone to make a solar tarp. Imagine gazing at the eclipse under a giant fucking tarp.

Last edited:

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
When I saw the one in the 90s at school, we got some special glasses to view it. They are like those cheap paper 3D glasses for movies or whatever but with different plastic material for the lenses.

Marek

Banned
My brother is within the totality line in SC but I'm not driving 8 hours to see it.

It's ok to just stare at it right?

I got my telescope out last night to play around with. Couldn't take good pictures of Jupiter or Saturn but I took a moon pic. I wonder if there is a way to view the eclipse through the telescope without scorching my retinas.

View attachment 46098

My little town is in the totality line. Hotels have been booked out for years now.

They estimate 600k people are going to show up here regardless. There's only 10k residents in the county.

Ironically nashville, my hometown, is also on the totality line. So I can share this experience with my family at home.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Thankfully, St Louis is right in its path. I'll check it out over an early lunch.

NERDtendo

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
I got some glasses from my local library to check it out. I don't know how much it will be eclipsed in my neck of the woods, but the kids and I will check it out none the less.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Fun article about if a Solar Eclipse can really blind you:
https://www.livescience.com/20433-solar-eclipse-blind.html

"In the most famous case of all, Isaac Newton tried looking at the sun in a mirror, essentially blinding himself for three days and experiencing afterimages for months."

"Of the latter group, 12 reported that their sight had returned to normal seven months later, but four could still see the ghosts of the damage in their visual field, such as a crescent-shaped spot visible in dim light."

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Fun article about if a Solar Eclipse can really blind you:
https://www.livescience.com/20433-solar-eclipse-blind.html

"In the most famous case of all, Isaac Newton tried looking at the sun in a mirror, essentially blinding himself for three days and experiencing afterimages for months."

"Of the latter group, 12 reported that their sight had returned to normal seven months later, but four could still see the ghosts of the damage in their visual field, such as a crescent-shaped spot visible in dim light."

I accidentally looked into a projector for less than a second a few years ago. I could still see the circle shape of the lens for days afterward, which would turn sort of blue when I closed my eyes.

I can't find any viewing glasses. No luck at the local libraries, Best Buy, 7-Eleven, etc. I'm going to a viewing party at a library on Monday. They say they'll have a bunch, so I guess we just have to show up early.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
How many horses are going to get tortured and killed in the pale of the Wyoming moonlight?

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROCKET LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAGUE!!!!

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I was listening to the radio yesterday, and the disc jockey was talking about how some schools are seriously considering closing down for the day, due to the potential liability--I guess they don't want to be held accountable if little Jimmy or Joanie looks at the sun without their glasses on during the school day, which I can kind of understand.

Cousin_Itt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
A bunch of the schools in the path are closing down just due to traffic concerns. A bunch of the grocery stores have had their shelves cleared. Be safe everyone.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
A bunch of the schools in the path are closing down just due to traffic concerns. A bunch of the grocery stores have had their shelves cleared. Be safe everyone.

Why would people be hoarding groceries during an eclipse?