Mint kof98 , not starting

666sbm

n00b
hello mates, i have a mint kof 98 , blue case. it doesnt start.. i opened it and clenaed it good and no start. phisically it looks perfect.

running a mvs1-b board...

my idea is to try to fix it, i bough a basic logic probe last week to investigate....

where should i start? (or how) ?

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
does your motherboard play other games ok?

Post pics of the PCB's

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
If it doesn't even boot chances are your issue is on the PROG board. You get the crosshatch or some garbled mess? If it's the PROGSF1, the Altera chip could be shot. You'd have to look for a donor PROGBK1 and the proper P ROMs.

666sbm

n00b
motherboard is ok

i get the crosshatch when i boot.

so.. changing progbk1 should see any difference in booting?

and.. what are p roms? are they common to all games ?

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
P roms are the program roms and are unique to each game. You'll have to burn an unecrypted set from MAME to put onto the PROGBK1 board as well if you currently have a PROGSF1 set.

Does your KOF98 have a PROGSF1 board or a PROGBK1 board?

666sbm

n00b
PROGBK1

im trying to read about how to do this, butthis process is not very documented. "some guy" is trying to check if we can write the rom in his 44pin eeprom writer... anything i should know? anything to read ? where to find this rom?

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
How have you cleaned the cart? Have you used contact cleaner? Sometimes it can look clean but real stubborn dirt can stop the game from booting.

If it is clean check all the connections to the P Rom with a continuity test on a multimeter. If that's good, remove the P Roms and verify them against the MAME dumps.