Sonic Mania....

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
That basically confirms the vibes from the Eurogamer.net review.

It's unbelieable it has taken this long, but I'm delighted to hear Sonic 2D is back on form. I'll wait and see if it gets a proper physical release in the next month or so, but if not I'll dip digital for this. Sonic 4 Episode 1 was pretty shitty, never bothered with Episode 2.

For the record, I didn't think Sonic Generations was too awful. It played alot of tribute to the Megadrive and Mega CD games.

Agreed. I was looking forward to 4 but played a demo and did not enjoy it at all. I never bothered buying it when it came out. Generations and Colors were the best 2 titles of the last 10 years or so. I enjoyed both of them, but they never quite got up to the level of the old games.

Last edited:

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Bit of news on the Switch version from digital foundry.

‘ Sonic Mania is a breath of fresh air, its arrival impacted only by reports of laggy or even unresponsive home and power buttons on the Switch version of the game. It's an even we've tried and failed to replicate, though the video evidence out there is undisputable. Christian Whitehead is on the case though and a title update is expected. ‘

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...-mania-is-the-sequel-weve-waited-23-years-for

Sounds like the Switch version is a minor patch away from perfection, but a small delay on rhe home / power button isn稚 likely to upset the enjoyment of the game for anyone.

Igakajook

Armored Scrum Object
Sounds like the Switch version is a minor patch away from perfection, but a small delay on rhe home / power button isn稚 likely to upset the enjoyment of the game for anyone.

Does the Switch getting a digital release make it less likely that it'll get a physical release eventually? Does that ever happen?

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Does the Switch getting a digital release make it less likely that it'll get a physical release eventually? Does that ever happen?

Fast Racing Neo and Shovel Knight on Wii U both started out digital and got physical releases later, so its not impossible.

If sales are good, I think the chances of physical releases across all next gen consoles is likely.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
This game is AWESOME!!!! OMG this is what 2D should have evolved into all those years ago...imagine where it would be now? Very nice eye candy so far, controls are pretty tight like Sonic 2, this is it!!! Let's hope SEGA starts a strong movement, 2D doesn't have to devolve to retain charm of old, this game is clear proof!

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Agreed. I was looking forward to 4 but played a demo and did not enjoy it at all. I never bothered buying it when it came out. Generations and Colors were the best 2 titles of the last 10 years or so. I enjoyed both of them, but they never quite got up to the level of the old games.

Generations was a lot of fun. I have a problem where I get to a certain point with some Sonic games and I can't get any further, this happened to me with Colors.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I just finished it and had an amazing time playing it. It really did take me back to being 12 again.

The graphics, music and level design were all amazing. I'll be playing throught it again soon I'm sure.

This is one time when I kind of miss trophies/achievements. I'd actually quite like an excise to try to do everything.

Last edited:

Igakajook

Armored Scrum Object
This game is AWESOME!!!! OMG this is what 2D should have evolved into all those years ago...imagine where it would be now? Very nice eye candy so far, controls are pretty tight like Sonic 2, this is it!!! Let's hope SEGA starts a strong movement, 2D doesn't have to devolve to retain charm of old, this game is clear proof!

I'm glad to hear they took steps forward and evolved classic Sonic. All of the marketing for this game has been aimed purely at the nostalgia factor, so I was a bit worried the game would be a rehashing (especially after seeing the reused zone themes). So this is great news!

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I like the zone themes, that's what makes Sonic games stand out for me. Keeping that familiar feeling, I still think Sonic 2 is the best Sonic but this is a fantastic game. I'm only a 3rd of the way in, so far it's a tad light on difficulty, but it's ok, it makes for a great introduction to newcomers, this game can be loved by all, you don't have to be a hardcore Sonic fan to get your money's worth out of the DL version, 20 bucks is a no brainer.

As for the CE, I got it for switch, it's pretty cool, was hoping for a switch card release but at the same time I'm getting more and more used to digital media so I'm not heart broken, after all we mind as well get used to this 'cause digital media is the future.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
View attachment 46234

Look at the size of that thing!

Yeah, my Switch CE arrived today and I instantly regretted buying it the moment I saw how freaking humongous it was. I thought it'd be smaller...not this monstrous cube of a box that the collector in me has to find some place to store now.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
As for the CE, I got it for switch, it's pretty cool, was hoping for a switch card release but at the same time I'm getting more and more used to digital media so I'm not heart broken, after all we mind as well get used to this 'cause digital media is the future.
I just wish Nintendo would figure out DRM. I prefer digital, especially on portables, but I don't trust Nintendo in this area at all.

Igakajook

Armored Scrum Object
I just wish Nintendo would figure out DRM. I prefer digital, especially on portables, but I don't trust Nintendo in this area at all.

Like that you will lose access to your games at some point or with a new system? I was having similar feelings about digital movies.

Right now I hope I can get Sonic Mania running on wine for Linux when it comes out, but I'm getting antsy with all the positive reviews.

Last edited:

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Just finished playing through the first zone. They fucking nailed it with this game. I can't wait to see some of the brand new zones.
Do you guys play with the CRT filters on or off? I can't decide which looks better.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
CRT Sharp looks so nice, but "none" is my favorite, true clean uniform pixels in 1080p, it's really awesome! I think Clean it's meh but I can see some folks bitching about the graphics looking square, lol.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Sonic Mania is amazeballs!!!! Murica' Fuck Yeah! I wonder if the Japanese are pissed that we made the best Sonic game in decades?

Yoshi

20 Year Member
Like that you will lose access to your games at some point or with a new system?
Yeah, with the Wii U and 3DS, the purchases were primarily tied to the system. With the Switch they're tied to your ID, but you can't use them on more than one system, which is ridiculous compared to their competitors.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
patiently waiting for physical release (switch)......................

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
So I went to my friend's house the other day. He wasn't planning on buying it but could tell I was really excited so he got it for Switch. After about 20 minutes he said, "OK, I don't regret buying this at all." It's such a good game. I only have two complaints:

1. The right-hand inputs would start to lag after about ten minutes. If I hit the home button and then went back into the game, it would re-sync.
2. I feel like I'm in the sphere zone like 45% of the time I'm playing the game. But to be fair, it's an optional minigame; you can run right by the checkpoint poles.

Everything else is amazing.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
So I read that the internal resolution of this is 240p; it would be really cool if there is a Linux/Wine way to play this in the future where you can actually set that resolution for gaming on a CRT.

wju2004

Armored Scrum Object
Just got my PS4 collector's edition in, though will probably buy it for the Switch since I play more at work than at home on it. Haha.