Sonic Mania....

JRedmond3

NEST Puppet
Whatcha gonna do brother, when Sonic Mania runs wild on you?

The Sonic Cycle is OVER!!!!

Last edited:

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Anyone know if they ever decided to do a physical release for this one? I know xboxone and ps4 are digital only, but is the switch version digital too?

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Anyone know if they ever decided to do a physical release for this one? I know xboxone and ps4 are digital only, but is the switch version digital too?

I've been looking out for a physical Switch release, but as far as I have seen it still hasn't been confirmed. I'd guess even if there was going to be one, it would be a while after the digital release, annoyingly.

JRedmond3

NEST Puppet

There was a leaked pic of the physical copy ( er mockup ) for Switch, not sure if it was real though. There's a Collector's Edition for all platforms ( PC, Switch, Xbone, PS4) but the game itself is still digital only. It kinda sucks for the ppl who preordered the Collector's Edition if they end up releasing the physical copy afterward.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I've been looking out for a physical Switch release, but as far as I have seen it still hasn't been confirmed. I'd guess even if there was going to be one, it would be a while after the digital release, annoyingly.

There was a leaked pic of the physical copy ( er mockup ) for Switch, not sure if it was real though. There's a Collector's Edition for all platforms ( PC, Switch, Xbone, PS4) but the game itself is still digital only. It kinda sucks for the ppl who preordered the Collector's Edition if they end up releasing the physical copy afterward.

Thank you both!

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member

Yeah this "collector's edition" stuff without the game is dumb, I just haven't gotten around to cancelling mine when I heard there is no disc, I better do it soon then.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Yeah this "collector's edition" stuff without the game is dumb, I just haven't gotten around to cancelling mine when I heard there is no disc, I better do it soon then.

This happens all the time now. I remember Child of Light and some other games having "Collector's Editions", but all you got was a bunch of merch and a download code. I guess our best bet for a physical release on a PS4 is Limited Run. They did Shantae, Dariusburst CS, Wonder Boy ... Why not Sonic?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member

It makes no sense at all. It was just like Battle Garegga for the ps4, let's include everything minus the actual game. Maybe limited run will do something.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
This happens all the time now. I remember Child of Light and some other games having "Collector's Editions", but all you got was a bunch of merch and a download code. I guess our best bet for a physical release on a PS4 is Limited Run. They did Shantae, Dariusburst CS, Wonder Boy ... Why not Sonic?

Based on their cock up with Wonderboy I hope not..

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
This is a game that I'm actually excited for. It's not quite what I felt we were promised - a Sonic game created as if it were meant for Saturn - but we're getting some new content and mostly remixed content apparently. I'm fine with doing a new Green Hill Zone, but after that it should be a new game. Oh well.

wju2004

Armored Scrum Object
Forgot I even pre-ordered the PS4 version almost a year ago. Not sure if I want to keep it though. Eh....

JRedmond3

NEST Puppet
This is a game that I'm actually excited for. It's not quite what I felt we were promised - a Sonic game created as if it were meant for Saturn - but we're getting some new content and mostly remixed content apparently. I'm fine with doing a new Green Hill Zone, but after that it should be a new game. Oh well.

4 new zones, I think. The classic stage remixes seem to be fairly interesting though ( Green Hill Underground in particular, even though its inclusion seems to be getting the most criticism, aside from Oil Ocean at least).

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Reviews are in and they're really good! I don't think I've been this excited for a new Sonic game since Adventure.

The only thing that worries me is that no Switch review codes were sent out, only PS4 and XB1. I'd rather get it on the Switch, but I don't want an inferior version.

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
I don't think the Switch will get a watered down version. Or at least I hope so!

I mean come on, the console has been out for half a year and should be able to handle this don't you think?

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I don't think the Switch will get a watered down version. Or at least I hope so!

I mean come on, the console has been out for half a year and should be able to handle this don't you think?

Of course. It's not a game that is going to push any system, but the fact that they didn't send out review codes to Nintendo sites just seems a bit odd. Also, the PC release has been delayed a few weeks, so I am guessing there is still a bit of work to do on that version.

I'm sure it will be fine. It just seemed a bit strange to me.

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
Yeah, let's hope the best for the both of us. I'll be in for the Switch version too ;)
Looking forward to play the game tomorrow then!

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I got up early this morning to play a bit before work and it really was great fun. It's just like the Megadrive titles. I think you unlock a few new powers later, but at the moment it's basically the same as the first 3 games. I played through Green Hill and Chemical Plant, which were very nostalgic, but with enough new stuff to keep them interesting. I also played stage 1 of the first new zone, Studiopolis, which fits in perfectly. It really could be a level from one of the old games.

I'm not too keen on the bonus levels where you collect the balls, but they're the same as they used to be, I didn't like them much back then. The new UFO chaser ones seem interesting. I've only played a couple, and they've been easy and slow, but I'm guessing they'll get a lot harder as they go on.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Controls, Animation, Music, & Design. These guys fucking nailed it. I'm sure Naka would be impressed by this.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I got up early this morning to play a bit before work and it really was great fun. It's just like the Megadrive titles. I think you unlock a few new powers later, but at the moment it's basically the same as the first 3 games. I played through Green Hill and Chemical Plant, which were very nostalgic, but with enough new stuff to keep them interesting. I also played stage 1 of the first new zone, Studiopolis, which fits in perfectly. It really could be a level from one of the old games.

I'm not too keen on the bonus levels where you collect the balls, but they're the same as they used to be, I didn't like them much back then. The new UFO chaser ones seem interesting. I've only played a couple, and they've been easy and slow, but I'm guessing they'll get a lot harder as they go on.

That basically confirms the vibes from the Eurogamer.net review.

It's unbelieable it has taken this long, but I'm delighted to hear Sonic 2D is back on form. I'll wait and see if it gets a proper physical release in the next month or so, but if not I'll dip digital for this. Sonic 4 Episode 1 was pretty shitty, never bothered with Episode 2.

For the record, I didn't think Sonic Generations was too awful. It played alot of tribute to the Megadrive and Mega CD games.

Last edited:

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I think the Switch might be getting a physical copy of the game but I couldn't wait that long and just downloaded the game. I agree with everyone saying sonic is finally back to form once again after sucking for what it seemed like forever. The levels are huge definitely reminds me of sonic cd in that sense but this game borrows something from all the 16 bit sonics.