Sonic Mania....

Igakajook

Armored Scrum Object
Yeah, with the Wii U and 3DS, the purchases were primarily tied to the system. With the Switch they're tied to your ID, but you can't use them on more than one system, which is ridiculous compared to their competitors.

That's so dumb. Didn't the music industry's early attempts at digital teach anybody anything?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
So I read that the internal resolution of this is 240p; it would be really cool if there is a Linux/Wine way to play this in the future where you can actually set that resolution for gaming on a CRT.

I don't see how that's possible when there's no 4:3 aspect available.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
How long until someone puts a Raspberry Pi in one of those? :keke:
That thought came to my mind almost immediately when I saw how big it was. I won't have time to fool with it until the holidays probably though.

jdoll

Kuroko's Training Dummy
game is pretty sweet I don't own yet but played on switch and plan to buy on switch so I can have it mobile bit bummed its digital only but price is fair. the LE edition was a let down with a damn code for the game

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Yes, this game is solid. Like how they stuck to the traditional sonic format. I've only played this for a bit but so far I like it very much.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Man the last two Zones are tough. I love this game. Now that I beat it I got to go back and get all the chaos emeralds and unlock the extras. And do a Knuckles playthrough.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
That's so dumb. Didn't the music industry's early attempts at digital teach anybody anything?

We're talking about Nintendo here, the most ass-backwards consumer-facing company on the planet.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I just saw that the PC version uses Denuvo for DRM, so I guess Sega is pretty dumb in this department, too.

Yup. I was looking forward to buying Sonic Mania tonight for PC. Now I'm not buying it. I'll wait until I have a current console.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
I just saw that the PC version uses Denuvo for DRM, so I guess Sega is pretty dumb in this department, too.

What is the issue with Denuvo? Isn't that found in a lot of games?

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
What is the issue with Denuvo? Isn't that found in a lot of games?

AFAIK, it's particularly bad because it's difficult to remove from your computer, even if you've uninstalled the game(s) it came with.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
Not trying to be argumentative, but I think the same can be said for a lot of DRM.

I think the folks reviewing this negatively on Steam just want something to get worked up over.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I'm not a big PC gamer. So I don't have a ton of Steam games. But of what I do have, none has DRM that installs itself onto my system. If I already had some BS in there, I wouldn't mind so much. But taking that leap is a big turn-off.

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
I got the "bad" ending the other day. Now I'm going back to get the rest of the chaos emeralds. The lava reef is my least favorite stage. It feels poorly designed compared to the rest of the game.

Igakajook

Armored Scrum Object
Not trying to be argumentative, but I think the same can be said for a lot of DRM.

I think the folks reviewing this negatively on Steam just want something to get worked up over.

There's truth to that. It is the internet, afterall. But my concern lies with the ability to play the game long into the future. And I can see why a lot of people are turned-off to the idea that they need to download extra software which only adds limitations to a game they actually paid for. The pirates will just wait for a cracked version down the road.

Also, I'd like to be able to play the game through wine on Linux, and my guess is that this DRM makes that difficult. But that's just a guess.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
I don't see how that's possible when there's no 4:3 aspect available.

Actually there is a hidden 4:3 mode if you enable developer options apparently, but it still has black bars at the top and bottom when played in 15k/240p.

Not my photos or videos (found these on a shmups thread), but check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0tUt-RWLkA

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=976436422175&set=gm.934615903343266&type=3&theater&ifg=1

Dos the PC version let you turn on scanlines so its not so chunky???

No, but I'm sure you could use an external app to add them.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
The PC version has scanlines, two different choices in fact.

neomeo

New Challenger
When I turned it on and listened to the soundtrack through surround sound. Sonic Mania took me right back. Great Job. Definitely a 2017 retro hit.

neomeo

New Challenger
I am glad that this game was developed for 2017 again. They should put more modes to it such as scanlines and 240p

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'm glad to see you've done your research. The systems this was released on (and most of the displays they are connected to) aren't capable of 240p output. It already has an excellent scanline option. The game looks like a Genesis Sonic game run through a Framemeister but without the lag.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I'm glad to see you've done your research. The systems this was released on (and most of the displays they are connected to) aren't capable of 240p output. It already has an excellent scanline option. The game looks like a Genesis Sonic game run through a Framemeister but without the lag.

The PC version actually can be forced into 4:3 and made to run in 240p. Why someone would want to do this is beyond me.