Aspiring MVS owner

kikaso

n00b
Hello, all. Longtime reader, recent member, first time poster over here.

I found a couple of nice MVS cabinets not too far from me and decided to check them out on Friday, (8/11). The problem is, I'm new to MVS and I don't know what to look for in terms of value or even what to pay.

The seller has two MVS-2 cabinets which I'm told are identical other than cosmetic differences and bundled games.

What shoud I look for in terms of problem areas, (speaker sound, coin mech, monitor, etc.)?

The seller has them listed at $1000-1200--the difference in price being the selection of games being offered. I'm not prepared to pay that much but I don't know what's a fair offer seeing as how these cabinets rarely trade hands and the prices are rarely made public.

Thanks!

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
If they're not candy cabs then I wouldn't pay that at all. Do you have pics of them and a list of the game bundles?

kikaso

n00b
If they're not candy cabs then I wouldn't pay that at all.

Yeah, the price seemed a bit high. I don't want to low-ball the guy but I also don't want to pay way above market value. Bundled games for $1200 machine are 108-1 multi-cart and Super Sidekicks 2. Bundled games for $1000 machine is Baseball Stars Professional and Aero Fighters 2.

I'm attaching photos of the cabs. The $1200 one seems to be in pretty good shape cosmetically but the $1000 one seems to be rough around the buttons.

MVS-2.jpg
MVS-2_2.jpg

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
Depends on the condition and the games that come with the cabs. I wouldn't pay anywhere near that much for a cab that needs to be restored. Also, make sure that the included games aren't bootlegs.

The coin mech and speakers are quite easy to replace. Make sure that the marquee lights work. If it has a memory card reader, then test that one as well. If you're new to all of this, then you probably don't want to mess with the monitor. That can be quite dangerous, if you don't know what you're doing.

EDIT:

Just saw the pictures.
I definitely wouldn't pay that much. The cabs need to be restored and the cart that seems to come with the first cab is a multi cart which is pretty much worthless. They're dirt cheap on aliexpress.

Last edited:

kikaso

n00b
I'll take a hard look at the games. How rude is it to ask for them to be opened?

How difficult are the marquee lights to replace? I've seen people say it's just a flurescent bulb while others say it's a part that's no longer being manufactured.

Mess with the monitor settings you mean?

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
I'm in hurry, so please excuse the short answers...

I'll take a hard look at the games. How rude is it to ask for them to be opened?
I don't think it's rude. The first cart is a multicard. You don't nee to open that one. Try not to damage the label when you open the other game.

How difficult are the marquee lights to replace? I've seen people say it's just a flurescent bulb while others say it's a part that's no longer being manufactured.
Regular cabs have a bulb. MVS cabs on the other hand have panels that are no longer being made. A few people tried to make replacements. If you find someone who sells them, then expect them to be expensive.

Mess with the monitor settings you mean?
Discharging the tube and replacing caps.

kikaso

n00b
I'm in hurry, so please excuse the short answers...

I don't think it's rude. The first cart is a multicard. You don't nee to open that one. Try not to damage the label when you open the other game.

Regular cabs have a bulb. MVS cabs on the other hand have panels that are no longer being made. A few people tried to make replacements. If you find someone who sells them, then expect them to be expensive.

Discharging the tube and replacing caps.

Gotcha. Thanks for the advice!

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
There is guy on here who go's by mhermann. He's selling his minty big red and a large lot of MVS games for $3800. He is located in PA. I don't think that's a bad deal if your willing to take the drive.

kikaso

n00b
There is guy on here who go's by mhermann. He's selling his minty big red and a large lot of MVS games for $3800. He is located in PA. I don't think that's a bad deal if your willing to take the drive.

I saw that! and yes, in my limited knowledge, it seems like a pretty good deal. I wish I had the cash but my budget is about $750 right now.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I saw that! and yes, in my limited knowledge, it seems like a pretty good deal. I wish I had the cash but my budget is about $750 right now.

Assuming all his games are legit, he has one cart in that lot that go's for about $750. Again, if you could scrounge up enough doe for for the deal it would save you time and money trying to hunt down all those carts unless your planning on going with the NeoSd.

kikaso

n00b
Assuming all his games are legit, he has one cart in that lot that go's for about $750. Again, if you could scrounge up enough doe for for the deal it would save you time and money trying to hunt down all those carts unless your planning on going with the NeoSd.

Nah, not a fan of NeoSD. I'm planning on getting all carts. I wish I could find the cash for that.

noir

Overtop Pathfinder
$1000-1200 puts those cabinets in the range of don't even bother talking to the guy because they're so overpriced, even if you haggle down you're probably still overpaying.

There was 2 slot for sale here recently that was in better cosmetic condition, but needed a recap. Seller wanted $500. Of the three 4-slots I've bought, the most expensive one was $650. Biggest problem with any of them has been the EL panels not working, which is fairly common. Prices might be higher on the east cost, but for a 2-slot I wouldn't pay more than $600 for one in working condition with 2 decent games.

kikaso

n00b
$1000-1200 puts those cabinets in the range of don't even bother talking to the guy because they're so overpriced, even if you haggle down you're probably still overpaying.

There was 2 slot for sale here recently that was in better cosmetic condition, but needed a recap. Seller wanted $500. Of the three 4-slots I've bought, the most expensive one was $650. Biggest problem with any of them has been the EL panels not working, which is fairly common. Prices might be higher on the east cost, but for a 2-slot I wouldn't pay more than $600 for one in working condition with 2 decent games.

That's what I feared. I'm guessing the seller added a bit of cushion to cover eBay fees, (they're also listed there) but that would account for only 10-15% markup. Like you said, even with haggling they might still be overpriced. Oh well, I'll keep looking I suppose.

Thanks!

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
If your patient you might be able to find one in the same condition for much cheaper. I've been out of the Arcade Cabinet game for a long time but I'm pretty sure you could find a Neo Candy for much cheaper.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
If you're willing to drive to Ohio you might want to PM Terry330. He has a similar cabinet I think he said he's selling, that I can tell is much better condition that those, and like half the price.

I sold a dedicated Neo25 about 2 years ago for $600.00 with no board in it. That guy drove from NY to get it. I think it's about a 5-6 hour drive.

His $1000.00 machine is cheaper, and has better games. The 161 is like a $60.00 cartridge, and is becoming obsolete. You're better off getting a cab with no games, a 1 slot pcb, and getting a neoSD flash cart to play some games and find out what is actually worth buying.

Really, if you have a grand to drop, contact Terry330, buy his cab, and use the leftover to get a NeoSD MVS

Last edited:

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I would pass on those.... mhermann's got the best deal going atm.
BB

kikaso

n00b
If you're willing to drive to Ohio you might want to PM Terry330. Really, if you have a grand to drop, contact Terry330, buy his cab, and use the leftover to get a NeoSD MVS

I think $800 is the budget I'm comfortable with at the moment. Ohio might be a bit far for a day trip. Thanks!

kikaso

n00b
I would pass on those.... mhermann's got the best deal going atm.
BB

Agreed. They're surely overpriced and I'm holding out hope mhermann sells me his cab separate from the games.

In case that doesn't pan out, what are some trouble areas on MVS cabs that I should look out for when shopping around?

Last edited:

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Agreed. They're surely overpriced and I'm holding out hope mhermann sells me his cab separate from the games.

In case that doesn't pan out, what are some trouble areas on MVS cabs that I should look out for when shopping around?

You'll find patience goes a long way with this hobby, but it sounds like the lads have informed you these cabs are not the best deal around.

As far as what to look for, prioritize the monitor over everything else especially if you're not handy with a soldering iron. Issues with the color, brightness or geometry could be an indication that your monitor chassis will need work in the near future, and there is nothing you can do about burn-in. The only replacements available are from taking them from other cabs.

The EL light panels in the marquee almost never work, I wouldn't even worry about them. Replacements are rare and expensive and the units often make a nasty humming noise. Just unplug them and call that done.

Almost every other part can be bought for cheap - joysticks, motherboards, etc.

kikaso

n00b
You'll find patience goes a long way with this hobby, but it sounds like the lads have informed you these cabs are not the best deal around.

As far as what to look for, prioritize the monitor over everything else especially if you're not handy with a soldering iron. Issues with the color, brightness or geometry could be an indication that your monitor chassis will need work in the near future, and there is nothing you can do about burn-in. The only replacements available are from taking them from other cabs.

The EL light panels in the marquee almost never work, I wouldn't even worry about them. Replacements are rare and expensive and the units often make a nasty humming noise. Just unplug them and call that done.

Almost every other part can be bought for cheap - joysticks, motherboards, etc.

Yeah, I'm learning patience is a virtue. With regards to the monitor, how programmable are they? I've heard accounts of people calibrating them when they find sizing and contrast issues. I ask because I'm not great at soldering although I can get out of a jam if needed.

The marquee lights are a common problem, I've learned. Glad to hear people just live with them not working.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Cabs in our area are rare and usually overpriced and best to shit but there are sometimes deals to be had. I found a Tekken Tag can for $100 once off of CL, so it's possible but nowhere near as many as Cali. You'll probably have to do a drive to pick one up on other states, but be patient and you'll find a deal.

Last edited: