Initial D Twin - WORK IN PROGRESS (8/27 Update)

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I was debating whether to start a new thread or not, but since I cleared some of the "major" hurdles already, I figured I would simply start a new general thread and post some work in progress pictures. Plus take feedback and suggestions!

Here is the set I got:

IMG_0252.JPG

One side not working. Unable to test at time of purchase, gave an offer as-is and I got it delivered to my home!

Work so far, mostly clean up:

IMG_0295.JPG

Other side looks like this now:

IMG_0296.JPG

Switched the various components from the non working side to the working side, narrowed it down to the mobo. I have a replacement on the way from Sophia.

In the meantime, I try some simple fixes. After cleaning out the fans:

IMG_0272.JPG

Boom:

IMG_0273.JPG

Next up, upgrading to LCD's:

IMG_0274.JPG

Custom mount:

IMG_0288.JPG

There it is:

IMG_0298.JPG

I'll either sell or keep the originals as spares for my other Sega cabs. Too bad they are only 31khz

Last edited:

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Next up:

-More scrubbing
-Custom bezel (suggestions?)
-Put the cab back together, had to gut it in order to take out the monitor.
-Repeat LCD install for other side
-Repair cracks on seats and side panels
-Repair card readers
-Maybe reupholster seats? Bare plastic is not comfortable.
-Wire up the monitor so that it powers up with the cab, maybe use this:
IMG_0297.JPG

Last edited:

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Update:

IMG_0314.JPG

Close up:

IMG_0315.JPG

Cabinets have been cleaned inside and out, not perfect but they show well. Next up, apply bondo to the side panels and repaint.

I think the seats look good enough. Not sure if a full restore is worth it for now. Got other projects in mind. With the side panels done all I would consider is replacing one of the white seat back plus the seat back black portion. (They're not pieced together with original hardware. Most ppl would not notice.

Also, I think adding the gull wing speakers in the seats might be cool, even if it's not stock.

Also need to replace the card readers or repair them. Anyone have some?

Last edited:

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
That looks amazing! Any noticeable difference as far as lag?

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Looks slick dude, nicely done. What was the reasoning for going with LCDs vs the original tubes?

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Looks slick dude, nicely done. What was the reasoning for going with LCDs vs the original tubes?

Originally one of the tubes had no image, no way to test at purchase. Turned out to be the mobo not working. Both monitors are fully functional with screen burn, one is in dire need of a recap. Otherwise they are still good. Sitting in my garage as spares for now!

I think the way that these sega cabs are designed with the tempered glass in front of the tubes makes it really easy to hid the modifications. I was able to get the screens right up against the glass, so they are closer to the player than the original tubes. Basically, I just wanted to try mounting lcd's to try something new, and this cab is a good candidate, since it fits very naturally. I got them wired up to the rest of the cab, flip one switch and they power up automatically, all settings/adjustments are retained. I couldn't be happier.

That looks amazing! Any noticeable difference as far as lag?

They seem pretty responsive to me. Maybe someone above my skill level might notice lag. Monitors claim something low like 5ms, online sources put it at 10-11ms. Im pretty happy with them, they were a close to perfect fit and all the buttons are located in the back, so adjustments are easy.

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I gotta say, dunno how much experience any of you have working with bondo, but it's not giving me the best results. it does not fix a hairline crack very well. I'm thinking, widen the crack and then fill it... Also thinking wait until some nice replacements pop up.

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Yaton's been parting out some Initial D cabs, he might have some replacements:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_od...RC2.A0.H0.Xinitial.TRS0&_nkw=initial&_sacat=0

Mind you they may show up in pizza boxes and be not much nicer than what you have.

Yea, I have been keeping an eye on his listings. 90% of them seem to be shittier than what I have, plus the high shipping costs make them near pointless to buy on the bigger/heavier pieces. So far I have picked up one of his chihiro mobos (outrun 2 would be fun) and an initial d card reader. I wish there was a way to fit the japanese style side panels to the american cabs. The plastic on those seems thicker and more durable, even structural to the cabinet. That's probably the way to go on these sega driver cabs.

The bondo repair did not go well. One of the side panels looked pretty good, seemed strong and the repair was sanded well, tried mounting it and the repairs cracked. I even applied the bondo while the panels were mounted, then removed them to sand. The bondo does not have any give whatsoever.

EDIT:
I should try reinforcing the panels first, like this, since the putty alone is no good:
http://home.insightbb.com/~ecousticforkris/blastrenovation.htm

Last edited:

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Looking great but, I never consider going to an LCD and upgrade if anything I consider it a huge downgrade. Especially on something thats not being moved as there is no reason to reduce weight.

Solkan

n00b
Superbe conversion (as far as I can judge 'cause I can't see the pictures for now).

I think it's not far from an upgrade since the cab can now play with all the more recent arcade systems.

It will be my february activity since my Initial D crt don't start anymore. The replacing player will be a AOC Q3279VWF (31.5" LED).

chowmarcus

n00b
Hey Solkan,

Any update on your 31.5" LED replacement? I have a pair of Initial D3 with 26" LCD monitors... always want to replace them with something bigger... is the AOC Q3279VWF 31.5" the biggest monitor you can fit in the cab? Please let me know! Thanks!

Solkan

n00b
Back with some news about the screen replacement (thanks for asking :) ).
Perfect fit with the 31.5" (32" is too big even without the screen frame):
20180219101007-Solkan-DSC02540.JPG

DIY support :
20180219102710-Solkan-DSC02589.JPG

Nice fit with the standard bezel
20180219103539-Solkan-DSC02594.jpg

The size loss is less than a inch and now, my Naomi cab is ready for HD games (with a custom bezel if the system is in 16:9)

Last edited: