Gamecube HDMi Video Adaptor.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Real talk, I don't think any of my CD media is scratched and that goes back to music CDs from the early 90s. Well, maybe a few that got dusty sitting upside down and got some surface marks from cleaning. Always amazes me when optical media is beat to shit. Take out of case, put in console/dvd player/etc, remove, place in case.

That's why most of Nintendo's media is in cart form- it's meant for children.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Fucking thank you!

P.S. You don't have to worry about scratching your discs if you're actually a responsible adult enough to treat your things with care. I've had my Cube and other systems for fucking years and I've never damaged any of my stuff. If you have kids then yeah it's possible they hadn't learned to give a shit about the stuff they own but as an adult, common sense should be more into play if you spend your own money on things you want to own and take care of.

Even so, how can one not love the Wii? Forget about the waggle controls and shovelware, it is a Super Gamecube that waits to be softmodded, suddenly it becomes a versatile and nearly all-in-one Nintendo console. NES, SNES, Game Boy, Virtual Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, Gamecube and Wii all run amazingly well. The only weak point is the N64, but that's why you should own an N64 like madman says. Not even the modern PC has a good N64 emulator yet.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Real talk, I don't think any of my CD media is scratched and that goes back to music CDs from the early 90s. Well, maybe a few that got dusty sitting upside down and got some surface marks from cleaning. Always amazes me when optical media is beat to shit. Take out of case, put in console/dvd player/etc, remove, place in case.

I swear bro. It just seems like such a chore for some people. How hard is it to just handle a disc by the ends and put it back in the case. I've purchased cd games from U.S ebayers that in the description said Mint condition disc flawless and when I got it in the mail, it looked like some one took a box cutter to the back of the disc. If you handle your discs properly you shouldn't have a problem keeping the disc looking nice.

Since we are talking about discs. Can someone explain to me how you remove a ps1 disc from those small white psone's. It seems kind of a pain in the ass to get my hands around the disc to pull it out. Not enough space in those gaps. Real Talk lol.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
The only weak point is the N64, but that's why you should own an N64 like madman says. Not even the modern PC has a good N64 emulator yet.

The N64 hardware was so advanced that 20 years later modern hardware cannot emulate it. Reality Coprocessor 4 lyfe. You can't emulate reality, it's either the N64 or it isn't.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
The N64 hardware was so advanced that 20 years later modern hardware cannot emulate it. Reality Coprocessor 4 lyfe. You can't emulate reality, it's either the N64 or it isn't.

The problem is early N64 emulator coders were so obsessed with getting playable results on primitive 90s PCs that they completely threw out accuracy in exchange for speed, we are still feeling the ramifications of this 20 years later, as evident in nearly every Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time hack ever made as almost none of them work on a real N64.

Sure, with an emulator like Project 64, it'll play most of the popular titles seemingly perfectly, but as soon as you give it a game that uses custom CPU microcode (anything developed by Factor 5), it completely breaks.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Even so, how can one not love the Wii?

Never said I hated the Wii but I got into the Gamecube when it was a launch system. I have more of a connection to the Cube then I did the Wii since I literally skipped owning one until many years later.

Forget about the waggle controls and shovelware, it is a Super Gamecube that waits to be softmodded, suddenly it becomes a versatile and nearly all-in-one Nintendo console.

That can be true but it doesn't change the fact it outputs at a shitter image quality then the Cube does for a component signal. Also I have literally no interest in modding any of my systems for emulation games. Hell even my OG Xbox is still unmodded.

NES, SNES, Game Boy, Virtual Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, Gamecube and Wii all run amazingly well. The only weak point is the N64, but that's why you should own an N64 like madman says. Not even the modern PC has a good N64 emulator yet.

That's the thing you're maybe not catching with me and a lot of other people here. Sure we can "emulate" the games on the Wii & call it a day but myself I prefer owning the original hardware and software for the Gamecube. There's a connection there of enjoyment for me that modding and emulation just can't reach. Yeah ok you can say if you only care about the games you would emulate but for me that doesn't really make it for me.

I remember when Sunshine came out. I bought that shit, Took 3 days off from work and played that shit hardcore. I still have my original copy of that game sitting on my shelf and sometimes I still pop it in my system and try and see if I can get to a Shine Sprite faster or see if I can still clear some of the bonus stages without nearly dying. There's a connection to a lot of the games I own with which brings back good memories of a time when I was able to sit for hours & bang in some quality game time. Nowadays I still game but only really on the weekends since most of my time during the week is spent working.

I guess in a nutshell I'm saying is emulation cheapens the feeling of playing the games emulated vs original hardware. Do I hate emulation? Hell no but if I had the option to play something I like on the original system it was released for then by all means I would rather play it like that.

Real Talk.

Last edited:

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
I guess in a nutshell I'm saying is emulation cheapens the feeling of playing the games emulated vs original hardware. Do I hate emulation? Hell no but if I had the option to play something I like on the original system it was released for then by all means I would rather play it like that.
giphy.gif

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Never said I hated the Wii but I got into the Gamecube when it was a launch system. I have more of a connection to the Cube then I did the Wii since I literally skipped owning one until many years later.

My story with the Gamecube is a very similar one. I got my first cube around 2003, I have always loved it ever since. I was one of those nutcases who praised Super Mario Sunshine online back when everyone loved to hate it. I'm the guy who has always defended Mario Kart Double Dash which is still the best Mario Kart ever made. For me, the Gamecube marks Nintendo's modern high point, with the Wii and Wii U being unable to reach that apex. In fact, for a long time, I hated the Wii and what I thought were its massively watered-down first party games. It wasn't just the waggle controls, Nintendo's games just felt casual-ified. I used to call Super Smash Bros. Brawl a bad game. Not the least good SSB, but the worst.

In recent years though, I have given the Wii and Wii U a proper fair shake and have been pleasantly surprised. I've even warmed up to Brawl, which I can no longer say is bad, it is simply different. They're no Gamecube, but they are certainly no slouches like I used to think. After years of trying PlayStation and Xbox games and being consistently disappointed in all the gaming wrongs being committed, the Wii and Wii U were like a breath of fresh air. There absolutely are good games on the Wii and Wii U, their hackability is really just the cherry on an already amazing cake. The best part is the Wii and Wii U are directly backwards compatible with their predecessor. With Nintendont, you can unlock the Wii U's inherent Gamecube compatibility. Say it with me, a Wii U is a Wii is a Gamecube, it's a beautiful thing that has sadly died with the launch of the Nintendo Switch.

Believe it or not, I still have a sizeable stack of Gamecube favorites I have hung onto after all these years. I still buy the occasional Gamecube game I'm missing if I see it cheap. I still have a pair of Gamecubes with GB Players attached and a hoard of controllers, maybe one day I'll find a couple of cheap Broadband adapters. Maybe one day I'll be crazy enough to buy the component cable. I even have Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures with four GC to GBA link cables and various GBA systems that I have kept after all this time.

To me, the Gamecube is the once and future modern Nintendo console and I will always love it. That said, it's nice to keep my original games safely tucked away and play backups off a hard drive. Using a Wii also gives me easy access to Wii games and emulated anything. If I could have only one console, I'd make it a Wii (or a Wii U if I only had an HDTV).

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Well said HMG. I got rid of GameCube gear a few years ago. Had a nice collection, gba player, and the original component cables. Just wasn't getting enough play and once I figured out how to install GC games on the Wii, It's been my goto way for playing GC games. I also messed around and downloaded dolphin yesterday and both wii and gc games run surprisingly well.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
My best desktop PC mainly consists of a Core 2 Duo E8500 and an Nvidia GTS 250, even that can run Brawl at playable speeds using Dolphin.

I still prefer a real Wii though, it is the affordable Nintendo console that keeps on giving. I can't think of a console that is more easily hacked (maybe except the DC).

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
My best desktop PC mainly consists of a Core 2 Duo E8500 and an Nvidia GTS 250, even that can run Brawl at playable speeds using Dolphin.

I still prefer a real Wii though, it is the affordable Nintendo console that keeps on giving. I can't think of a console that is more easily hacked (maybe except the DC).

The OG Xbox when hacked can deliver alot of goodness as well.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Fucking thank you!

P.S. You don't have to worry about scratching your discs if you're actually a responsible adult enough to treat your things with care. I've had my Cube and other systems for fucking years and I've never damaged any of my stuff. If you have kids then yeah it's possible they hadn't learned to give a shit about the stuff they own but as an adult, common sense should be more into play if you spend your own money on things you want to own and take care of.

Top loaders 4 lyfe

But for reals you shouldn't be scratching discs on top loaders unless you suck at aligning them in the system or the spindle gets pushed down too far. Slot loading mechanisms however can scratch if the rubbers get dirty or have debris in them. I know my PS3 likes to leave grease on my blu-rays whenever it ejects in a straight line(it must be from the rails, its a pretty common problem with og ps3 and some slot loading mechanisms). Luckily it wipes right off.

It never used to do this. In any case the amount of grease it leaves on has reduced significantly over time. Some peoples ps3's had so much grease on the disc that it wouldn't play the game until it was cleaned.

Since we are talking about discs. Can someone explain to me how you remove a ps1 disc from those small white psone's. It seems kind of a pain in the ass to get my hands around the disc to pull it out. Not enough space in those gaps. Real Talk lol

I love the psone look, but yeah taking a disc out isn't as easy as a original model. Usually what I do is put my left index finger on the top left corner, thumb diagonally across from it, and my right index finger gets the corner to the right of the first one. I find it helps to push on the spindle lightly too.

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
The OG Xbox when hacked can deliver alot of goodness as well.

It's still a pain in the ass to hack, requiring a vulnerable game, a memory card and an action replay or hacked controller cable of some sort. The Wii only requires fully updated firmware and an SD card with the exploit loaded on it.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Top loaders 4 lyfe

But for reals you shouldn't be scratching discs on top loaders unless you suck at aligning them in the system or the spindle gets pushed down too far. Slot loading mechanisms however can scratch if the rubbers get dirty or have debris in them. I know my PS3 likes to leave grease on my blu-rays whenever it ejects in a straight line(it must be from the rails, its a pretty common problem with og ps3 and some slot loading mechanisms). Luckily it wipes right off.

It never used to do this. In any case the amount of grease it leaves on has reduced significantly over time. Some peoples ps3's had so much grease on the disc that it wouldn't play the game until it was cleaned.

I love the psone look, but yeah taking a disc out isn't as easy as a original model. Usually what I do is put my left index finger on the top left corner, thumb diagonally across from it, and my right index finger gets the corner to the right of the first one

I thought I was the only one who had trouble removing discs from the psone. I will use the Chu method next time.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
It's still a pain in the ass to hack, requiring a vulnerable game, a memory card and an action replay or hacked controller cable of some sort. The Wii only requires fully updated firmware and an SD card with the exploit loaded on it.

Actually there is a way to do it with only an older PC required, but yeah - still a pain compared to the Wii.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
My story with the Gamecube is a very similar one. I got my first cube around 2003, I have always loved it ever since. I was one of those nutcases who praised Super Mario Sunshine online back when everyone loved to hate it. I'm the guy who has always defended Mario Kart Double Dash which is still the best Mario Kart ever made.

I don't think that many people hated Sunshine that much. Some Shine Sprites were brutal to go after I admit it's a solid well built game which was a worthy successor to Mario 64. Double Dash is awesome, Anyone hating on it is just a shitty player.

For me, the Gamecube marks Nintendo's modern high point, with the Wii and Wii U being unable to reach that apex. In fact, for a long time, I hated the Wii and what I thought were its massively watered-down first party games. It wasn't just the waggle controls, Nintendo's games just felt casual-ified. I used to call Super Smash Bros. Brawl a bad game. Not the least good SSB, but the worst.

Honestly I think the Wii was a great system and so did Nintendo since they marketed it so well that it made them a ton of money. I just couldn't get into the Wii as much as I did the Gamecube but I won't fault anyone for loving the system for the good games it does have.

In recent years though, I have given the Wii and Wii U a proper fair shake and have been pleasantly surprised. I've even warmed up to Brawl, which I can no longer say is bad, it is simply different.

Anyone saying the Wii U had shitty games is fooling themselves. There's an amazing slew of great titles for that system that make it worth owning. Even if it's a "failed" console, Nintendo did a good job supporting it to the bitter end.

They're no Gamecube, but they are certainly no slouches like I used to think. After years of trying PlayStation and Xbox games and being consistently disappointed in all the gaming wrongs being committed, the Wii and Wii U were like a breath of fresh air.

To compare the PlayStation to what Nintendo had isn't really fair in my eyes. Both systems have an amazing library of software to choose from for people who have different tastes in gaming. Shit we're in an age where there it literally something for everyone and I like that.

There absolutely are good games on the Wii and Wii U, their hackability is really just the cherry on an already amazing cake.

Like I said before I have 0 interest in hacking any of my consoles. I'm not damning anyone who does but I just don't want to do anything to my hardware just for the sake of emulation. I'll be fair in saying that I think modded systems are cool for enhancing screen quality among other things but emulation while I've done it off and on just doesn't compare to owning original hardware and software for my favorite systems.

The best part is the Wii and Wii U are directly backwards compatible with their predecessor. With Nintendont, you can unlock the Wii U's inherent Gamecube compatibility. Say it with me, a Wii U is a Wii is a Gamecube, it's a beautiful thing that has sadly died with the launch of the Nintendo Switch.

But like I said before, I like having my OG Gamecube. It doesn't need to be hacked or modded at all. All I have to do is pop in a disc and hit the power button and I'm good to go.

Believe it or not, I still have a sizeable stack of Gamecube favorites I have hung onto after all these years. I still buy the occasional Gamecube game I'm missing if I see it cheap. I still have a pair of Gamecubes with GB Players attached and a hoard of controllers, maybe one day I'll find a couple of cheap Broadband adapters. Maybe one day I'll be crazy enough to buy the component cable. I even have Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures with four GC to GBA link cables and various GBA systems that I have kept after all this time.

I have pretty much all of that stuff you listed & I actually scored a Hori Controller for almost nothing recently in the box so there's that. I had fun with Windwaker using a GBA SP for the Tinkle stuff now that I think about it.

To me, the Gamecube is the once and future modern Nintendo console and I will always love it. That said, it's nice to keep my original games safely tucked away and play backups off a hard drive. Using a Wii also gives me easy access to Wii games and emulated anything. If I could have only one console, I'd make it a Wii (or a Wii U if I only had an HDTV).

See that's where we're different. I like playing my original game software and like I said in my previous post, if you're a responsible adult then you can take care of your games and hardware easily. The Gamecube isn't made of wet paper but I'll be damned if I hadn't seen some that are literally beat to shit but still trucking. Right now I would say collecting for this system is nearing it's end point since a lot of people are going goo-goo-gaa-gaa all over it for retro-hipsters. I thankfully bought most of the games on release with me going after a few low priced titles here and there which people suggested to me.

Looking back I can say that The Gamecube is one of my all time favorite systems which carries with me memories of an easier time in terms of gaming. I've gotten into the PS4, Switch and whatnot but honestly I don't have the connection to the newer systems obviously. So in the long run, Play what you like how you like it but don't judge too hard on someone who likes to play their games on original hardware vs emulation.

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
I'm not trying to judge "hard" on people who are using Gamecubes and original titles, I am just educating the masses on the incredibly flexible Wii and Wii U which are both built directly on top of the Gamecube design, all using PowerPC CPUs and ATi GPUs. When people found Nintendont worked on the Wii U, some figured it was emulation given how much more powerful the Wii U was. This is completely incorrect, the Wii U has full hardware-level support for the Gamecube (and Wii) barring some obscure accessories.

Emulation has always been a highlight of Gamecube, Wii and Wii U hacking, but for me at least, the best part is being able to play backups of your disc games so not only can the discs be saved some wear, but the disc drive will gain some additional lifespan as well. I have owned a lot of Gamecubes, they are just as laser-death-prone as any other game console. Way back in the day, I had a purple Gamecube stop reading discs on me, I actually paid Nintendo to get it repaired. I remember being annoyed that they practically swapped me an entirely different console but the eject button was still mushy and crooked like when I first sent it. Since then, I have replaced the lasers in several Gamecubes I've had in the past.

Your words have moved me though, I should hook up a Gamecube more often. The Gamecube IPL (system menu) brings back so many memories any time I see it and hear it. Game Boy Interface for the GB Player indeed looks very nice, the original start-up disc always did have a bit of input lag to it.

If I had an HDTV, I might get that GCVideo internal adapter at some point. I don't think I'd ever want to pay $300 for a video cable...

wju2004

Armored Scrum Object
Looks like it's not just the Everdrives and multicarts catching some heat lately.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Gamecube/c...cube_fried_by_zeldaxpros_pnp/#bottom-comments

Welp, that certainly puts a halt on me thinking about getting one of these. After seeing the video of it and how nice it looked, I was pretty close to just saying hell with it and getting one ordered. I would have had to get another Gamecube as mine doesn't have the proper port, but figured that wouldn't be a problem.

I sure as hell am not paying $300 for cables, no matter how good they make it look, though.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I stil haven't obtained a USB capable of doing the OG Xbox softmod I've had planned for years.

The Wii is a poser GameCube.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
The Wii is a poser GameCube.

Correction, it's a Super GameCube.

The Wii is literally a Gamecube with a higher clocked PowerPC 750 (codenamed Broadway), an upgraded Flipper GPU (codenamed Hollywood) and a newly added ARM9 CPU embedded in the Hollywood die that acts as a dedicated hypervisor of sorts, governing security, encryption and also running the System Menu and associated system files (called IOS). The only part of the Wii that makes it truly different from a Gamecube is the ARM9 CPU.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Correction, it's a Super GameCube.

The Wii is literally a Gamecube with a higher clocked PowerPC 750 (codenamed Broadway), an upgraded Flipper GPU (codenamed Hollywood) and a newly added ARM9 CPU embedded in the Hollywood die that acts as a dedicated hypervisor of sorts, governing security, encryption and also running the System Menu and associated system files (called IOS). The only part of the Wii that makes it truly different from a Gamecube is the ARM9 CPU.

But again, it doesn't support the Game Boy Player, you can't control the menu with a Gamecube controller out of the box, and the Gamecube ports are in a stupid place.

If you really want to play a lot of Gamecube games, get a Gamecube. If you want a much more capable system that does a good job of playing Gamecube games every now and again, get a Wii. Or get both. Or neither. Whatever.

But it's not a "super" Gamecube because none of its extra hardware actually enhances Gamecube games in any way. The extra and faster RAM, the overclocked CPU and GPU, the faster bus speeds and larger caches... those are all for Wii games. They behave just like a Gamecube when you're playing Gamecube games.

So for Gamecube specifically, the trade off is that the Wii allows for much easier and cheaper use of component cables while the Gamecube offers a more streamlined experience and Game Boy Player support.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
How could it enhance Gamecube games? Even the Wii U can only upscale Gamecube games using its HDMI hardware. I think you're missing the point entirely. The Wii is a Super Gamecube because it's a Gamecube with greatly enhanced features and an extension to its library (Wii games).