Gamecube HDMi Video Adaptor.

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
If you didn't need Game Boy Player support, wouldn't you just use a Wii? It's got component built-in.

There's a few GameCube games that won't run on the Wii due to the screen resolution they use. The Mega Man Collection for example.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
If you didn't need Game Boy Player support, wouldn't you just use a Wii? It's got component built-in.

The GBAP gets a lot of use; I've got an extensive GBA library that I go back to on the regular.

True, but apparently gamecube has better video output (looks close enough to me). The bigger issue is the pain in the ass of going through the Wii menu and having a wiimote handy any time you want to play a gamecube game.

There's a few GameCube games that won't run on the Wii due to the screen resolution they use. The Mega Man Collection for example.

And these are two other good reasons why this option is more for me vs. the Wii, with the former being my biggest pet peeve.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Using a Wii for Component makes a lot of sense if you won't use Game Boy Player at all. Wii has a little bit of ringing in its Component signal which I was surprised by (used official cables on a PVM), other than that I didn't notice any difference vs GameCube Component cables.

Though I'd say take it a step further and use a WiiU with Nintendon't to play GC/Wii games over HDMI.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
True, but apparently gamecube has better video output (looks close enough to me). The bigger issue is the pain in the ass of going through the Wii menu and having a wiimote handy any time you want to play a gamecube game.

And these are two other good reasons why this option is more for me vs. the Wii, with the former being my biggest pet peeve.

If your Wii is old enough for it, install Bootmii as boot2 (with its support files on an SD card), this will make Bootmii always load before the Wii System Menu. It requires a GC controller or the buttons on the Wii console to navigate. With Bootmii, you can use the Gamecube controller to select Homebrew Channel and whatever homebrew apps you want to use after that. I like to use USB Loader GX, which also works fine with GC controllers.

With Bootmii, you never need the Wiimote again (unless you want to play a Wii game).

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Using a Wii for Component makes a lot of sense if you won't use Game Boy Player at all. Wii has a little bit of ringing in its Component signal which I was surprised by (used official cables on a PVM), other than that I didn't notice any difference vs GameCube Component cables.

Though I'd say take it a step further and use a WiiU with Nintendon't to play GC/Wii games over HDMI.

Was it easy to mod the Wii U? I have one sitting around that doesn't get much play. Is it a soft mod as well just like the original wii? PM me if you can, I don't want to derail this thread. Thanks

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
This looks great, so glad this has been made. Hopefully it gets a wide release and is priced well.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
derail i want to know too

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Was it easy to mod the Wii U? I have one sitting around that doesn't get much play. Is it a soft mod as well just like the original wii? PM me if you can, I don't want to derail this thread. Thanks

derail i want to know too

https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-definitive-vwii-hacking-guide.425852/

The legacy Wii System Menu built into the Wii U is called by hackers "vWii", but it's not really virtual since the Wii U has complete hardware support for the Wii (and therefore Gamecube).

Hacking the "vWii" System Menu is very similar to hacking an original Wii console. The only significant differences are:

- No letterbomb or bannerbomb, so you need an exploitable game and SD card with exploit loaded on it. Everyone should have Brawl these days anyway, it's so inexpensive.

- A special vWii iOS 236 system file needs to be installed, do not try a plain Wii version of this if you come across one.

- The guide I linked to mentions installing an alternate Homebrew Channel forwarder so the Wii U's 16:9 support works correctly, it's not hard to install.

Basically, just follow that guide exactly and you'll be fine. Anything else (installing HBC, emulators, USB loaders, installing WADS, etc) works just like on a regular Wii.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Seems kinda silly to pay more for a cable than what the console is worth. I'm staying. Enjoying my s-video.

It is silly but you forget this is ng.com where people buy the best shit that they can get even if it costs a lot.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Seems kinda silly to pay more for a cable than what the console is worth. I'm staying. Enjoying my s-video.
Fair enough. However, that option won't work for modern TV's.

I think I'll go this HDMI route for GameCube, but only because it's an all-digital signal from the system's built-in port. And the component cables are ridiculous (hopefully someone will make a homebrew version component cable next). For the Xbox and PS2 we'll have to stick with component, with the option to run through the Framemeister.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member

I think I'll go this HDMI route for GameCube, but only because it's an all-digital signal from the system's built-in port. And the component cables are ridiculous (hopefully someone will make a homebrew version component cable next). For the Xbox and PS2 we'll have to stick with component, with the option to run through the Framemeister.

I'm going with the HDMI route due to convenience and that it's much cheaper than component cables. $100 for a handmade quality product that makes me much more interested in the cube is worth it to me.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
My Gamecube is hooked to the PVM and I don't have component cables so I'm sticking with S-Video.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Someone has to be that guy, might as well be me.
dolphin emulator, upscale to 1080p.

This is still a really awesome cable tho.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,

For the Xbox and PS2 we'll have to stick with component, with the option to run through the Framemeister.

Framemeister has s-video input.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Framemeister has s-video input.

The real reason to have component cables is so you don't have to deal with deinterlacing a 480i image which avoids 2+ more frames of lag being added onto whatever is being scaled. This won't mean shit however if the game doesn't support 480p, but most GC games do.

In any case a 480p image is way sharper and has less motion artifacts than a 480i one.

S-video is still pretty damn good on a CRT though.

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Someone has to be that guy, might as well be me.
dolphin emulator, upscale to 1080p.

This is still a really awesome cable tho.

How much did the PC cost? You can find a Wii for well under $50.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Yeah, that's the main problem with S-video on a modern screen. No progressive scan.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Anyone got a response from the creator once filling out the form? I know he's backlogged since the metal Jesus video came out but I haven't heard anything in the past couple of days