Scart Cable Recommendations

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Looking for Mega Drive 2 Scart Cable. I usually get my cables from retrogamingcables but I remember someone mentioning someone else who makes high quality cables.

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
How long do you need it? That decides who I go to. Retro_Console_Accessories on eBay will do custom lengths (depending on how long, she will recommend the coaxial shielded upgrade which is $18 though, since longer lengths can sometimes get wonky without shielding). RetroGamingCables ONLY makes them around 5' long (technically 4.9 feet or 1.5 meters) - that's barely even long enough to run from the shelf to the floor so I can hide my cables (let alone snake them over to my switcher), and SCART extension cables are friggin huge just for the double SCART head connection.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Is Retro Console Accessories that chick from Florida?

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Is Retro Console Accessories that chick from Florida?

Yes.

Her cables are high quality, just make sure you get the Pro Coaxial Core Shielding where every wire is individually shielded. It cost like $17 to do that for any cable. That is not to say her regular cables are bad, but in lossy setups it could make the difference especially if you are running long runs.

Another selection is Retro Console Cables pakapunch, but they are currently sold out.

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk...nesis-2-rgb-av-scart-cable-tv-lead-packapunch

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Will talk to the Florida Chick and see if she could make me one.

I didn't know RCG was making these Pakapunch Cables. Thanks Guys

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
LOL less than a month ago ChuChu was shitting on "her" cables about improper boosted sync that will destroy TVs or consoles or some other assburgers shit. Now all of a sudden they're high quality.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Bought a Genny Model 2 cable from her and works fine. No issues with sync or signal quality loss due to cable length.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
LOL less than a month ago ChuChu was shitting on "her" cables about improper boosted sync that will destroy TVs or consoles or some other assburgers shit. Now all of a sudden they're high quality.

This is why I asked because I remember buying some of my first scart cables from her a long time ago and they would fall apart on me after awhile. Now I'm hearing that RGC cables which I always thought were good are not as good as hers.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
The multicore cables are nice. Probably overkill in most cases though.

ChuChu Flamingo

10 Year Member
This is why I asked because I remember buying some of my first scart cables from her a long time ago and they would fall apart on me after awhile. Now I'm hearing that RGC cables which I always thought were good are not as good as hers.

From the old cable I have of hers she has definitely stepped up her game in these years. Whats nice about this certain Florida seller is if there are any problems with the cable she will fix it for free for up to two years.

They were still high quality but some of them weren't properly attenuated. Depending upon your setup you can run into issues. This issue rearing its ugly head is really down to not having a standard for csync (since it can be TTL or 75ohm). It gets even worse when you have say a modded rgb console that can output ttl level csync or 75 ohms and you need a scart cable. As if the output is already attenuated to 75ohms, you need a pass through scart cable. If it is TTL, then you need to have the proper resistor to bring it down should you need it. Essentially for mods there should be a standard of what the sync should be but also the consumer should be educated on what they have in their console.

I had this problem with Csync on my Sega Saturn and luckily someone tracked it down to some Model 2s having Csync not properly attenuated to 75 ohms (model 1s are 75ohms iirc). All is good now, Sega Saturn RGB looks amazing.

In any case I ordered new cables from her as I had old ones with sync on composite, and there was talk of Csync not being properly attenuated to 75 ohms. So when I opened the scart cable up and didn't see it I thought it wasn't attenuated correctly. Usually people put the resistor in the SCART head as it is easier, but she put it in the din connector (good luck trying to open that). You don't have to worry about proper attenuation with Sync on luma and sync with composite as they are always 75 ohms.

When I read up on those boosted cables she stopped doing them about a year ago. Genesis model 1/Master System for some reason have abnormally high ttl sync. RCA cables like a year+ ago had a booster in the cable which amplified the already very high csync. The only reason I can think of to do that is to reduce jailbars.

In any case, I wanted to make sure as the Gscart lite SCART switch will not sync to TTL level sync due to its design.

Her SNES cables recently didn't have proper termination for csync 75ohms via a 330 ohm resistor unless you asked for it. Her reason for doing so was that people would use this cable with NES RGB kits and she wanted one cable that would work on all. Its good to see she now has two listings for them, one for a SNES and another for NES RGB. I also informed her that PS2 scart cables do not need capacitors in them.

Its a good step forward that both of those sellers listings note what is inside the cable now. It really is a learning experience as its nice to see them list everything so there is no confusion. /wall of text

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
From the old cable I have of hers she has definitely stepped up her game in these years. Whats nice about this certain Florida seller is if there are any problems with the cable she will fix it for free for up to two years.

They were still high quality but some of them weren't properly attenuated. Depending upon your setup you can run into issues. This issue rearing its ugly head is really down to not having a standard for csync (since it can be TTL or 75ohm). It gets even worse when you have say a modded rgb console that can output ttl level csync or 75 ohms and you need a scart cable. As if the output is already attenuated to 75ohms, you need a pass through scart cable. If it is TTL, then you need to have the proper resistor to bring it down should you need it. Essentially for mods there should be a standard of what the sync should be but also the consumer should be educated on what they have in their console.

I had this problem with Csync on my Sega Saturn and luckily someone tracked it down to some Model 2s having Csync not properly attenuated to 75 ohms (model 1s are 75ohms iirc). All is good now, Sega Saturn RGB looks amazing.

In any case I ordered new cables from her as I had old ones with sync on composite, and there was talk of Csync not being properly attenuated to 75 ohms. So when I opened the scart cable up and didn't see it I thought it wasn't attenuated correctly. Usually people put the resistor in the SCART head as it is easier, but she put it in the din connector (good luck trying to open that). You don't have to worry about proper attenuation with Sync on luma and sync with composite as they are always 75 ohms.

When I read up on those boosted cables she stopped doing them about a year ago. Genesis model 1/Master System for some reason have abnormally high ttl sync. RCA cables like a year+ ago had a booster in the cable which amplified the already very high csync. The only reason I can think of to do that is to reduce jailbars.

In any case, I wanted to make sure as the Gscart lite SCART switch will not sync to TTL level sync due to its design.

Her SNES cables recently didn't have proper termination for csync 75ohms via a 330 ohm resistor unless you asked for it. Her reason for doing so was that people would use this cable with NES RGB kits and she wanted one cable that would work on all. Its good to see she now has two listings for them, one for a SNES and another for NES RGB. I also informed her that PS2 scart cables do not need capacitors in them.

Its a good step forward that both of those sellers listings note what is inside the cable now. It really is a learning experience as its nice to see them list everything so there is no confusion. /wall of text

You say she has listings. Can you link me to her listings because I only see one listing.

ChuChu Flamingo

10 Year Member
Usually she lists them at 7 A.M. EST Monday-Friday every day but she only does 5 of each cable so they sell out pretty fast.

Your best bet is this though and will put you in queue.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Customer-request-17-/162156456282?hash=item25c147295a:g:RIAAAOSwq1JZDdfX

Basically just best offer her something like $1, she will counteroffer and in the notes put that you want a Genesis 2 Scart cable. Just specify what you want (Csync or sync on composite), if you want the cable to be fully shielded or not, how long you want it, if you want rca plugs etc. She can tailor it to suit your needs.

It will basically be like this unless you ask for coaxial pro shielding which is like $17 more dollars .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-seller-G...RT-cable-with-Csync-no-jailbars-/201309414919

Last edited:

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
You say she has listings. Can you link me to her listings because I only see one listing.

67 items up for sale right now:

http://stores.ebay.com/retroaccessories/

If you don't see what exactly you need, you'll have to catch her eBay store earlier the next day. She only takes as many orders each day as she can comfortably make so she doesn't have a backlog making people wait for their cables. After that limit is reached she then closes down her store for the day. Kinda annoying, but also a good business model as everybody gets their custom made cables in a very quick time period.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Usually she lists them at 7 A.M. EST Monday-Friday every day but she only does 5 of each cable so they sell out pretty fast.

Your best bet is this though and will put you in queue.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Customer-request-17-/162156456282?hash=item25c147295a:g:RIAAAOSwq1JZDdfX

Basically just best offer her something like $1, she will counteroffer and in the notes put that you want a Genesis 2 Scart cable. Just specify what you want (Csync or sync on composite), if you want the cable to be fully shielded or not, how long you want it, if you want rca plugs etc. She can tailor it to suit your needs.

It will basically be like this unless you ask for coaxial pro shielding which is like $17 more dollars .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-seller-G...RT-cable-with-Csync-no-jailbars-/201309414919

I see, thanks again Chu.

FBX

Quiz Detective

It was an issue I think last year and before, but everything got 'sorted out' so to speak on reddit, and she uses proper attenuation in her cables now. I myself use her exclusively for all my RGB SCART cables, and I always get them custom made and with coaxial shielding (just contact her to set up a custom order and don't even worry about her store hours). Picture quality is simply beautiful from console to gscartsw-lite to Framemeister on my setup. I've pre-ordered an OSSC, but it won't ship until October.

Speaking of the Framemeister, I'm the guy that makes all the custom integer-scaled profiles for various consoles. I made a couple for the Neo Geo AES not too long ago, but I plan on revisiting these when my new RGB SCART cable arrives tomorrow.

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Just for the record, Retro Console Accessories is run by a dude.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
RCA's cables are back in stock. Just ordered another MD2 scart cable. Passed on the Pro Coaxial, not switching my whole setup and buying all new cables. Going to Keep an eye out on those Pakapunch cables.

Last edited:

NERDtendo

Igniz's Servent
10 Year Member
I just got my Genny Model 2 SCART cable from Retro Console Accessories last week. I too only got the regular shielding, but it's a very nice cable and works great.