Thread: Neo games 67% off on GOG

Morden's Lackey

Neo games 67% off on GOG

I hear the ports are pretty terrible, but I saw this on Twitter and thought I'd share. Blazing Star doesn't get much cheaper than this.

https://www.gog.com/games?devpub=snk...ularity&page=1

P.S. - Blazing Star is apparently single player only with no controller support. Only keyboard. LOL

Is it possible to extract the rom and use it in some other Emu ?
    SNK the future is now

Ukyo's Doctor

But why would you pay for a rom/emu pack? Seems silly.
    Looking for UK copies of Dive Alert Becky's Version, Puzzle Link 1 and 2, Gals Fighters, and Pocket Reversi.
    http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=41108&dateline=145772  3980

Yes seems silly, but then u can legally use the Roms in any emulator or Neo SD.

BTW i checked some. you will need to download the MAC OS files under goodies. Within you will find the Neo-Geo Bios and also the Roms in a zip file. Some games however dont offer this.
    SNK the future is now

Morden's Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by Gamemaster View Post
    Yes seems silly, but then u can legally use the Roms in any emulator or Neo SD.
    I've done this on more than one occasion. I've actually extracted Shantae from a 3DS Virtual Console title. Feels kind of cool to be able to extract the ROM and play it on a regular GBC. Plus, it's better than shelling out an obscene amount of money for the original. Virtual Console titles are good this way. They all use original ROMs, so as long as you can extract them, you're good to go.

Ghost Of Captain Kidd

Not too bad, best cut yet for the site. Shame they have like 15 of the 23 games that got stuffed into that Neo Geo 25th package that humble bundle did. It would be nice to see the rest put up in a future update, better, new stuff that wasn't done so far. I picked up the original bundle not because the emulation was nice, but wanted to own the ROM sets too.
    Games, Manga, Transformers (G1), Japanese Robots, and more... http://tanooki.byethost16.com/
    Looking for the above stuff, Neo-Geo MVS, Dreamcast, and Gameboy(any) too.

Formerly Giltygear
    xROTx
    Parking in handicap spaces, while handicapped people make handicapped faces

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    wanted to own the ROM sets.
    LMBO

Holy shit

Morden's Lackey

Shame they have like 15 of the 23 games that got stuffed into that Neo Geo 25th package that humble bundle did.
    I got the Neo Humble Bundle for Android some time ago. I was curious how they have handled original ROM data. The ROMs are easy to extract, but they're not usable with NeoSD directly. You have to split and rename the files. For example, Blazing Star's V1 and V2 are combined into one file called blazstar_adpcm. So the data is definitely there, and is usable. So technically, if you want to play Humble Bundle Neo games on your NeoSD, you can.

Ghost Of Captain Kidd

Exactly I knew they were special in how they got setup but the data was there. Meh emulator or not I still figured 23 NG games for $10 at the time seemed like a good option. I know some won't agree, but that's their choice and attitude about it, not everyone is required to feel the same.

At least once you figure where to split the files that it can be used in NeoSD that's what's important.
    Games, Manga, Transformers (G1), Japanese Robots, and more... http://tanooki.byethost16.com/

Crazed MVS Addict

I have no clue why you would even want that. Besides, if you check the average EULA/whatever for the average computergame it'll have a clause that prohibits reverse engineering etc etc etc. Unless it says something like "here's the rom, use it with any emu you want" you're most likely legally crossing the line anyway. Just download mame+rom, enjoy superior emulation and send your cash to me. You're welcome.

Yeah maybe, but getting the zip file with the roms from a directory isnt reverse engineering, neither is getting the roms from the Neo-Geo X Megapack SD Card.
    The GOG Games have no DRM and you can install them as often you like.
    SNK the future is now

Morden's Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by Gamemaster View Post
    Yeah maybe, but getting the zip file with the roms from a directory isnt reverse engineering, neither is getting the roms from the Neo-Geo X Megapack SD Card.
    The GOG Games have no DRM and you can install them as often you like.
    That Humble Neo Bundle was done by DotEmu and came with regular zipped ROMs. The Android Neo releases from Humble require some file splitting to match original ROM structure, but that's hardly reverse engineering. I'm guessing the ROM data can also be extracted from various console compilations, but I remember the PS2 ones being packed with something proprietary. It's been years since I poked around these. I did see a Samsho V Xbox Hack on Neo, so I'm guessing someone compiled a Neo ROM from what was on the disc?

Thou Shalt Not
    Question Rot.

Quote Originally Posted by retro View Post
    Just download mame+rom, enjoy superior emulation and send your cash to me. You're welcome.
    I liked you better when you were warroom locked... let these people spend some money on Chinese SNKP stuff if they like. Not like it's going to hurt anyone (even though I agree it's kinda dumb).

Ghost Of Captain Kidd

One way to look at it I suppose is, if something goes back to SNK that's good. If enough sells it shows them some feelers on what to develop further (sequels or similar new titles) even better. Best way to get a company to give a damn is to vote with your wallet.

Thou Shalt Not
    Question Rot.

If enough sells it shows them some feelers on what to develop further (sequels or similar new titles) even better. Best way to get a company to give a damn is to vote with your wallet.
    lol, no. it only shows them there is a quick way to make money off dirty ports. but it might help keep the company afloat.

Geese's Thug

These are only worth paying for if there is a convenience factor and its as good or better than what you could do on your own with an emulator.

From what I have read, the Dotemu releases are hot garbage.

Paying for a bad experience where the developers themsevles are using emulators and roms anyway, is insane. Do not do this.

I love GOG. What they have done for classic PC games is nothing short of phenominal and I strive to only pay for DRM free game releases so I have the flexibility to maintain an install anywhere archive.

I know we all love SNK, the artwork, the logos, and the chars, but don't let this dupe you into paying for the same games in worse format over and over again. If you buy this stuff, it only encourages them to keep doing it.
    onlineconsoles.com - network gaming for the DC, GC, and PS2

Morden's Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by lordnikon View Post
    From what I have read, the Dotemu releases are hot garbage.
    Yeah, it's all in the comments on GOG. People who give these games higher ratings obviously have no idea how these games play on real hardware, but like we said, the only reason to get these is to legally own ROM images to use them with NeoSD. Anyway, the prices went up again.

Crazed MVS Addict

I still don't have a clue why you'd think you can rip a part of the product and use it legally with an emu or romcart.

Chang's Grocer

I still don't have a clue why you'd think you can rip a part of the product and use it legally with an emu or romcart.
    Exactly, where's the difference to rip a legally bought cart for the same reason, apart from additional toil.

Morden's Lackey

Why couldn't you? The zipped ROM is just a file. Unmodified. It's like taking an mp3 file from a Windows game folder and listening to it on your phone. That's neither reverse engineering nor piracy. It's using the file you bought in a different manner. It's not more illegal than playing cartridge games on things like Retron. You're not ripping anything. It's there, you bought it, it's yours. It's considered personal use. Besides, is there a point to arguing this might be illegal in any way? Because I'm pretty sure it's a better way of playing Neo games than just downloading the ROMs for free. You're supporting the brand.

Thou Shalt Not
    Question Rot.

Quote Originally Posted by Morden View Post
    You're supporting the gutted out now Chinese shadow of a brand you once loved.
    FTFY

Morden's Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by xsq View Post
    FTFY
    Still, even if you want to see ports with online play, supporting the current brand is just about the only thing you can do. Anyway, that was just an afterthought. The only real reason I'd buy GOG or DotEmu releases is to get legal ROMs. I did however buy a whole bunch of console ports and compilations over the years. I think BlackaneseNiNjA said he can't help himself when he sees Neo titles re-released. A lot of us are like that, I guess. I don't usually pay full price for those digital releases, but sure, every now and then I'll buy a Neo title I already own, often on multiple platforms, just because it's discounted on PSN or wherever.

GOG added some more games. If you want to buy em cheap buy a bundle. If you already have some ore em purchase anyway they wont cound but u still get the cheap bundle price.

New games are :
    Art of Fighting 2
    Real Bout 2
    Garou
    Sengoku 3
    Neo Turf Masters
    Pulstar
    Iron Clad
    Shock Troopers 2nd squad

Only 1,29 Euros per game (yes i know you can also download and play em for free from somewhere else).
    SNK the future is now

Ghost Of Captain Kidd

And with those the last of the bundle the Humble Bundle Neo Geo 25th Anniversary pack had in it are now up on GoG. I'd be surprised if any more popped up.

Thread Information