KOF 98 emoji gifs on social media

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I was on QQ (Chinese social media) and saw some new 98 emoji gifs were up.

Screenshot_2017-07-31-14-44-01-834_com.tencent.mobileqq.png

Screenshot_2017-07-31-14-44-10-132_com.tencent.mobileqq.png

Aaaaaand I just now remembered Tencent, the company behind QQ, has partnered up with SNK which explains why these are there..

Looking for more info about Tencent and SNK, I came across this old article: http://dreamcancel.com/2015/02/03/the-2-years-of-kof-with-tencent-a-look-back/

I want to know more about Tencent's relationship with SNK now.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I was thinking... if you use KoF emoji's on a message... does that make you a tryhard?

It's all very confusing this new age of social media...

xROTx

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Thanks for sharing that article about the partnership between Tencent and SNK. That relationship appears to have done wonders for their esports crowd there. SNK could really use that kind of support in other parts of the world too. Retro rereleases can only go so far. SNK could definitely benefit from the same community support that Capcom was able to develop and grow post street fighter iv.

Let us know what else you find, LS.

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
So, the most important question is: how can you use these for sexting?

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
Not bad, you could get some mileage out of a handful.

SXjFxtn.png

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
For whom are these for? Anyone that loved KOF is really clinging to the past still to have to use these as emojis. I fucking LOVED kof. Had every single one on AES for God's sake. And I wouldn't be caught dead using these. Furthermore, certain things simply do not go hand in hand. Like, when are they gonna come out with a Lavern and Shirley video game? What's that? Those two things don't go together? You're RIGHT.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
For whom are these for? Anyone that loved KOF is really clinging to the past still to have to use these as emojis. I fucking LOVED kof. Had every single one on AES for God's sake. And I wouldn't be caught dead using these. Furthermore, certain things simply do not go hand in hand. Like, when are they gonna come out with a Lavern and Shirley video game? What's that? Those two things don't go together? You're RIGHT.

Upon further inspection, it looks like they're not for KOF98 specifically, but an online game called KOF98 Online (Chinese title is 拳皇98终极之战OL, if anyone cares to look more into it) which came out two years ago. It's probably developed by Tencent, and since Tencent owns QQ (the social media with the emojis) then yeah.

To go deeper into your question though, I remember my first few months here. I'd see Paris-Dakar rally stickers on cars, girls wearing Arale hats (from the Dr. Slump manga), Biohazard Umbrella stickers on cars...I learned quickly that Chinese, in fact, didn't care about that stuff. They weren't rally racing fans, they had NO clue wtf Arale was, and had never played a Resident Evil game. It was just all for 'fashion'. Fuck, this past year I've seen tons of people wearing Simpsons t-shirts, Nirvana t-shirts, Linkin Park shirts, etc and they've never seen the Simpsons or have listened to Nirvana or Linkin Park. Again, just for 'fashion' - I guess kinda how weeaboos used to wear Japanese t-shirts in middle school back in America.

So people might use these emojis without even knowing what KOF98 is, beyond just some Tencent phone game. They might be surprised it was originally an arcade game developed by Japanese devils near 20 years ago.

So there's my explanation.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
i it 'fashion' or the lust for a western lifestyle?