Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: LCD screens in Sega Driving Cab

  1. #1
    Angel's Love Slave
    LegoSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    San Francisco, CA

    Posts
    1,074

    LCD screens in Sega Driving Cab

    Just wanted to get people's opinions. I'm thinking of changing out the sanwa monitors which came in a Sega Driver. Anyone have first hand experience or seen one of these mods in person?

    I know it's sacrilege to some, and I normally am all for keeping things original. But these monitors are not the greatest, and while I do plan to recap them and get them back to working shape if possible, I'll end up keeping them as spares.

    I think I'm a little spoiled since my other cabs have little to no screen burn.

    I'm leaning towards 27 inch lcd's so I can keep the speakers and glass cover in place (will probably only need to buy or make a bezel.

    However I have seen some people mount screens as large as 32!
    I don't think I want to get it and get rid of the speakers and glass. Seems like more modifications than necessary just to get a slightly bigger screen.

    Let me know if you have mounted or seen lcds in sega cabs.
    Last edited by LegoSlug; 07-30-2017 at 12:32 PM.

  2. #2
    KING of teh SCOOPS!
    radiantsvgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Paulding, GA

    Posts
    1,041
    I've seen LCDs in the smaller cabs, didn't look that bad. Are these the cabs that you just recently bought? If so, how do they hook up to the current monitor? If its VGA you'll at least get to skip a step or two.
    Quote Originally Posted by kernow View Post
    Serious, serious problems man, you have them.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Houston, Tx

    Posts
    108
    A buddy of mine has a Crazy Taxi sit-down cabinet that he did an LCD mod to and it turned out really nice. Colors were bright and the screen was very well fit to the cab. He used one of the VGA converter boards. 4th gen I think.

  4. #4
    Angel's Love Slave
    LegoSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    San Francisco, CA

    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by radiantsvgun View Post
    I've seen LCDs in the smaller cabs, didn't look that bad. Are these the cabs that you just recently bought? If so, how do they hook up to the current monitor? If its VGA you'll at least get to skip a step or two.
    Yea, it's for an initial d twin, and yes they already work off vga, so it makes it easier to do.

    Quote Originally Posted by NexusX View Post
    A buddy of mine has a Crazy Taxi sit-down cabinet that he did an LCD mod to and it turned out really nice. Colors were bright and the screen was very well fit to the cab. He used one of the VGA converter boards. 4th gen I think.
    Any idea what size monitor he used? I'm leaning towards 27' (price, size, least amount of alteration), but the 32' mods I have seen make the cabs look pretty nice, almost a legitimate upgrade from the crt.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Houston, Tx

    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by LegoSlug View Post
    Any idea what size monitor he used? I'm leaning towards 27' (price, size, least amount of alteration), but the 32' mods I have seen make the cabs look pretty nice, almost a legitimate upgrade from the crt.
    He was able to hunt down a 25" 4:3 LCD VGA monitor for it. That way he didn't have to worry about dealing with a modern wide-screen installation and trim. I have seen 27" 4:3 LCD monitors out there but that may take some effort to get one for a good price. Those sizes were not common back in the day.

  6. #6
    Neo Bubble Buster
    NeoLucian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom

    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by NexusX View Post
    He was able to hunt down a 25" 4:3 LCD VGA monitor for it. That way he didn't have to worry about dealing with a modern wide-screen installation and trim. I have seen 27" 4:3 LCD monitors out there but that may take some effort to get one for a good price. Those sizes were not common back in the day.
    I popped a TV into my SEGA Rally Cab, looked around for a more compatible screen and didnt find anything so nipped into argos and picked up a cheap TV.
    made a bracket that will hold it in place, works really well

    however i removed the original SEGA Rally boards (they broke repeatedly) and now use a laptop with the model 2 emulator for SEGA Rally (and Daytona etc.) but can also emulate other systems (e.g. GameCube for Mario Kart)

    wiring is done with an A-Pac and not an L2M2 board as I struggled to find one at the time

    Sorry dont have a better picture to hand

    WP_20170727_11_57_52_Pro (1).jpg
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

  7. #7
    KING of teh SCOOPS!
    radiantsvgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Paulding, GA

    Posts
    1,041
    Quote Originally Posted by LegoSlug View Post
    Yea, it's for an initial d twin, and yes they already work off vga, so it makes it easier to do.
    Oh yeah you're set, the hard part will be fitting them in the cabinet. I'd look into researching something that's low lag.
    Quote Originally Posted by kernow View Post
    Serious, serious problems man, you have them.

  8. #8
    Angel's Love Slave
    LegoSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    San Francisco, CA

    Posts
    1,074
    Nice Sega Rally cab!

    Quote Originally Posted by radiantsvgun View Post
    Oh yeah you're set, the hard part will be fitting them in the cabinet. I'd look into researching something that's low lag.
    I was leaning towards this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...DKIKX0DER&th=1

    Online sources say lag is less than 10ms, they claim 4ms. Price is good, probably the biggest I can go without gutting the cab speakers and monitor shroud.

  9. #9
    Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby is doing and can I afford to take care of him while buying your stuff. HDRchampion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    I NO SCARE!

    Posts
    2,580
    keep us updated whenever you do it!

  10. #10
    Angel's Love Slave
    LegoSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    San Francisco, CA

    Posts
    1,074
    Maybe I should do a before/after restoration thread. I'm maybe 1/2 way done with cleaning 1 of the two twins.

  11. #11
    Neo Bubble Buster
    NeoLucian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom

    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by LegoSlug View Post
    Maybe I should do a before/after restoration thread. I'm maybe 1/2 way done with cleaning 1 of the two twins.
    Its a good idea if you can, I really regret not taking pics when I did mine (and writing down what I actually did), so if I wanted to do another one now then I would have to start from scratch as I have forgotten how I wired in the controls etc.
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

  12. #12
    Angel's Love Slave
    LegoSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    San Francisco, CA

    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoLucian View Post
    Its a good idea if you can, I really regret not taking pics when I did mine (and writing down what I actually did), so if I wanted to do another one now then I would have to start from scratch as I have forgotten how I wired in the controls etc.
    I'll start a new thread once I get some pictures. I ended up ordering this monitor:
    ASUS VN279Q 27" Full HD 1920x1080 DisplayPort HDMI VGA Eye Care Monitor
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

    Buttons are on the back of the monitor which I think will come in handy, and it is a little bit slimmer than the ACER monitor. I took some measurements and it's going to be a tight fit, if I intend not to modify the cab too much.Just one on the way, I have 30 days to return if it doesn't work out, no point in ordering 2 just yet.
    Last edited by LegoSlug; 08-03-2017 at 06:37 PM.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Houston, Tx

    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by LegoSlug View Post
    I ended up ordering this monitor:
    ASUS VN279Q 27" Full HD 1920x1080 DisplayPort HDMI
    You order the RGB to VGA converter board yet?
    Last edited by NexusX; 08-03-2017 at 07:24 PM.

  14. #14
    Angel's Love Slave
    LegoSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    San Francisco, CA

    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by NexusX View Post
    You order the RGB to VGA converter board yet?
    There shouldn't be a need, I'm gonna hook it up directly from Naomi 2 via VGA.

    Looked at the manual and it supports 640x480 at 31.5KHz, so I think it will work. Also, looks like the monitor has a lot of adjustment options in vga mode. Keeping my fingers crossed.
    Last edited by LegoSlug; 08-03-2017 at 07:46 PM.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Houston, Tx

    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by LegoSlug View Post
    There shouldn't be a need, I'm gonna hook it up directly from Naomi 2 via VGA.

    Looked at the manual and it supports 640x480 at 31.5KHz, so I think it will work. Also, looks like the monitor has a lot of adjustment options in vga mode. Keeping my fingers crossed.
    Thats right. I keep forgetting that the Naomi supports native VGA out. I have been wanting to get my hands on one of them for some DOA 2 action for the longest time.
    Last edited by NexusX; 08-03-2017 at 08:26 PM.

  16. #16
    Neo Bubble Buster
    NeoLucian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom

    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by LegoSlug View Post
    I'll start a new thread once I get some pictures. I ended up ordering this monitor:
    ASUS VN279Q 27" Full HD 1920x1080 DisplayPort HDMI VGA Eye Care Monitor
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

    Buttons are on the back of the monitor which I think will come in handy, and it is a little bit slimmer than the ACER monitor. I took some measurements and it's going to be a tight fit, if I intend not to modify the cab too much.Just one on the way, I have 30 days to return if it doesn't work out, no point in ordering 2 just yet.
    Good luck with it, Monitor looks good and im sure with a bit of persuasion it will fit.
    Will keep an eye out for the other thread when you have made it.
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

  17. #17
    Angel's Love Slave
    LegoSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    San Francisco, CA

    Posts
    1,074
    Started a general tech support thread for restoring/upgrading the initial d cabs here:
    http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showth...RK-IN-PROGRESS

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •