Thread: Happy 25th anniversary to... WORLD HEROES!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The Wonder Years

Happy 25th anniversary to... WORLD HEROES!

That's right!

July 28, 1992, World Heroes hit arcades.

Today's July 28, 2017. It's been 25 years. Share your memories (and rants) here.

1. Where were you the first time you played it?
    2. Did you like it then?
    3. Has your opinion of the first WH game changed any today from 25 years ago?

Time to fire up the old Doc Brown time machine and relive me some World Heroes. Still my favorite franchise of all time (from a sentimental POV)

Chang's Grocer

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Still my favorite franchise of all time (from a sentimental POV)
    You must be very sentimental ;).

But sure, HBD! Thing I like best about the series is: it's from ADK, the SNK pariahs. Those guys rocked hard and at the end, they wagged the dog.

Amano's Drinking Buddy

I enjoyed the novelty of the characters and the death match fights in WH2
    "I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul."
    3DS Friend code: 4811-7358-8350

Quote Originally Posted by ObeyMyEgo View Post
    ggallegos1 Is a cock sucking faggot. That is all.

Withered Penis!

I didn't discover it until WH2 but it is my favorite fighting series.

It has the best execution of a Bruce Lee-esque character in Dragon and the most awesome racism in Mudman and super-mecha-hitler, Brocken.

The Death Match mode with the teeter-totter life bar is an overlooked gem of the fighting genre.

Finally, do Ryu/Ken imitators get any better than Hanzo/Fuuma?

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Benjamin
    As for the collector, his collection is never complete; even if he is missing but a single object, all that he has collected nevertheless remains fragmentary...

J. Max's Chauffeur
    In the Ikari Attack Helicopter over the Philadelphia Seaside with J. Max, Robert Garcia, Mr. Krabs, and a Mean Guile to defeat evil, then eat cheesesteaks and water ice afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by gusmoney View Post
    I didn't discover it until WH2 but it is my favorite fighting series.
    Me too, my friends got me into it actually. There is a bowling alley called Sproul not too far from me and when we were in high school like 16-17 years old, we would go to a cheesesteak shop called the Hungry A next to the bowling alley, ogle the 18 year old girls that worked there, bowl a couple of games, and then play some World Heroes 2 on the MVS machine at the bowling alley. Good times.
    Last edited by Ralfakick; 07-29-2017 at 11:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Speaking of that, the most bizzare thing that happened at that TMG (http://www.toomanygames.com/) was Ed Flemming getting his truck front bumper stuck to a pole and ripping it clean off!! Goes to show, you shouldn't drink and drive.

Jon

Cheng's Errand Boy

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    That's right!

July 28, 1992, World Heroes hit arcades.

Today's July 28, 2017. It's been 25 years. Share your memories (and rants) here.

1. Where were you the first time you played it?
    2. Did you like it then?
    3. Has your opinion of the first WH game changed any today from 25 years ago?

Time to fire up the old Doc Brown time machine and relive me some World Heroes. Still my favorite franchise of all time (from a sentimental POV)

I liked WH2 and its sequels, since they had the NFL Football player (Johnny Maximum) in them. As far as I can tell, those are the only fighting games with a character like that.

J. Max's Chauffeur
    In the Ikari Attack Helicopter over the Philadelphia Seaside with J. Max, Robert Garcia, Mr. Krabs, and a Mean Guile to defeat evil, then eat cheesesteaks and water ice afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalCore View Post
    I liked WH2 and its sequels, since they had the NFL Football player (Johnny Maximum) in them. As far as I can tell, those are the only fighting games with a character like that.
    Brian Battler?

brian-9812.gif
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Speaking of that, the most bizzare thing that happened at that TMG (http://www.toomanygames.com/) was Ed Flemming getting his truck front bumper stuck to a pole and ripping it clean off!! Goes to show, you shouldn't drink and drive.

Jon

World's Greatest Poster Dr Shroom's Avatar

world heroes fucking sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by christoph View Post
    Is there no moderation, anywhere on this entire site?

Blame madman
    You Know You Want To.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Shroom View Post
    world heroes fucking sucks.
    I'm sure asid will be around shortly to tell you that you're an idiot, you don't know shit about games and you're too stupid to understand how great WH is.
    >

JukeBox Hero!

World Heroes 1 is a little rough but I dig 2, Jet, and Perfect. They have a lot of personality and the fighting system, while not super technical, is fairly unique at least as far as I have seen.

My experience with World Heroes must have started with World Heroes 2 Jet or Perfect. I remember looking thru a Diehard Gamefan magazine and looking at all the pictures of the game, I must have been 7, maybe 8, and I thought Jack was really cool-looking. I wanted to play the game bad, but never did.

I must have rented World Heroes on the SNES at some point in time, but that memory has long since faded.

Then in high school I got a consolized MVS and World Heroes 1 and 2. Both of the games are objectively not great - there's a lot wrong with them, especially balance issues in the first game. But both of them are part of fuzzy memories in most Neo owners' minds, I'd like to think. Just one of those things that was good as a kid, and you grow up and see it wasn't even that good - and yet you can still appreciate it.

The only thing that bothers me now are nearly all the characters are based on real people, except for Johnny Maximum. People say he was based on Joe Montana but that's bullshit, he's just some ultra-generic football player in a fighting game.

Neo Bubble Buster

World Heroes showed up at the Circle K just down the street from where I lived in 1992. I lived in a very small town, so I would go to the Circle K in the middle of the night with a pair of headphones and play the shit out of the Neo Geo 4-slot they had there. It wasn't long before I dominated on World Heroes, and quite honestly it was really easy to beat the computer using Dragon. Then later I got deadly with Brocken against other human opponents. In spite of its rather simplistic design, I have a lot of fond nostalgia feelings for the game now.

Cheng's Errand Boy

Such a great series and why World Heroes has a permanent spot in Slot 4 of my Neo Geo 6 Slot. I still remember the first time I played it in '92 and everyone in the arcade talking about how this was the Street fighter 2 killer and how Hanzo was the Neo-Geo's "Ryu" and Fuuma was the Neo-Geo's "Ken." Although I like to play World Heroes 2 more, I have great memories for the first one.
    Top Tier Arcade

NO ONE ever said this was a SFII killer, you ass

We have purposely
    trained him wrong
    ...as a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneSage View Post
    He must be in a different timeline as this doesn't make any sense.

he spends hundreds on scarves, of course he's a fag and then ChuChu Flamingo preserved the aftermath in a plastic case making sure it wasn't exposed to unstable air
    You're just upset that you're too goddam stupid to understand the games and whiff infinites.

Cheng's Errand Boy

Quote Originally Posted by LoneSage View Post
    What's the matter with you? I remember in the arcade people around the game saying that. This is not an argument or discussion, that's what I heard. Jesus Christ
    Top Tier Arcade

Hardened Shock Trooper

Quote Originally Posted by TopTierArcade View Post
    Such a great series and why World Heroes has a permanent spot in Slot 4 of my Neo Geo 6 Slot. I still remember the first time I played it in '92 and everyone in the arcade talking about how this was the Street fighter 2 killer and how Hanzo was the Neo-Geo's "Ryu" and Fuuma was the Neo-Geo's "Ken." Although I like to play World Heroes 2 more, I have great memories for the first one.
    I love neo fighting games but WH is pretty far down on the list of my favourite fighting games on the system. Ive never played any of the sequels so maybe there is a huge improvement.
    The Offensive Orgy Mode!!!

Cham Cham's Banana

Has anyone played the World Heroes Anthology disc on PS2? I was thinking about picking that one up, and I'd like to know how the emulation is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Panda View Post
    Prestige.
    Quote Originally Posted by wyo_vr4 View Post
    Worldwide.

Pleasure Goal

Remember when i played World Heroes on arcade for the first time when i was 15year old!Like it!

Pleasure Goal

Remember when world Heroes released,played it a lot,Favorite character (Kim Dragon)!

Ill never forget the first time I played World Heroes 2, it was at a Pizza Hut in Georgia. The spikes on the wall and deathmatch blew my mind. Such a fun series!

Thread Information