Neo Geo AES RGB SCART Sync Problems

I just recently got my RGB SCART cable in from retro_console_accessories on eBay and have been running into some issues with sync. I should mention that I am using a Sony PVM and Extron (which I know only accepts CSYNC), but I've had issues with signal directly into the PVM, which would rule out the pickiness of the Extron. I have a Japanese AES with a serial number of 72453 if this helps with troubleshooting. Anyone have an idea as to what I can do?

Thanks!

This is the link to the cable I purchased: http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-seller-N...335481?hash=item259e4868b9:g:HBsAAOxyf1dTKJDf

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You need to check which version board is in the AES. If it's the 1st version or version with the daughterboard, you need to swap out the caps and resistors on the RGBS lines behind the AV socket with 470uf and 75ohm to fix the ac coupling issues. Use 10v caps, fit perfect, any voltage rating higher and you'll have to squeeze them in. There's a total of 5 caps that need to be changed or you can change all 6. The one all the way on the left is I think 10uf for the mono audio, the other 5 should be 100uf, those are the ones to swap out for 470uf.

You need to check which version board is in the AES. If it's the 1st version or version with the daughterboard, you need to swap out the caps and resistors on the RGBS lines behind the AV socket with 470uf and 75ohm to fix the ac coupling issues. Use 10v caps, fit perfect, any voltage rating higher and you'll have to squeeze them in. There's a total of 5 caps that need to be changed or you can change all 6. The one all the way on the left is I think 10uf for the mono audio, the other 5 should be 100uf, those are the ones to swap out for 470uf.

Thank you! Do you know where I can purchase the capacitors necessary?

Go with digikey.com since they offer 1st class shipping that arrives in the same time as priority mail.

You can use these:

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/kemet/ESH477M010AE3AA/399-6589-ND/3083004
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/yageo/CFR-25JB-52-75R/75QBK-ND/3497

Something else just came to mind. Would I still need to replace the caps if I got an HD Retrovision AES component cable? Not sure if this would help bypass this issue since I have a component switch box on the Extron as well

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Something else just came to mind. Would I still need to replace the caps if I got an HD Retrovision AES component cable? Not sure if this would help bypass this issue since I have a component switch box on the Extron as well

Yes, you would still need to. The RGB output from the 1st gen AES is less than ideal, no matter what any website graph says.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Looks like these are sold out on digikey :(
I found the caps in stock on Mouser but not the resistor you listed. Any alternatives to the one you listed?

You can use any 75ohm axial 1/4 watt resistor.

You can use any 75ohm axial 1/4 watt resistor.

Awesome.

Just found out that I have a 3-6 and it looks like it already has the 470uf caps on it. Any other things to look out for?

Here's a pic of the board:

o8Sf7W1.jpg

IX9YDt0.jpg

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If it's a 3-6, I would still swap out the caps for new ones since they are from 1991.