Anybody have pics of Neo Geo in a storefront setting in the 1990's?

benjiedude

Quiz Detective
I think pictures of an AES in an actual storefront in the 90's are even more rare than collecting the games themselves. I searched for months looking all over the internet and came up with nothing. I was lucky enough to have witnessed an actual Neo Geo AES sale at a Babbages in 1993 or 1994 at the mall. I have never seen a pic of one sitting on a shelf of an Electronics Boutique, Babbages or anywhere else. I also couldn't find any unboxings that took place back then either, Xmas or otherwise until retro collecting became a thing. I figured this is the place to ask. Show what you got!

Last edited:

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
We're unboxings even a thing back then? I'm not sure why they are even a thing now...

benjiedude

Quiz Detective
We're unboxings even a thing back then? I'm not sure why they are even a thing now...

Yeah...I was thinking more in the sense of some lucky rich kids who got it for Xmas and mom or dad wanted to record the reaction. Apparently there are none out there though.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Yeah...I was thinking more in the sense of some lucky rich kids who got it for Xmas and mom or dad wanted to record the reaction. Apparently there are none out there though.

So now you're after pics of a storefront with children. This is getting strange buddy.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
giphy.gif

Jag-Master

"Hey, are we done here?..., Cause I'm losing my bu
15 Year Member
From what I remember the system and games were on shelving units behind the registers. This was the case for the Babbages, Software Etc., Funcoland, Electronics Boutique, etc. in my area growing up.

Toys R Us had the plastic hang tags and paper slips for purchase that needed to be brought to the counter.
The console itself was behind glass and on display with the other consoles of the time.

My area never had a neo live demo unit, just the typical Nintendo, Sega, and a few odd ducks 3DO, Atari for playing.

benjiedude

Quiz Detective
From what I remember the system and games were on shelving units behind the registers. This was the case for the Babbages, Software Etc., Funcoland, Electronics Boutique, etc. in my area growing up.

Toys R Us had the plastic hang tags and paper slips for purchase that needed to be brought to the counter.
The console itself was behind glass and on display with the other consoles of the time.

My area never had a neo live demo unit, just the typical Nintendo, Sega, and a few odd ducks 3DO, Atari for playing.

That's how I remember it as well although I don't remember Toys R Us selling Neo Geo...could be wrong.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
The system box was on a shelf way up high at our mall's Babbages. Like a holy grail out of reach. Too bad I never snapped a photo back then. Of course back then you had to use actual film, so no one wasted film on that.

There are times I wish I had that photo too. I'd use it in my Youtube series.

Gentle Ben

NAM-75 Vet
The Toys R Us in Albuquerque in 92 had a NG on display running Magician Lord. Always had a line of kids waiting to play, so I never laid hands on it. I was obsessed with wanting to play that game though.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
lots of talk, no pics.

I keep coming to this thread, seeing it has been updated, and hoping to see some photos. Pics or it didn't happen lads.

frazer99

Living on the wrong, side of the Pennines,
20 Year Member
Super grainy and black and white but the NeoGeo was on sale in HMV, Oxford Street in London in 93. All the games were within easy reach to pick up the games, study the screenshots and read the text and think about how you were going to pay the £199.99 for Burning Fight.

QreRFne.jpg

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Okay fine, I guess I imagined the Neo for sale at Babbages. The systems simply materialized out of thin air at used mail order stores.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
and once again, frazer delivers. A+

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
I have seen a video where someone who looks like a young master tasuke is unwrapping an aes.

No idea where it was now, blended in to some youtube video probably.

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
I think pictures of an AES in an actual storefront in the 90's are even more rare than collecting the games themselves. I searched for months looking all over the internet and came up with nothing. I was lucky enough to have witnessed an actual Neo Geo AES sale at a Babbages in 1993 or 1994 at the mall. I have never seen a pic of one sitting on a shelf of an Electonics Boutique, Babbages or anywhere else. I also couldn't find any unboxings that took place back then either, Xmas or otherwise until retro collecting became a thing. I figured this is the place to ask. Show what you got!

Find a way to jack into my brain and you're welcome to watch me get my first gold sytem with Magician Lord, a memory card and a copy of Sengoku, fresh off the wall at Electronics Boutique, Broadway Mall, Hicksville, NY, circa 1990.

EB had it and the games (+ Baseball Stars, Nam, Super Spy & Cyber Lip) right there on the shelf for all to see (empty box for the Neo, the guts were in the back).

It was high up on the wall though, much like a shrine, meant to be worshipped.

No pics I'm afraid, only fond memories of the system and the bimbo that bought it for me.

Good times, good times.

As my signature says...

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
EB had it and the games (+ Baseball Stars, Nam, Super Spy & Cyber Lip) right there on the shelf for all to see (empty box for the Neo, the guts were in the back).

That's my memory of seeing Neo stuff at Software Etc during that time. Luckily the mall arcade had a big red so I kinda knew what was up. But in those days I couldn't afford a discounted NES let alone a Neo.

benjiedude

Quiz Detective
Find a way to jack into my brain and you're welcome to watch me get my first gold sytem with Magician Lord, a memory card and a copy of Sengoku, fresh off the wall at Electronics Boutique, Broadway Mall, Hicksville, NY, circa 1990....

One of the lucky ones... there's more to that bimbo story I'm sure. If only we could screenshot your brain for that glorious day.