Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32

Thread: Anybody have pics of Neo Geo in a storefront setting in the 1990's?

  1. #1
    Kuroko's Training Dummy

    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    USA

    Posts
    86

    Anybody have pics of Neo Geo in a storefront setting in the 1990's?

    I think pictures of an AES in an actual storefront in the 90's are even more rare than collecting the games themselves. I searched for months looking all over the internet and came up with nothing. I was lucky enough to have witnessed an actual Neo Geo AES sale at a Babbages in 1993 or 1994 at the mall. I have never seen a pic of one sitting on a shelf of an Electronics Boutique, Babbages or anywhere else. I also couldn't find any unboxings that took place back then either, Xmas or otherwise until retro collecting became a thing. I figured this is the place to ask. Show what you got!
    Last edited by benjiedude; 07-29-2017 at 07:05 AM.

  2. #2
    B
    ASS
    IC
    basic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    ???

    Posts
    895
    I see you are into unique situational porn

  3. #3
    Kuroko's Training Dummy

    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    USA

    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by basic View Post
    I see you are into unique situational porn
    Lmao.

  4. #4
    Angel's Love Slave
    egg_sanwich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada

    Posts
    1,052
    We're unboxings even a thing back then? I'm not sure why they are even a thing now...

  5. #5
    drunk downunder!
    aka. Muff Diver.
    lachlan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    A Hard Earned Thirst

    Posts
    12,971
    Quote Originally Posted by egg_sanwich View Post
    We're unboxings even a thing back then? I'm not sure why they are even a thing now...
    Some people get hard over that shit...

  6. #6
    Kuroko's Training Dummy

    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    USA

    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by egg_sanwich View Post
    We're unboxings even a thing back then? I'm not sure why they are even a thing now...
    Yeah...I was thinking more in the sense of some lucky rich kids who got it for Xmas and mom or dad wanted to record the reaction. Apparently there are none out there though.

  7. #7
    drunk downunder!
    aka. Muff Diver.
    lachlan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    A Hard Earned Thirst

    Posts
    12,971
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiedude View Post
    Yeah...I was thinking more in the sense of some lucky rich kids who got it for Xmas and mom or dad wanted to record the reaction. Apparently there are none out there though.
    So now you're after pics of a storefront with children. This is getting strange buddy.

  8. #8
    Kuroko's Training Dummy

    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    USA

    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by lachlan View Post
    So now you're after pics of a storefront with children. This is getting strange buddy.
    Knew it could get there quick. Lol

  9. #9
    drunk downunder!
    aka. Muff Diver.
    lachlan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    A Hard Earned Thirst

    Posts
    12,971

  10. #10
    B
    ASS
    IC
    basic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    ???

    Posts
    895
    Rule 34 - it exists

  11. #11
    "Hey, are we done here?...
    Cause I'm losing my buzz!"
    Jag-Master's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin

    Posts
    1,014
    From what I remember the system and games were on shelving units behind the registers. This was the case for the Babbages, Software Etc., Funcoland, Electronics Boutique, etc. in my area growing up.

    Toys R Us had the plastic hang tags and paper slips for purchase that needed to be brought to the counter.
    The console itself was behind glass and on display with the other consoles of the time.

    My area never had a neo live demo unit, just the typical Nintendo, Sega, and a few odd ducks 3DO, Atari for playing.

    http://www.jamma-nation-x.com



    Quote Originally Posted by Bobak View Post
    People in the Northern Midwest seem to love Jag, especially in Wisconsin. There's a funny Lewis Black bit about the drinking habits of people in Wisconsin where he brings up the love of Jag --I think I caught it on YouTube.

  12. #12
    Kuroko's Training Dummy

    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    USA

    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag-Master View Post
    From what I remember the system and games were on shelving units behind the registers. This was the case for the Babbages, Software Etc., Funcoland, Electronics Boutique, etc. in my area growing up.

    Toys R Us had the plastic hang tags and paper slips for purchase that needed to be brought to the counter.
    The console itself was behind glass and on display with the other consoles of the time.

    My area never had a neo live demo unit, just the typical Nintendo, Sega, and a few odd ducks 3DO, Atari for playing.
    That's how I remember it as well although I don't remember Toys R Us selling Neo Geo...could be wrong.

  13. #13

    Neo Alec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    USA

    Posts
    8,609
    The system box was on a shelf way up high at our mall's Babbages. Like a holy grail out of reach. Too bad I never snapped a photo back then. Of course back then you had to use actual film, so no one wasted film on that.

    There are times I wish I had that photo too. I'd use it in my Youtube series.
    https://basementbrothers.net/

  14. #14
    Haomaru's Blade Shiner
    Gentle Ben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Portland, OR USA

    Posts
    835
    The Toys R Us in Albuquerque in 92 had a NG on display running Magician Lord. Always had a line of kids waiting to play, so I never laid hands on it. I was obsessed with wanting to play that game though.

  15. #15
    Thou Shalt Not
    Question Rot.
    xsq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Muenster, Germany

    Posts
    7,318
    lots of talk, no pics.

  16. #16
    Unsure if You Asked
    For a custom Rank
    But Hell, why not.
    gusmoney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    illadelph Snail Trail aka the Pleasure Domes

    Posts
    1,607
    Quote Originally Posted by xsq View Post
    lots of talk, no pics.
    I keep coming to this thread, seeing it has been updated, and hoping to see some photos. Pics or it didn't happen lads.
    https://i.imgur.com/XZTOtUQm.png

  17. #17
    Living on the wrong
    side of the Pennines
    frazer99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Up North, England

    Posts
    341
    Super grainy and black and white but the NeoGeo was on sale in HMV, Oxford Street in London in 93. All the games were within easy reach to pick up the games, study the screenshots and read the text and think about how you were going to pay the 199.99 for Burning Fight.

    Last edited by frazer99; 07-30-2017 at 01:37 PM.
    Twitter: @NeoGeoCollector
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/NGCollector
    NEOGEO: A Visual History - Official SNK Book: www.neogeobook.co.uk

    Other Projects:
    www.neogeocollector.co.uk
    www.supercarwedding.co.uk
    www.fordmustangwedding.co.uk

  18. #18

    Neo Alec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    USA

    Posts
    8,609
    Okay fine, I guess I imagined the Neo for sale at Babbages. The systems simply materialized out of thin air at used mail order stores.
    https://basementbrothers.net/

  19. #19
    Thou Shalt Not
    Question Rot.
    xsq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Muenster, Germany

    Posts
    7,318
    and once again, frazer delivers. A+

  20. #20
    Kuroko's Training Dummy

    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    USA

    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by xsq View Post
    and once again, frazer delivers. A+
    Indeed. Months of searching and this is the only pic that qualifies. Bonus to anyone who can find one in color.

  21. #21
    Thou Shalt Not
    Question Rot.
    xsq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Muenster, Germany

    Posts
    7,318

  22. #22
    Bao's Babysitter
    ballzdeepx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Nakatomi Towers

    Posts
    2,827
    I have seen a video where someone who looks like a young master tasuke is unwrapping an aes.

    No idea where it was now, blended in to some youtube video probably.

  23. #23

    TMOSteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Metropolis

    Posts
    526
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiedude View Post
    I think pictures of an AES in an actual storefront in the 90's are even more rare than collecting the games themselves. I searched for months looking all over the internet and came up with nothing. I was lucky enough to have witnessed an actual Neo Geo AES sale at a Babbages in 1993 or 1994 at the mall. I have never seen a pic of one sitting on a shelf of an Electonics Boutique, Babbages or anywhere else. I also couldn't find any unboxings that took place back then either, Xmas or otherwise until retro collecting became a thing. I figured this is the place to ask. Show what you got!
    Find a way to jack into my brain and you're welcome to watch me get my first gold sytem with Magician Lord, a memory card and a copy of Sengoku, fresh off the wall at Electronics Boutique, Broadway Mall, Hicksville, NY, circa 1990.

    EB had it and the games (+ Baseball Stars, Nam, Super Spy & Cyber Lip) right there on the shelf for all to see (empty box for the Neo, the guts were in the back).

    It was high up on the wall though, much like a shrine, meant to be worshipped.

    No pics I'm afraid, only fond memories of the system and the bimbo that bought it for me.

    Good times, good times.

    As my signature says...
    You never forget your first Neo...

  24. #24
    I have earned the
    right to PM Rot.
    ChopstickSamurai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Planet Earth

    Posts
    1,655
    Quote Originally Posted by TMOSteel View Post

    EB had it and the games (+ Baseball Stars, Nam, Super Spy & Cyber Lip) right there on the shelf for all to see (empty box for the Neo, the guts were in the back).
    That's my memory of seeing Neo stuff at Software Etc during that time. Luckily the mall arcade had a big red so I kinda knew what was up. But in those days I couldn't afford a discounted NES let alone a Neo.

  25. #25
    Kuroko's Training Dummy

    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    USA

    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by TMOSteel View Post
    Find a way to jack into my brain and you're welcome to watch me get my first gold sytem with Magician Lord, a memory card and a copy of Sengoku, fresh off the wall at Electronics Boutique, Broadway Mall, Hicksville, NY, circa 1990....
    One of the lucky ones... there's more to that bimbo story I'm sure. If only we could screenshot your brain for that glorious day.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •