Motorcycle riding... Thinking about getting into it

JohnnyFever

Mr. Big's Thug
Hello!

I'm thinking about getting into motorcycle riding. I've never been on a bike before, but I thought if I take a few riding courses and had the right bike things may work out.

What course do you guys recommend? I know that there are a few options, but which one is the most comprehensive. Also, what about a bike? Recommendations? I've heard to start out with a 250 and go from there. The dream is a Speed Triple.

Thanks!

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I forgot were I took my course in Jersey but it was one of those Weekend Courses were if you pass you get your license. It was good stuff, I learned alot, just sucked that it killed my entire weekend. I started on a 600 and after a few months of riding I felt very comfortable.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
My brother in law signed up for the weekend course and while getting in line to take his very first cruise around the cones, this girl lost control of her bike and plowed into him. Now he's got all kinds of metal rods and pins in his leg and the doctors said he'd never be able to ride a motorcycle.

I wanted to get a bike once. Had money saved and everything. Went on a fishing trip with some friends out in Napa and saw a motorcycle accident where the guy was literally in pieces. I remember driving by and seeing a portion of his jacket on the ground with a limb still in it. There was soon a light at that intersection instead of a yield sign and i soon had a maxima instead of a bike, lol.

Sorry, no advice, just a stories :)

Last edited:

eek

Mature's Make-up Artist
15 Year Member
NGT's stories are why I don't have a motorcycle even though I have the license.

But what Raz said. Take the weekend motorcycle course and then go to the DMV and take your written test and you get your license. The weekend course lets you ride on a small bike (250cc or less) but that's plenty of power for a beginner.

https://www.msf-usa.org

You can of course do the written test at the DMV so you can start riding. But you'll have to go back again after the course to show them that you passed to get your license, or if you dont do the course show up to take their test. I'd rather not waste time at the DMV so 1 trip is enough: course and then written test at DMV.

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I just have a question for you: how many car accidents have you been in during your time driving?

If the answer is one or more (or even a close call or two), then you would most likely be dead now if you were riding a motorcycle instead of a car. Truth. (and now we'll just wait for the people to chime in saying "but you're so much more maneuverable on a bike, have so much better visibility, can stop so much quicker, and can get out of the way quicker" ...and yeah...you can also die quicker too..).

eek

Mature's Make-up Artist
15 Year Member
As for bike recommendations. Don't buy a brand new bike as your first bike. You will drop it.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
MSF used to have free classes. They provided bikes and gear when i took the course.

Look for a used Daytona 675. It's like a Speed Triple, but you can probably handle it.

Helps to have friends to ride with. Riding solo can be boring after awhile.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I took a weekend course, passed by the skin of my teeth and bought a 2003 Suzuki Volusia 800 when I was like 21. I'm still the only 20 year old I've known who owned a cruiser. It looked somewhat like this, except with whitewall tires:

Suzuki_VL_800_Volusia_2011_05_1440x900.jpg

Looking back, I should've started with something a little smaller. But no regrets. Had some awesome rides on that bike. One time took a week off work and rode from Virginia up to Canada by myself.

From all accounts I've heard, everyone who buys a 250cc soon outgrows it and wants to buy a bigger one.

Also Dochartaigh quit being a fag. Riding a bike is fun. The danger and risk was worth it, and added to the excitement.

As for advice, for the first month I must've taken my bike every single day and practiced for half an hour or longer on cornering in empty parking lots. http://team-oregon.org/resources/whatwouldyoudo/cornering/

Target fixation is a real danger, always look where you want to go, not what's in front of you.

Half of summer is already gone. Sign up for the next MSF course ASAP and get yourself on a bike.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i've been riding for years and nothing gives me more joy than riding a motorbike. it's the closest thing to flying after skydiving. but some people do find the speed and whole experience a bit overwhelming. so i would say give it a try and see what you think.

as for advise, for some one in the uk it would be mostly about getting a license. because the process can be ridiculous here. but i'm guessing it's a little easier in the us. but as for the bike, as long as it's not over a 1000cc, you'll be alright. i never really understood the advise of getting a really small bike for your first. you'll be fine even with a 750cc as your first.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Only if you're suicidal. Seriously, stay off of bikes. You might be the most skilled rider, but it doesn't matter if you have douchebag asshole car drivers around you. I would never ride a bike because I take too many risks on the road and get too many speeding tickets.

Bikes are like tattoos; they're for try-hards.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Hello!

I'm thinking about getting into motorcycle riding. I've never been on a bike before, but I thought if I take a few riding courses and had the right bike things may work out.

What course do you guys recommend? I know that there are a few options, but which one is the most comprehensive. Also, what about a bike? Recommendations? I've heard to start out with a 250 and go from there. The dream is a Speed Triple.

Thanks!

I recommend going with one of these:

ngf.jpg

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Bikes are like tattoos; they're for try-hards.

How does someone enjoying riding a motorcycle make them a try hard?

You're in your 40s and still have the experience level of a teenager.

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
How does someone enjoying riding a motorcycle make them a try hard?

You're in your 40s and still have the experience level of a teenager.

I've noticed gregn has an irrational (well, everything about that retard is irrational) hatred of tattoos.

A tattoo would probably ruin his chances of being promoted from 40 year old grocery bagger to assistant manager. Career killer, yo.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
He loves giving out advice when he knows jackshit. In the TV thread he recommended a shit TV everyone else advised against. In this thread the OP's asking advice about motorcycles, and in comes the 40 year old virgin who's never ridden one and tells him not to because Greg's a risky driver (watch out guys Greg's a badass) and gets too many speeding tickets, implying Greg will kill a motorcyclist because he's a shit driver.

Greg has never taken a risk in his life. He's just waiting. He'll be waiting until it's too late to do anything worthwhile in his life.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Some cars/trucks have zero respect for motorcycle riders these days and vice versa.....At least people would pretend to give a damn before the birth of smart phones..... I've never witnessed or heard about the bike rider walking away from a collision between the two.

EDIT:LOL at the post above me. You edited that one...
BB

Last edited:

JohnnyFever

Mr. Big's Thug
Great info, guys. I work in orthopedics, so I've seen my share of motorcycle injuries. I'd still like to know how to ride, and maybe just have something to play around on. Thanks for the insight! I'm sure we'll keep hearing some good stories.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
My worse experience was being a passenger riding a bike...It was like 100degree & just sprang my ankle. The only way back home from the beach was to ride bitch seat on a motorcycle. This local dude volunteered to take me home. Of course he decided to ride without a shirt on & ran into as many potholes as possible. This the closest gay experience i ever experience, more gayer then a penis almost poking my eye.

djjimmyjames

NG.com Tattoo Artist.,
15 Year Member
My first bike was a 74 iron head, second was a 2003 soft tail springer 100th anniversary and my latest is a 2015 103 dyna low rider. I put an air breather pipes and a new tuner on so far. I can measure air temp in, out, torque, oil pressure all sensor data available through the computer itself. I use my phone as the pc and make the adjustments on it. Hopefully this year im gonna do cams and maybe a SE 110 kit. Well that will have to be winters project. My advice would be to decide if you want a cruiser, enduro or a crotch rocket. Then get a 600-750 as you will be real tired of a 250 fast. Find someone with experience that rides well and have them help you through the learning curve. Remember its not an if its a given that you will eventually put the bike down or get hit. As long as you are willing to accept that as a fact the sooner you will get over the fear.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
My worse experience was being a passenger riding a bike...It was like 100degree & just sprang my ankle. The only way back home from the beach was to ride bitch seat on a motorcycle. This local dude volunteered to take me home. Of course he decided to ride without a shirt on & ran into as many potholes as possible. This the closest gay experience i ever experience, more gayer then a penis almost poking my eye.

True Gayness

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member

i get the feeling you enjoyed it :keke:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I took a weekend course, passed by the skin of my teeth and bought a 2003 Suzuki Volusia 800 when I was like 21. I'm still the only 20 year old I've known who owned a cruiser. It looked somewhat like this, except with whitewall tires:

View attachment 45902

Looking back, I should've started with something a little smaller. But no regrets. Had some awesome rides on that bike. One time took a week off work and rode from Virginia up to Canada by myself.

From all accounts I've heard, everyone who buys a 250cc soon outgrows it and wants to buy a bigger one.

Also Dochartaigh quit being a fag. Riding a bike is fun. The danger and risk was worth it, and added to the excitement.

As for advice, for the first month I must've taken my bike every single day and practiced for half an hour or longer on cornering in empty parking lots. http://team-oregon.org/resources/whatwouldyoudo/cornering/

Target fixation is a real danger, always look where you want to go, not what's in front of you.

Half of summer is already gone. Sign up for the next MSF course ASAP and get yourself on a bike.

did you drive around wearing an orange gi and sandals
hey look im liek ryo from art of fighting guys

Last edited:

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I wanted to get a bike once. Had money saved and everything. Went on a fishing trip with some friends out in Napa and saw a motorcycle accident where the guy was literally in pieces. I remember driving by and seeing a portion of his jacket on the ground with a limb still in it.

Pics?

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
It is true that you should assume no one else on the road sees you....ever. If you have terrible driving reflexes in a car, then you shouldnt be on a motorcycle. Panic braking will end poorly.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I used to ride a Kawazaki ZX-14 but haven't had a bike for a few years. Not much fun around here due to excessive traffic and asshats.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
I used to ride a Kawazaki ZX-14 but haven't had a bike for a few years. Not much fun around here due to excessive traffic and asshats.

If lanesplitting was legal in more places in the USA (other than Cali) everybody would experience less traffic and would be safer for riders. But of course the driving masses will lose their minds and complain incessantly because everybody on a bike would get to their destination sooner.