Dreamcast KOF VGA Compatibilty

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
I know 2000-2002 on the Dreamcast are VGA compatible, but King of Fighters 99 Dream Match and 99 Evolution seem to still be up in the air. Anyone know if someone's found a way to get around it, or do I just have to deal with it?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I know 2000-2002 on the Dreamcast are VGA compatible, but King of Fighters 99 Dream Match and 99 Evolution seem to still be up in the air. Anyone know if someone's found a way to get around it, or do I just have to deal with it?

Are you playing original games or backups?

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Original '99 Evolution is not VGA compatible.

You can burn VGA-compatible versions of pretty much anything IIRC. Might make this thread moot.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
And there's some tricks to force VGA with boot/cheat discs.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Original '99 Evolution is not VGA compatible.

You can burn VGA-compatible versions of pretty much anything IIRC. Might make this thread moot.

Yup. There's also a way to edit the cd image if you can't find a vga compatible version of the dc game you are looking for.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
That's the one thing that always annoyed me about the DC. Some games are RGB or VGA compatible and some are not. Have to mess around switching cables or hooking up to different monitors to play a game. Should have just made every game VGA and RGB compatible

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
It's kinda confusing, because in a list there's some that can be VGA patched, and some that can't from what I understand. I know that both of those can't be done using boot discs or anything. I haven't tried the burned CD versions, but I'll probably try it later. There's one that claims to be VGA-capable, but some say it doesn't work.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
i had my DC modded with a new bios that can force VGA out.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
i had my DC modded with a new bios that can force VGA out.

This is interesting. Please elaborate. I was always bothered that Soul Calibur wasn't VGA compatible unless patched

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I wasn't aware of this as well. I have a region free bios but didn't know about a bios that forces vga.

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
This is interesting. Please elaborate. I was always bothered that Soul Calibur wasn't VGA compatible unless patched

? Soul Calibur works fine in VGA mode. The back of the case even says VGA compatible.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Mind trying out a burned copy of KOF 99? I'm curious to see.

I can give it a try, I think I have that burned somewhere, if not easy enuf to fing...

EDIT:
Tried it tonight, not sure if I have a bad copy of 99 but the game went blank after the sega logo. Downloading another version to see how it goes...

Last edited:

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
Might not work then. Oh well. There's plenty of versions of KOF 98 and 99 to go around, but bummer that VGA won't work for those.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Might not work then. Oh well. There's plenty of versions of KOF 98 and 99 to go around, but bummer that VGA won't work for those.

Tried again and no dice, I think I read somewhere that '99 doesn't have a vga version and isn't patchable.

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
Tried again and no dice, I think I read somewhere that '99 doesn't have a vga version and isn't patchable.

That really sucks... Wonder why they made it that way.. Not that many games were completely incompatible with VGA, but go figure most of those are good games. Granted at least with JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Capcom pushed out the For Matching Service version that could do VGA.