Swan Song - Youtube series chronologically reviewing WonderSwan games w/ background info

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5_uHxkCXvK56MI8LUv4ACn4wXMDqUb0I

An online buddy of mine has been putting in some serious work creating Swan Song, a series of short videos reviewing WonderSwan games and going into detail on their history and reception in Japan. He knows Japanese so he's able to play through the text-heavy stuff and explain the story etc, and also dig through the internet for information from niche fansites and so forth.

He just put out #30 on Puzzle Bobble earlier today! I encourage anyone interested in WonderSwan to take a look.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
That's so weak. I ran a website by the same name doing the same thing ~15 years ago. I'll bet someone could even dig up an archive of all that plain ass HTML.

edit: His knowledge of Japanese is a major advantage though.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I remember the Swan Song website, it was one of the only English resources for WonderSwan info back in the day. I was actually recently trying to bring up it up through archive.org to show to trap15 (he's making a Wonderswan shmup) but IIRC it was too broken to browse.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
Damn. :crying: If you're ever able to find it in a workable state, please let me know. I wish I wouldn't have lost the source code. At least I got a mention in Pocket Gamer out of it.

Your buddy is doing God's work. It's just a sad personal reminder that life isn't as simple as it was when I was working on that stuff.

Last edited:

Igakajook

Armored Scrum Object
Thanks - I'm definitely going to check this out. I've been watching similar series for other systems like crazy as of late, and I'm getting really into it. I currently only own 3 games for my wonderswan, so hopefully I'll find something new.

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Cool shit wonderswan is of my favorite systems ever. I love my front lite swan crystal to death.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Cool shit wonderswan is of my favorite systems ever.

Same here. It's probably the only system I could say I've collected games for. I usually get the games I want to play, but for Wonderswan, I would just buy it all, WonderGate, the sonar I've never ever used ... I also got a bunch of console variants. There's just something about it. I love this little thing. Plus, I always thought it was beyond cool that they actually promoted homebrew and made it accessible to "regular coder folks". Love me some WonderWitch games as well.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Hi Yoshi. I'm pretty sure I still have a copy of your whole site. I used to host it for you on J-Fan. I can send you the files.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Damn. :crying: If you're ever able to find it in a workable state, please let me know. I wish I wouldn't have lost the source code.

Ahh, the internet. If you ever publish anything even remotely embarrassing, it will stay online forever, but if you want to recover anything of value of importance, it's lost forever. My first laughable attempt at a website is still up, while my second and third one, which actually had some reviews plus screenshots and videos taken with my first capture card [with a TV tuner, no less] are completely gone. Figures.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
Hi Yoshi. I'm pretty sure I still have a copy of your whole site. I used to host it for you on J-Fan. I can send you the files.
How did I forget to connect those dots? That would be awesome. Thank you!

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Yoshi, I just sent you a PM with a link to a zip file of your site.

You made a lot of people happy back in the day. Thank you.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
Thanks for the hook up. I really thought that stuff was gone.