MVS crt issues

benadamx

n00b
greetings y'all!

I just picked up my first Neo-Geo, what appears to be a circa-1993 MVS 2-Slot, and generally it's in nice, very slightly beat-up vintage condition, generally works and plays as well as I'd hope for the $250 I spent on it.

However! There are two outstanding issues with the monitor (one of which is almost certainly a bad trace on the character rom system, as I understand it):

20170720_230921.jpg

As you can see, I have some horizontal lines in the logo font (and in various other sprites in-game), have seen that addressed in various youtube videos, expect I will have to clean up or bodge a connection between a few pins on mainboard, will figure that out later.

The diagonal lines tho.. that seems like a CRT issue to me, and have seen similar issues described as being due to dry solder points on the CRT neckboard or somesuch...

does that seem likely?

If so, how do I determine which solder joins to check? (is it obvious to anyone, just from looking at this?)

How do I determine what make and model CRT I have?

Thanks in advance,

bx

acampero

Quiz Detective
Did you look at the flyback on that? Try adjusting the screen control and see if that helps. Maybe the flyback is going bad?

benadamx

n00b
Did you look at the flyback on that? Try adjusting the screen control and see if that helps. Maybe the flyback is going bad?

which screen control? I found the flyback controls but didn't adjust them as they're on the side of the rig and a little awkward to get at, but looks to have two controls on it, assuming they're brightness and focus.

benadamx

n00b
just remembered i shot some video while i was in there yesterday and took some screencaps of it, looks like I have a NeoTec NT-2500 monitor:

Screenshot_2017-07-21-15-32-45.pngScreenshot_2017-07-21-15-38-36.png

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
It's also good practice to clean and dust everything inside the cab. Do this with all the cabs your purchase.