Chester Bennington killed himself

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I wouldn't say he had a great voice, it was kind of weak. what he did with it at times was respectable.
as a group they where akin to the power rangers - safe, cheesy, aimed at middle class suburban kids and their mothers.
the rapper was irritating as fuck but he had more skillz than Chester in my opinion. singers that do shouty/clean vocals had him beat before the get go (between Burton C.Bell, Phil Anselmo, and Chino Moreno (first few albums), there's nothing left to do really)
also Fred Durst has an ugly beard but some talent (and a fuck load of bad taste).
so I see I don't agree with you on any point
:tickled:

You're not giving the power rangers enough credit here.

Also...if we're talking 90's screamed + cleans blue prints, Tim Williams (VOD) should be on that list...although, obviously he isn't as well known as the others (I know that you know him). But I mean..lincoln park's fanbase like wouldn't even care about those guys (with the exception of Chino Moreno I guess).

Kyoryu sentai...zyuranga!

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
singers that do shouty/clean vocals had him beat before the get go (Phil Anselmo)

Pantera was a WAY better band than Linkin Park, but Chester was a better vocalist than Anselmo. Although it's an apples & oranges situation to a certain degree.

Fred Durst has some talent

Your opinions on music are null & void.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Pantera was a WAY better band than Linkin Park, but Chester was a better vocalist than Anselmo. Although it's an apples & oranges situation to a certain degree.

Your opinions on music are null & void.
:lolz:

come on though - you say something wacky like Bennington was the better vocalist and then say my opinions are null & void.
Fred Durst was horrible on the ears and his fame bewildered me. but he had talent that can't be denied. as a business man, as a piece of shit. but he had artistic talent, which was marred by the fact that he had a lot of very bad taste. I'm looking at it objectively, I'm not saying I liked what he did, but I can see what he did, and for what it is, as disgusting as most of it was - it's reasonably impressive.
Counterfeit - save for the RATM style guitar lines was a masterpiece of radio rock pop music in it's day. only matched by Faith.
LB have a great guitarist and that is their most potent weapon.

going back to your last point - I'm not trying to oust you - but have you heard Pantera much? because I find it very hard to believe that you could think the Linkin Park kid was anywhere near as good.

please, be my guest, top that.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
You're not giving the power rangers enough credit here.

Also...if we're talking 90's screamed + cleans blue prints, Tim Williams (VOD) should be on that list...although, obviously he isn't as well known as the others (I know that you know him). But I mean..lincoln park's fanbase like wouldn't even care about those guys (with the exception of Chino Moreno I guess).

Kyoryu sentai...zyuranga!

agreed on all counts. whilst I was writing the Power Rangers comparison I felt I was walking into swampy ground.
Power Rangers knew what they where and the campy nature of the show was brilliant and definitely self conscious. Linkin Park seemed to take their saturday morning show opera very seriously.
when JD sung about going insane I believed him - because he was fucked up and the way he expressed it was art. When this silly boy did it, it was just like cowabunga.

edit: man, Visions of Disorder... it's been a thousand years since I heard that beautiful music. putting it on now.

obviously Mike Patton should be on the top of a list of said singers.

Last edited:

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
This thread is about Pantera now? Koll

This guy from Linkin Park had a lot of kids, I feel sorry for them.

I never liked Linkin Park

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
i like Pantera and all, but Linkin Park got radio play. a lot of it.
just sayin.

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
If shitty rock stars keep offing themselves we are only going to have good musicians left.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Phil Anselmo had an amazing voice back in the day, I think during his glam days he had some great melodies going, good range but he got better if only for one album...Cowboys from Hell is a great album tip to toe, the rest not so much but still some songs are good...it turned into slim pickings as time went on.

LinkinPark...meh, to each their own.

fake

15 Year Member
I love "bad" singers. Kyle Bishop and Dustin Kensrue - maybe even Geoff Rickly - can't objectively be called good clean vocalists. Their screamed vocals will knock down a wall, but their sung vocals are rough. And I love that about those vocals. It's all about delivery and the passion, not skill.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I will always favor the skilled vocalist but there some instances where a unique tone goes a long way...but when you have both...oh that's the real deal.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Taylor Swift and Korn.

I CAN SEE
I CAN SEE
I'M GOIN' BLIND
I CAN SEE
I CAN SEE
I'M GOIN' BLIND
I CAN SEE
I CAN SEE
I'M GOIN' BLIND
I CAN SEE
I CAN SEE
I'M GOIN' BLIND
I CAN SEE
I CAN SEE
I'M GOIN' BLIND
I CAN SEE
I CAN SEE
I'M GOIN' BLIND
I CAN SEE
I CAN SEE
I'M GOIN' BLIND
I CAN SEE
I CAN SEE
I'M GOIN'

BLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNND

fake

15 Year Member
Random thought regarding Chester's voice: "Crawling" is the worst song on their first album, but I think it has a good example of his relative skill. At the end of the second verse when he yells "insecure", he does so pretty strongly and holds the note for three measures of 8/8 at about 100 BPM. That's impressive in my book.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
If this is going to be a Pantera thread, then what about Pantera ripping off Exhorder?!

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Dude, I was listening to Exhorder before cowboys from hell came out. Even while Pantera was playing glam, exhorder was already chugging power metal, you know, power metal before all the melodic stuff from Germany was given the name for the genre. I mean, when I was a kid Helloween, Blind Guardian, Virgin Steel all those guys weren't called power metal, it was just Heavy Metal...Power Metal was different, same goes for hardcore...it used to be D.R.I. but then hardcore turned into something else...some screamo stuff, never got too much into it. Metal has always tried so hard to divide itself, I think it's mostly due to the massive discontent for glam or hair metal, or whatever that shit was called.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Random thought regarding Chester's voice: "Crawling" is the worst song on their first album, but I think it has a good example of his relative skill. At the end of the second verse when he yells "insecure", he does so pretty strongly and holds the note for three measures of 8/8 at about 100 BPM. That's impressive in my book.

I think it's actually their tightest song, lol.

fake

15 Year Member
I think it's actually their tightest song, lol.

I re-listened to the album. I think Crawling is just kind of low key compared to the other songs that are more dynamic, by which I mean there are quiet, slow parts, contrasted by fast, more powerful ones. Crawling is basically the same tempo throughout.

I don't like the chorus lyrics, but I think this is the best song on the album:

I like that both the rapper and Chester sound pissed off. The guitar riff is catchy, too.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I re-listened to the album. I think Crawling is just kind of low key compared to the other songs that are more dynamic, by which I mean there are quiet, slow parts, contrasted by fast, more powerful ones. Crawling is basically the same tempo throughout.

I like that both the rapper and Chester sound pissed off. The guitar riff is catchy, too.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt crawling was one of the weaker songs on that album. It's got quality lyrics, but I always preferred the flow and punch of Place for my Head, Pushing Me Away, and Papercut

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member

that's the thing though - I'm not a fan of this band, but - Crawling and Waiting for the End I feel are amongst my favorite songs in the pop rock genre, I would have loved to have written songs like this.
I feel that they are songs that are perfect for what they pretend to be. well crafted, catchy, concise and heartfelt.
I favor melody and Beatles-type songmanship above anything else and those two songs I wouldn't have any trouble having in a mixtape consisting of songs by Fountains of Wayne, Weezer (first 2 albums), George Harrison and The Rolling Stones.
it boils down to taste though - I know it's subjective.

I was very much into bands that where mixing it up back in the 90s. I mean whoever heard Epic as a kid was bound to eat it all up when it all reached it's zenith.

RATM put the bar way up high and with Korn's first 2 albums and Deftone's first 4 - I for one was a pig in muck.

when so many other of these bands started coming up as well (Linkin Park, Crazy Town, Papa Roach, Spineshank etc. etc. etc.) and the whole Family Values thing - it lost it's charm a great deal for me. then the whole post grunge thing that was promoted by the likes of Fred Durst (Puddle of Mud, Three Doors Down, Godsmack (seriously? naming your band after an Alice in Chains song?), Staind), just fucking shit. what a lame time to listen to mainstream rock music.

the only bands I would exclude from this crap would be Cold, only in terms of their first album, for the same reason as I love the 2 songs I mentioned by Linkin Park - I love the songs in terms of what they offer as traditional rock songs.
also Mudvayne, but bands like this and Slipknot where not quite Nu Metal

sorry about the long drwn out post. bottom line - Linkin Park to me represent a genre that started off extremely interesting and creative - becoming formulaic and shallow, which is why I really like the songs that don't sound as much like Linkin Park as the rest

edit: just reread this post and yep, it's horribly written :tickled:

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Yo homefries, I'm loving all the good stuff this thread is providing, great taste in music everyone...

I'm going American Badass on this one, yeah SON, 'MUREEKAAAAH!