I'm too retarded for MAME

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Hey all,

Don't know if this is frowned upon, but if it is one of the mods can delete the thread and smack my peepee.

So I've never been able to run mame. Ever. I backed up all of my everdrives onto my computer and they run in their respective emulators just fine. But no matter what I do with mame, no matter what YouTube video or FAQ I read, it never works for me.

Chat doesn't work as the internet speed here isn't fast enough. I need someone to pm me and assist me on how to install mame. Roms I have, it's running the damn thing. I just want to play some neo, CPS2, and take part in the shmup of the month. If someone can write how to install and run mame and help a brother out, to the point where if I was missing a chromosome I could understand it, I would greatly appreciate it.

For reference. Running Windows 10 64-bit. Downloaded mame 0.187 off of the mame site.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I have no idea how I did it. Years ago I did an install on my Windows 98 computer. It still works. There's only like 1 thing in there tho.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
I also had MAME running BITD with a complete game set but I have never been able to get it going again.

I think the problem is that one must have ROMs that match the version of MAME they are using.

bochi

Cheng's Errand Boy
Well since you downloaded mame .187 you have to make sute that the roms you get are also .187 ver. You have to download the parent rom for example. The parent rom for marvel vs capcom could be the japanese ver. If you want the usa ver. You have to download the parent then the other ver.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Mame is a clusterfuck in terms of finding the right rom dumps for whatever version you are using. Every release they seem to change what is required in the rom file, it is very annoying.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Like everyone said. The Romset version must match the version of Mame you are using. Old chd's work though. I also use Mameui64.

Just search Google for the version of Mameui64 you need and slap the roms in the roms directory.

Just look for a complete set. A full Rom set usually runs 50-60 gbs.

Last edited:

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
I could never get it running either, Geo. Hours of cursing and near success, only to be met with "you must install this, to install this, first install this." When i'd get somethign working, couldn't map buttons, or games would crash. Meh. I've given up on it. I've got enough to play w/o wasting hours on this.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Mame is a clusterfuck in terms of finding the right rom dumps for whatever version you are using. Every release they seem to change what is required in the rom file, it is very annoying.

Not true. Google is your friend. Very easy to find complete sets.

ChuChu Flamingo

10 Year Member
Not true. Google is your friend. Very easy to find complete sets.

Yes I love downloading whole rom sets to play a handful of game. It still doesn't excuse the fact that any other emulator doesn't have this problem.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Yes I love downloading whole rom sets to play a handful of game. It still doesn't excuse the fact that any other emulator doesn't have this problem.

A handful of games? Maybe for you.

And it's free so unless hd space is a issue, who cares.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
no clue if on Windows is different, but on linux and OSX all i have to do to play something is this:

mame -rp /path/to/games/ game

where /path/to/games is the directory where you have the romz and game is the name of the .zip file you want to play. For neogeo you also need a file called neogeo.zip to be in that same directory.

Regards.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Listen, if what you want is to play CPS2, Neo and some shmups, I got the easy way out. Get on fightcade, download the latest fightcade software, head over to our fightcade thread, AJ has tutorials to help you all the way and if you still need help, PM him, he's great at it.

As for mame, romsets can be updated with clearmamepro but if you have a hard time with mame to begin with, then I doubt this tool would be useful to you but anyway, mamegui is the easiest mame to use, I'd stick to that.

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
What are your thoughts on using a Raspberry Pi 3 computer running RetroPie software? Relatively easy to setup. If you want to get more advanced with it you can even buy an add-on board and output RGB to a CRT Monitor. I friggin love mine. Latest MAME I've tried on it is 0.175 though (which is still pretty recent).

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Gave up on mame due to their constant fucking around with what roms are required to run. Why are they even doing this?

toaks

n00b
Hey all,

Don't know if this is frowned upon, but if it is one of the mods can delete the thread and smack my peepee.

So I've never been able to run mame. Ever. I backed up all of my everdrives onto my computer and they run in their respective emulators just fine. But no matter what I do with mame, no matter what YouTube video or FAQ I read, it never works for me.

Chat doesn't work as the internet speed here isn't fast enough. I need someone to pm me and assist me on how to install mame. Roms I have, it's running the damn thing. I just want to play some neo, CPS2, and take part in the shmup of the month. If someone can write how to install and run mame and help a brother out, to the point where if I was missing a chromosome I could understand it, I would greatly appreciate it.

For reference. Running Windows 10 64-bit. Downloaded mame 0.187 off of the mame site.

If you have specific questions I'd be happy to help you. Are you getting a error message when you run a game? You can PM me if you want. If I have some time, I'll try to write up a basic guide for you.

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
Gave up on mame due to their constant fucking around with what roms are required to run. Why are they even doing this?

This is due to stuff being not dumped correctly, or not dumped at all. When people realize this, stuff has to be redone from scratch and verified, thus making the old romset obsolete.

MAME is not a project to make people play games on their PCs, it's a project geared toward gaining information on arcade boards, understanding how they work and trying to reproduce their behavior as close as possible to the original PCB.

It's 2017, I thought people had realized this by now.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
MAME is poorly designed. I heard it uses 3.3v flash in a 5v system.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I read that MAME has made the physical hardware equivalents completely worthless.

ChuChu Flamingo

10 Year Member
This is due to stuff being not dumped correctly, or not dumped at all. When people realize this, stuff has to be redone from scratch and verified, thus making the old romset obsolete.

MAME is not a project to make people play games on their PCs, it's a project geared toward gaining information on arcade boards, understanding how they work and trying to reproduce their behavior as close as possible to the original PCB.

It's 2017, I thought people had realized this by now.

Yes between each revision we have had people constantly redumping games so that they are proper. The reality is they can't decide what files need to be in the rom structure. Also how can we reproduce their behavior if we can't play them? Are the mame developers in the matrix so they don't need to play them?

Cuz fuck playing them, right?

Its better to learn, preserve, and store!

LIFE IS MEANINGLESS OTHERWISE!

Sounds like Byuu who makes higan. Remember when he got sent a package of like 100 euro snes games to get dumped and they got lost for like a month?

His whole point was to make 1:1 copies of the originals done by himself to make sure there were no bit errors but here is the caveat, he is only releasing the MD5 hash of what one should look like. What is the point of that when he has a copy of it.

Last edited:

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Sounds like Byuu who makes higan. Remember when he got sent a package of like 100 euro snes games to get dumped and they got lost for like a month?

His whole point was to make 1:1 copies of the originals done by himself to make sure there were no bit errors but here is the caveat, he is only releasing the MD5 hash of what one should look like. What is the point of that when he has a copy of it.

No idea what you're talking about, homie.

ChuChu Flamingo

10 Year Member
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...after-package-lost-containing-usd10k-of-games

He eventually found them but this happened because the person shipping it thought it would be a good idea to tape two boxes together. The games were wrapped with grocery bag brown paper and label affixed to that paper. Keep in mind this was being shipped to the United States from Germany.

In any case the whole point was to do a 1:1 dump of European SNES games to make sure there weren't any bits corrupted in the rom file.Not sure on the numbers, but in his testing it didn't seem like many dumps online were bad and actually matched what he dumped 1:1. In any case pretty dumb he dumps them but won't release the "corrected" ones. Even more hilarious by the fact I think this is a community effort and the guy sending them is doing it out of good will and for FREE.

Also if anyone plans to help setup others mame I would recommend teamviewer honestly. Pretty decent remote desktop application that doesn't need configuring. Just make sure to hide your gay butt stuff and do it with someone you trust a little.

Last edited: