b-b-b-b-b-but her emails...

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Way, way less than half of the people in this country even voted in the election. Even fewer voted for Trump.

There is no option on the ballot to not bomb brown people.

There is no option on the ballot to stop trying to redraw maps.

There is no option on the ballot to stop spending money we don't have.

The idea that if you convince enough idiots to agree with you, it legitimizes anything you do is the most dangerous notion in the world.

Consider how dumb the average person is.

Now consider that half the people are even dumber than that.

Now tell me why democracy is supposed to work again?

Voting is a worthless waste of time and an implicit endorsement of a system that produces people like Donald Trump.

Sure, that's a nice idea.

Unfortunately there are many countries around the world that have multi party systems, and guess what, with all the choice in the world they elect people in and ask them to do the exact same shit that america does.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
the difference for me is at least pence can be a statesman. while i dont care for his politics at least he wont embarrass us as a people every day.

Pence is embarrassing every American by defending the publication of personal information for all the Americans who complained about the election investigation to the WH.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Pence is embarrassing every American by defending the publication of personal information for all the Americans who complained about the election investigation to the WH.
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H. L. Mencken

Sure, that's a nice idea.

Unfortunately there are many countries around the world that have multi party systems, and guess what, with all the choice in the world they elect people in and ask them to do the exact same shit that america does.

I'm not endorsing a multi party system. I'm saying that it doesn't matter who controls the government because the government is always going to do what it does: hurt people and take their stuff.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I'm not endorsing a multi party system. I'm saying that it doesn't matter who controls the government because the government is always going to do what it does: hurt people and take their stuff.

I know, and I'm saying that they do it because people ask them to do it because they think it's in their interests. I'm saying shout at the people not the voice of the people, it's not as disjointed as you're making out.

The government doesn't speak for you, so you distance yourself. It does, however, speak for a lot of people, enough to give them a functional majority. I understand that a lot of people are dumb, but dumb people wield a club as well as anyone.

I feel I should add - it doesn't speak for me either. I've not won a single damn vote on anything since I hit voting age.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H. L. Mencken

I am more embarrassed for the government that strips itself down to bare nakedness, and leaves the agencies understaffed to perform their duties, all because some rich old dudes don't derive personal benefit.

The staff culling at State has rendered wait times to ridiculously long levels.

The answer for Trump's team is to ban shia muslims, deport hispanics, and allow religious groups to buy government.

Comparatively, I don't think I could be embarrassed about the Obama administration. It had a lot I didn't like, but none of the drone killings can compare to this level of complete ineptitude.

Overall, we have a party that has tried to regulate heavily, and another party that tries to shrink the size of government. Trump's method fails in that it seeks extremes - cut funding to parts of government that his overseers don't like (education, culture, women's health, poverty alleviation), while shifting money to the privatization of government functions (prisons, military, and parochial education).

Traditionally, the GOP would have simply sought to reduce the size of government and thereby it's cost to the people as a whole - this was the winning argument, especially in the years when the Dems controlled and regulations seemed unnecessarily over broad. But in practice, the GOP has never delivered positive results on that promise.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Republicans stake out new and innovative abuses of power, get kicked out, and the Democrats offer shallow reforms to some of the abuses while continuing, and therefore legitimizing, (most of) the rest.

Democrats pioneer forms of social spending, get kicked out, and Republicans offer shallow, regressive tax breaks while redirecting (most of) the new revenue to the military-industrial complex.

This isn't specifically a critique of the surveillance state or military adventurism or government spending. I'm really just bitching about the long-term game of tag.

(Did you guys enjoy Obama's very sober, responsible Disposition Matrix-driven drone wars? Are you still enjoying them now that we've cut the "matrix" part out?)

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Republicans stake out new and innovative abuses of power, get kicked out, and the Democrats offer shallow reforms to some of the abuses while continuing, and therefore legitimizing, (most of) the rest.

Democrats pioneer forms of social spending, get kicked out, and Republicans offer shallow, regressive tax breaks while redirecting (most of) the new revenue to the military-industrial complex.

This isn't specifically a critique of the surveillance state or military adventurism or government spending. I'm really just bitching about the long-term game of tag.

(Did you guys enjoy Obama's very sober, responsible Disposition Matrix-driven drone wars? Are you still enjoying them now that we've cut the "matrix" part out?)

Never supported the drone attacks. Not then, not now. But this current administration being run by AmWay, is a complete farce. Just like AmWay.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Norton, I'm still here. Mostly lurking these days. Like this guy.