Metal Slug 2

wju2004

Armored Scrum Object
Spoke with a good member on here about this board and he thought perhaps it was a revision not listed on MVS scans, but going back through, found one that looks fairly similar that was a boot, but the boot had e-proms where this one does not.

Board 1 seems to match up with what is on MVS Scans, but no showing of this board on their list of known legit board 2s.

Board1.jpgBoard2.jpg

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Edit: NVM i see it now.

Id say its most likely legit and SNK used a CHA256B

Last edited:

wju2004

Armored Scrum Object
Thanks guys. I will scan it in later and send it off to MVS scans to add in as long as they agree.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Actually, now that I look at it on a PC.

This might be a really well done bootleg. I'm pretty sure that PROGBK1 board is not legit, not only is the SNK logo in a font i've not seen before, but there are some errors in the silkscreen. Like the "C3" text being off center.

We've seen bootlegs before which where machine soldered and used OTP roms. I'm thinking this is what this is. Only solid way I can think of to verify, would be to weight the PROG board with the roms. OTP roms are usually heavier than mask roms.

My MS2 PROG board ( Board set 1 ), weights in at 96g.

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
That SNK logo does look unusual, but otherwise the rest of the board checks out. I've never seen a fake SNK board that looks anywhere near that good. I'd most likely chalk it up to another bit of SNK randomness. I'd say this is legit.

wju2004

Armored Scrum Object

This might be a really well done bootleg. I'm pretty sure that PROGBK1 board is not legit, not only is the SNK logo in a font i've not seen before, but there are some errors in the silkscreen. Like the "C3" text being off center.

We've seen bootlegs before which where machine soldered and used OTP roms. I'm thinking this is what this is. Only solid way I can think of to verify, would be to weight the PROG board with the roms. OTP roms are usually heavier than mask roms.

I can check the weight when I get home tomorrow night to be sure, but comparing it on mvs scans, Board 1 seems to match up pretty well. I could be missing something. Two was more my concern. Lol.

If it were to be a boot...someone went to overly extraordinary measures, which I don't see someone doing on a lower end game...even if it was one used to help an arcade owner.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
I can check the weight when I get home tomorrow night to be sure, but comparing it on mvs scans, Board 1 seems to match up pretty well. I could be missing something. Two was more my concern. Lol.

If it were to be a boot...someone went to overly extraordinary measures, which I don't see someone doing on a lower end game...even if it was one used to help an arcade owner.

PROGBK1 is one of the most versatile boards, which is used in many games other than Metal Slug 2. And like I mentioned before, its not the first time we've seen machine soldered bootlegs that where mass produced. So having a bootleg run of PROGBK1 boards is not outside the realm of possibility.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member

Good eye dude - that SNK logo looks janky for sure.

wju2004

Armored Scrum Object
I will weigh it tomorrow once I get home and let you know. Hoping for it to just be an oddity, but time shall tell. If not, be the first surprise of the lot.

madman

So do bootleg boards and OTP chips weigh more or less than OG PCBs and MASK ROMs? What's the point of weighing?

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Is this a joke or something? This is totally legit.

Wish people here would train themselves to look at the contents instead of just comparing to board scans. Your attention is going to the wrong details if you're that worried about the board type SNK used.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
That's an early Metal Slug 2. Most copies use four 64Mbit C ROMs on a CHA512 board.

wju2004

Armored Scrum Object
Is this a joke or something? This is totally legit.

Wish people here would train themselves to look at the contents instead of just comparing to board scans. Your attention is going to the wrong details if you're that worried about the board type SNK used.

I am still learning and fully willing to admit it. I still have plenty to learn of course. Just went by what MVS scans had to offer. If what HMG said is true, then would likely explain the differences.

Thanks guys.

madman

I am still learning and fully willing to admit it. I still have plenty to learn of course. Just went by what MVS scans had to offer. If what HMG said is true, then would likely explain the differences.

Thanks guys.

We told you this in chat. Chat > HMG's posts.

Also, X > 2.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I've been considering making a vid about identifying bootlegs. The one I saw on Youtube literally just said to go look at the scans and offered no further insight.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
I've been considering making a vid about identifying bootlegs. The one I saw on Youtube literally just said to go look at the scans and offered no further insight.

Great idea, I think this would be very helpful. As evidenced in the Boot or No Boot thread, some people obliviously end up with the bootiest of boots.

madman

People won't click on the sticky here to get basic info or look at any of the number of other picture filled posts, I'd be surprised they'll watch a YT vid. A noble effort, but I'm afraid it'd be a waste of your time. Much easier to post a "is dis boot or nuh?" thread than to actually try to learn something.

wju2004

Armored Scrum Object
People won't click on the sticky here to get basic info or look at any of the number of other picture filled posts, I'd be surprised they'll watch a YT vid. A noble effort, but I'm afraid it'd be a waste of your time. Much easier to post a "is dis boot or nuh?" thread than to actually try to learn something.

I'd probably watch at least. So he'd have 1 view. Lol