Thoughts on ACA NEOGEO releases so far?

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Aside from the fact that I'll take any excuse to support the neo brand, I've been using the ACA Arcade Archives releases as an excuse to complete every neogeo title again (or as much of the library as ACA can manage). M2's previous ps3 "neogeo station" was awesome imo, but it is nice to see that ACA has already made a lot of strides in terms of titles released and their selection diversity:

http://www.hamster.co.jp/arcadearchives/title_list_neogeo.htm

I'm sure many are sick of buying fatal fury 1 & kof94 for the 100th time, and it would have been great if the cd versions could have somehow been included (along with online co-op support apart from psn game sharing), but they have managed to release a bunch of titles that usually fly under the radar.

What does everyone think of ACA's efforts so far?

Last edited:

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I like that they're there as an option. It's nice having official releases of some of your Neo favourites on the go on the Switch. I have no interest in buying every release, or older games that I'm unlikely to play, like the ones you mentioned. I'm happy to support them by buying some games I know I'll play over and over again, like Shock Troopers or the Metal Slugs.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Shame there is no online play compared to the station games

I agree put more obscure releases out there, I've really enjoyed revisiting Overtop for example, I'd love to see Driftout come out for it

I've been downloading most of them, I've enjoyed caravan and high score mode, I start with caravan mode to get my best score in the 5 min, then I move over to high score mode, I've tried to crack the top three US players list in the games I've played particularly in caravan mode, so I've enjoyed trying to meet that goal, that's given me something to shoot for, I've seen your name listed in the top scores Blackaneseninja!

Last edited:

Hashrate

n00b
Shame there is no online play compared to the station games...

Wait, there isnt an online mode for these? I have been thinking of getting a bunch of the Nintendo Switch releases because I thought that would be an awesome way to play these old games online with others. Guess not :(

julencin2000

Dodgeball Yakuza
I'm very happy to have Last Resort and Blazing Star in my system, I'm only missing a compatible stick.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
The lack of online play is a bummr for sure

johhnnyD14

Hardened Shock Trooper
Being able to play Neo Turf Masters in 2 player on the go was enough reason to make me get a Switch. That and the other games.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I grabbed turfies with high expectations but was met with the same ol' same pixel distortion. No online play is an absolute bummer, also the PS3 releases were poor as well, the online aspect kept them afloat but excellent ports they're not. The sole reason this is good is 'cause of the reason above, playing Turfies on the go with a friend, road trips can be fun with turfies by your side. Gameplay is all there so at least they got that ok. This ACA releases are meh, a step down from the PS3 ones with lack of multiplayer online.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Hamster again. Not a brand I'd trust. Anyway, NTM on the Switch was quite laggy. Were there any updates to correct that?

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
I like the idea, not so much the execution. Not everyone can be M2, although the Neo certainly deserves their caliber.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
... I've played particularly in caravan mode, so I've enjoyed trying to meet that goal, that's given me something to shoot for, I've seen your name listed in the top scores Blackaneseninja!

Yeah caravan mode has been a blast! :buttrock: If you're on psn we gotta hit up some co-op though i'm not sure how laggy the shareplay option is but it'd be worth a shot.

I grabbed turfies with high expectations but was met with the same ol' same pixel distortion. No online play is an absolute bummer, also the PS3 releases were poor as well, the online aspect kept them afloat but excellent ports they're not. The sole reason this is good is 'cause of the reason above, playing Turfies on the go with a friend, road trips can be fun with turfies by your side. Gameplay is all there so at least they got that ok. This ACA releases are meh, a step down from the PS3 ones with lack of multiplayer online.

Sup EG! I agree that none of the console emulation options have been perfect: Wii VC, M2 or ACA. Nothing beats the real deal, but I definitely preferred M2's approach out of the three. M2's online and additional options was a nice touch. I know much source code is rumored lost, but I'd like to see NGH64 and NGCD exclusives re-released somehow too.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Sup Ninja! It is a decent port, just not all it can be given the previous efforts. I was hoping we could keep taking steps forward in this.

Hamster again. Not a brand I'd trust. Anyway, NTM on the Switch was quite laggy. Were there any updates to correct that?

I don't think it's laggy, at all. Are you experiencing this docked or as a handheld? Could be delay on the TV screen, not the handheld and that's more to do with the TV than the actual port.

Last edited:

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Overall, I like them. The pros are they've been releasing them quickly and with more diversity than any past Neo Geo port release schedule. They also fixed the problems with the Switch versions fairly quickly. The cons are they feel barebones as fuck compared to the Neo Geo Station. The Neo Geo Station releases were amazing.

Last edited:

acampero

Quiz Detective
No online??
Not even planned when the Switch get's it's online service officially rolled out??

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
No online??
Not even planned when the Switch get's it's online service officially rolled out??

I wish, but there's been no word yet. Only select psn releases like Garou MotW, Last Blade 2, and the upcoming Windjammers release have full online multiplayer support so far. Even if ACA doesn't add a full online multiplayer option for the switch, hopefully other neo titles will be made available that do.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I don't think it's a matter of "there's been no word" ACA releases were not meant to have online service.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
I wish, but there's been no word yet. Only select psn releases like Garou MotW, Last Blade 2, and the upcoming Windjammers release have full online multiplayer support so far. Even if ACA doesn't add a full online multiplayer option for the switch, hopefully other neo titles will be made available that do.

SSVS will have online I believe

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I don't think it's a matter of "there's been no word" ACA releases were not meant to have online service.

True, which is a shame. The aca online score leaderboard functionality is nice, but online multiplayer would have gone a long way towards bringing many of these classics to a new audience.

Playing on my cabs/real hardware is always ideal, but distance and shifting schedules mean that local co-op isn't always possible. Was really looking foward to jamming out online via co-op on shock troopers, nam-1975, metal slug, sengoku 2, etc. Oh well, maybe next time.

SSVS will have online I believe

Good call egg_sanwhich! I didn't even think to include that one too.

Last edited:

acampero

Quiz Detective

That's really a shame seeing as the Switch is a new console and it would have been nice for Nintendo and the games released on this platform to right the ship so to speak with strong online. I will go for it regardless and just do some local play.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
So are these better than the DotEmu turds on Steam and whatnot?

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Nah but I hear they're trash.

acampero

Quiz Detective
I bought KOF 98, Metal Slug and Neo Turf this weekend. It was really fun to play with my son on our downstairs LCD tv without having to mess with a framemeister. Don't get me wrong original hardware is always preferred, but for something quick and down and dirty we got our fix in.

So from a convenience stand point it was great to be able to take it in the car and play on the road and then come home and dock it. The joy cons suck for KOF. Maybe time to invest in the Pro Controller. Anyone play with one of those controllers with these ports?