Converting empty MVS boards to full games

NexusX

Astra Superstar
Can anyone point me to the location of the newest version of the "Ironclad" rom plz? I read there is lots of versions of it out there and some of them have a glitchy title screen and spanish language. I just wanted to get the correct version.

If anyone has, or can point me to the location via a pm please let me know. Thanks

Also I think I found out which jumper settings to use on the PROBK1 board, but not 100% sure what jumper settings to use on the 512y board. If anyone knows please let me know.

If you end up making an Ironclad copy out of those boards what is your expected cost for that conversion in terms of materials and time?

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
If you end up making an Ironclad copy out of those boards what is your expected cost for that conversion in terms of materials and time?

hit up bustedstr8 and see if he's still making them.

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,
Can anyone point me to the location of the newest version of the "Ironclad" rom plz? I read there is lots of versions of it out there and some of them have a glitchy title screen and spanish language. I just wanted to get the correct version.

If anyone has, or can point me to the location via a pm please let me know. Thanks

Also I think I found out which jumper settings to use on the PROBK1 board, but not 100% sure what jumper settings to use on the 512y board. If anyone knows please let me know.

Cha512 jumpers for Ironclad would be J2, J3, J5, J6, JG1 and JG2 thats using 27C322.

Ballpark on making a cart is two hours labor plus $35 for eproms, plus about $25 for a sac cart that can hold 32Mbit chips.

Pm me and I can get the last version P1 file for ya.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Double Dragon can be a match for Ironclad. See the board scans.

Broomfield

New Challenger
Update:

I burnt the all the roms except I've come across the V1 rom file. its labelled "proto_220-v1" and the size is "4.096kb".

Someone mentioned I needed to split the V1 into two files, so I can use them on the PROGBK1 board. Or can I just burn the V1 rom on a M27C322?

If I do need to split the V1, whats the best way and what size would I need to split the file into? to burn them to two m27c160? Also does someone have the best Ironclad "P1 rom" without the flickering etc, please if someone could help or let me know where I can get.

thanks

Last edited:

NexusX

Astra Superstar
Update:

I burnt the all the roms except I've come across the V1 rom file. its labelled "proto_220-v1" and the size is "4.096kb".

Someone mentioned I needed to split the V1 into two files, so I can use them on the PROGBK1 board. Or can I just burn the V1 rom on a M27C322?

If I do need to split the V1, whats the best way and what size would I need to split the file into? to burn them to two m27c160? Also does someone have the best Ironclad "P1 rom" without the flickering etc, please if someone could help or let me know where I can get.

thanks

I am not familiar with the variety of ROM versions for this game but I was reading up on it and I came across a statment that the "prototype" ROM and "Wii" ROM files were different. Primarily that the Wii rip version has music where the proto one does not. Is there any validity to this information?

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
"Prototype" and "Wii rip" are pretty much the same thing in this case. The Ironclad builds with no music are the old Neo Geo CD conversions.

The problem with the Wii rip is when it was first recovered, it wasn't optimized for original Neo Geo hardware. There's been a few different fixed P1 ROMs circulating the internet that up the brightness and change the default language from Spanish to English.

Broomfield

New Challenger
I managed to split the V rom into x2 2048 files and burnt them to 2 "m27c160's", I changed the jumper settings (correctly I think) to what was seen on mvs scans website for the PROGBK1 board and then what was mentioned to on this thread for the 512Y board.

I used

PROGBK1 board:
m27c160 for V1, V2 P1

CHA 512Y board:
m27c322 for the C roms
m27c101A for the M1
m26c1000 for the S1

I tested the cart out but the game refused to boot, it just displays black and white pixels on screen. Wont even display the neogeo logo bootup or the crosshatch screen. I tested it on x2 mvs 1 slot boards and get the same result. I've uploaded some pics on the board with the roms inserted and the jumpers changed. If anyone can see anything wrong with the picture, jumper settings or anything I need to change please let me know.

1.jpg2.jpg

Last edited:

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Check the connections to the P rom. You only need that to be able to boot.

Broomfield

New Challenger
Check the connections to the P rom. You only need that to be able to boot.

Thanks for the suggestion, I double checked connections but all the soldering seems solid, could it be the jumper settings are not right?

When I attempt to boot the cart, all I get is a black and white garbage screen and a clicking noise.

Broomfield

New Challenger
another update, I managed to get the cart to boot. All the sounds effect and music sound ok, (but you cant see anything)

It also dosent display the neogeo logo on bootup, the only thing that actually displays ok is the FBI warning the start. When the game actually loads all you can see a purple screen. (see below) with the music and sound effects playing over it. I also tried the unibios to do a crc check on the cart but it just displays a black screen when I enter the crc check screen.

Anyone know what could be the problem?

iron.jpg

Last edited:

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
FBI warning is the FIX layer, so the S rom is fine. That said, if the CRC screen turns black then maybe not entirely so.

You're missing all C ROM data. The checksum only checks the CPU ROM (maybe M ROM too) so it wouldn't help you anyway.

Broomfield

New Challenger
FBI warning is the FIX layer, so the S rom is fine. That said, if the CRC screen turns black then maybe not entirely so.

You're missing all C ROM data. The checksum only checks the CPU ROM (maybe M ROM too) so it wouldn't help you anyway.

Could the jumper settings on the CHA512Y board be wrong? thats why it isnt seeing the C roms?

Broomfield

New Challenger
I'm kinda at the end of the line, I think I will have to end up throwing the neogeo boards away as I just cannot find any information regarding the correct Ironclad romset or jumper settings.

Can someone please link me (via a pm) a good known working Ironclad rom (not the unfixed spanish version) I can use for the boards, I'm going to try and give it one last go before I have to throw the boards away.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member

Rom1

n00b
You have a problem with your C ROM.
Try to reconfigure jumper like this: set ON J3,J2,J7,J8,JG1,JG2,JG3,JG4 and other OFF.

Regarding french forum and registration: i had to contact xROTx by mail for him to not reject my registration so, i think eveyrone might be the same...

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Regarding french forum and registration: i had to contact xROTx by mail for him to not reject my registration so, i think eveyrone might be the same...

Hahahaha

Broomfield

New Challenger
update:

I think I pinned down what the problem is, the S1 rom which is on a "ST M27C1000". I took out the S1 rom from a friends ironclad cart and tried it and it worked. So the problem is definitely with the S1 rom.

The big problem is I cannot burn the S1 correctly onto the m27c1000 using the TOP3100.

Can anyone tell me which type of m27c1000 I need to use, or if I can use an easier substitute chip? Or where I can get the correct m27c1000 from?

Last edited:

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Depends how clean you want it to look, but you can just burn it to a m27c1001 and then swap pins 2 and 24 when you solder it in (lift those 2 pins out and solder jumpers around). That's the only difference between those 2 chips.

Or you can just have someone burn you the m27c1000 if you want it to look cleaner. I've never had luck burning those on a TOP even if I did the pin swap with an adapter. I personally just burn a 27c1001 and swap pins 2/24 when I solder it in.

Oh shit edit: ALSO!! topwin won't load one rom right. It's either s1 or m1... I can't remember which but it tries to load it as a different file type. I think it is the s1... I burned a blank one on accident thanks to this. RENAME the file whatever.s1 to whatevers1.bin and top will load it right. Otherwise it tries to load it as a .s file or something and you end up with a blank buffer.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
I swapped the pins while burning by bending the pins up and soldering on jumper wires. So I was able to solder it in to the board pin for pin.

Broomfield

New Challenger
thanks for the information.

I did try to swap the pin 2 and 24 with wires, then tried to write but still TOP3100 gives me error message.