Suggestions for a newbie a.k.a help the Newb

So I have a dream of my own arcade machine since 2009 when I first joined. I drooled over everyone's pictures of their cabs. And envied the individuals in every east coast group buy I saw. But I had to focus on getting my family right, and eventually starting my own family.

And a few weeks ago my wife asked me: What would I like as a gift? And I told her a candy cab! Of course she didn't know what I meant. But I told her don't worry about it and to not get me anything. But I see that now is the time finally for me to go after what I want. I have consoles out the wazoo enjoyed by me and my daughter and sometimes wife. But I always go back to my arcade stick and load up either Street Fighter, Last Blade, or a shmup.

So where do you guys suggest I start, for right now I would like a vewlix cab, or even a clone of a vewlix. They seem the most accessible as in finding. (Really want a Egret 29!!) But that's down the road. Any suggestions on how I should go about things and expectations?

thermaltreasure

Ninja Combat Warrior
Whilst I've dabbled in consoles and superguns, I've never owned a cab either. In this day and age, I would most probably settle for a Viewlix out of convenience. If you have a lot of HD home consoles sitting around then you could lob them inside it.

An Egret or Neo candy would be the dream but it's the monitor woes that put me off these days. I just haven't got the patience to tinker with old boards and screens and the cabs themselves don't seem to appear for sale often in my neck of the woods.

If you do settle on a cab with a CRT, have a look out for groovymame, it's fantastic. Good luck!

acblunden2

Rugal's Thug
I am fairly new to the hobby, so I can offer some guidance. If you really want a Viewlix, you'll have to commit to the expense and pain of arranging for one to be shipped to you. This commit is going to be around $2000-$3000. That is a pretty big expense for someone that just started a family. Don't bother looking for a deal on a Viewlix, unless you are immortal. Seems the most reputable importer of these cabs is a guy named KC (kcarcadegame@sbcglobal.net). You can reach out to him for help.

Good luck man. Let us know how it goes. Good to ween those kids into gaming with arcades, requires real in-person social interaction.

Last edited:

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I would scour craigslist, klov, forums, and see what you can get. Not sure what cabs go for in your neck of the woods, but do some research. The dream candy cab might take a while to find. You might want to purchase any good condition arcade machine locally, see how you like it and how much play time it gets. Then wait until something cooler pops up.

If money is no issue then I would agree on getting something like a vewlix, since it will mean less headaches down the road, especially if you are not the tinkering type.

godzilla43

Geese's Thug
So I have a dream of my own arcade machine since 2009 when I first joined. I drooled over everyone's pictures of their cabs. And envied the individuals in every east coast group buy I saw. But I had to focus on getting my family right, and eventually starting my own family.

And a few weeks ago my wife asked me: What would I like as a gift? And I told her a candy cab! Of course she didn't know what I meant. But I told her don't worry about it and to not get me anything. But I see that now is the time finally for me to go after what I want. I have consoles out the wazoo enjoyed by me and my daughter and sometimes wife. But I always go back to my arcade stick and load up either Street Fighter, Last Blade, or a shmup.

So where do you guys suggest I start, for right now I would like a vewlix cab, or even a clone of a vewlix. They seem the most accessible as in finding. (Really want a Egret 29!!) But that's down the road. Any suggestions on how I should go about things and expectations?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_9znGrDkUY
Maybe that place still sells candy cabinets but probably you will find candy cabinet much cheaper in Klov. Also I would not spend over 1000$ for candy cabinet.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I wouldn't mind the tinkering actually, since my career is computers. I did see a okbaby on craigslist in my area a while back. But like most of you said I really just want my street fighter and classic shmups in a cab. So I might go for the vewlix or chewlix cab, maybe I will get lucky and find a east coast group buy. But at this point i may be willing to wait 2 months and save up the 3000 if I need to. Cars paid off, no serious bills, and the kid is far away from college. Plus I really need a man cave, even if its just a mini fridge and a arcade cab in a corner of the basement. I can't take anymore love and hip hop shows and rupauls drag race.

acblunden2

Rugal's Thug
If you're dead set on the Viewlix, CL isn't your place. You'll need to work with an importer. But I am looking at the arcade schwag available in your area and there are things I would swoop up.

Here is a Capcom Gen 1 Big Blue. That is a decent price for that cab. It would be an outstanding price if that cab had an SF game in it. But if you can get the seller to agree to $300-ish, I'd go for it.

I see that OKBaby too. I'd pass on that because it would need a new CP pusing the price over $1000. For that much, you should get a candy cab with a 27" monitor.

If you want to roll up your sleeves with your first cab. Here is a bare Big Red.

Good luck man! Keep us posted.

I am looking at the okbaby, and I don't think I would have to get a new cp maybe just a new overlay. The owner said the original cp is under the trakcball setup with 2p 6 buttons. And I think I would be able to bring the price down on the okbaby because its been there for half a year almost. Again thank everyone for the advice, I am really going to do my research and think about my options.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
You should post a WTB in the Market here.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
...an PM Rot while you're at it, he's got the hook ups for candiruland candi cabs! Best of luck and welcome!

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
VanillaThunder rotates through cabinets, shoot him a PM

JohnnyFever

Mr. Big's Thug
Matsu, although on the west coast, is a legit guy selling only the best cabs. I know the shipping can be substantial, but he packs them well and it will arrive in great shape. A little expense now will save you headaches in the future. In fact, we've been posting a lot about Matsu lately. Do a search and get in contact with him. You'll be satisfied in the end.

Last edited: