What do you generally use to clean the contacts on your cartridges?

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Out of curiosity, I've been reading some how-tos online, and I was surprised to see some people recommending isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol, which I always thought was a big no-no (my old instruction manuals always said not to use solvents of any kind on the contacts).

I've also read some people championing Brasso metal polish, which I've never tried, but that does seem promising.

Pencil erasers was another surprising one I saw and tried, and it worked fairly well on minor build-up, although you have to be careful to clean up the little eraser bits afterwards so you don't get any of those into your console/handheld.

Spit on Kleenex (and then wiped dry immediately afterwards) has always been my lazy, go-to solution since I was a kid.

What do you usually use and what do you recommend avoiding?

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I always used alcohol and q tips.

Brasso is a no no. Although it makes the contacts shiny at the moment, the sheen will fade and the polish will gunk up, making the contacts dirtier.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Deoxit is a good one as well.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
The rubbing alchohol should be fine. It will evaporate quickly so you don't have to worry about it eating anything. of course, it will do that if you bath the thing in it.

Contact Cleaner would be the ideal thing to use.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
I use rubbing alcohol and q-tip for 95% of contact cleaning. I hear people say it's not ideal to use it - but it's easy and i've had good luck with it.

For tougher items, I use alcohol first to get rid of most and then deoxit. Deoxit is expensive, but worth it. It's brought back carts that were listed on ebay as "not working - i've already cleaned contacts - as-is." Q-tip w/alcohol, dry, q-tip w/deoxit, fire it up and good to go.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Deoxit D-series, electronic contact cleaner, white art eraser, rubbing alcohol are my go to cleaning things. Just make sure when you clean with Deoxit you wipe it off after it is on with rubbing alcohol, as it leaves a sticky film. This is assuming you open the cartridges as you can see what you're cleaning and do a better job cleaning the pins.

Last edited:

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
The key to Brasso is in only using a dab per side, then finishing it off after the rub with isopropyl to eliminate residue. I've got carts that I cleaned this way years ago, and the contacts still look brand new now.

Sypth

Mr. Big's Thug
The key to Brasso is in only using a dab per side, then finishing it off after the rub with isopropyl to eliminate residue. I've got carts that I cleaned this way years ago, and the contacts still look brand new now.
I do exactly this, I've used brasso for years and have never had an issue.

FBX

Quiz Detective
I polish cart leads with a 2-inch pink eraser, then follow up with qtips dipped in rubbing alcohol. It has always worked for me.

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
Spit on Kleenex (and then wiped dry immediately afterwards) has always been my lazy, go-to solution since I was a kid.

What do you usually use and what do you recommend avoiding?

I'd recommend avoiding spit on Kleenex. Who the hell does that?

+1 for Brasso. It works really well on stubborn or downright filthy carts. I usually give the contacts a good scrub, wipe off with a clean cloth, then clean again with alcohol to remove any residue.

In most cases tho, I use a white eraser followed by alcohol. I typically only use the Brasso when the contacts are in real rough shape.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I used to always use distilled water, but now I use Deoxit.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
For me the go to duo is alcohol on a q-tip and an eraser. I rarely have to clean the contacts, but when I do, it's this combo. Sometimes only alcohol and a clean wipe afterwards, if I know it can be oils causing the problem.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I use QD Contact Cleaner + Q-Tips or terry cloth. Weiman Glass Cooktop Cleaner if heavy duty cleaning is required, then the contact cleaner to remove residue.

Isopropyl is aight but you are cleaning contacts here so why not use contact cleaner.

I recommend avoiding spit on Kleenex :keke:

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I use a very hard/sturdy eraser(nothing that will scratch the contacts or leave a lot of residue behind) and q-tips which is usually enough.Sometimes a tougher job may call for 91% Isopropyl alcolhol. That's it.
BB

Last edited:

MackAttack

n00b
I use canned air or a soft brush to wipe away any debris or dust, then hit the board with some distilled water and a tooth brush for crappy spots, and then after it has dried I follow up with some contact cleaner. QD Contact Cleaner is good or Deoxit like was mentioned before. Just make sure they don't leave any residue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro