Thread: What do you generally use to clean the contacts on your cartridges?

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy

What do you generally use to clean the contacts on your cartridges?

Out of curiosity, I've been reading some how-tos online, and I was surprised to see some people recommending isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol, which I always thought was a big no-no (my old instruction manuals always said not to use solvents of any kind on the contacts).

I've also read some people championing Brasso metal polish, which I've never tried, but that does seem promising.

Pencil erasers was another surprising one I saw and tried, and it worked fairly well on minor build-up, although you have to be careful to clean up the little eraser bits afterwards so you don't get any of those into your console/handheld.

Spit on Kleenex (and then wiped dry immediately afterwards) has always been my lazy, go-to solution since I was a kid.

What do you usually use and what do you recommend avoiding?
    "I realized when I became a reformed alcoholic that, hey, I'm still the same asshole, I just have fewer dents in my car."
    - Robin Williams

Yamazaki's Pupil

I always used alcohol and q tips.

Brasso is a no no. Although it makes the contacts shiny at the moment, the sheen will fade and the polish will gunk up, making the contacts dirtier.
    "I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul."
    3DS Friend code: 4811-7358-8350

Quote Originally Posted by ObeyMyEgo View Post
    ggallegos1 Is a cock sucking faggot. That is all.

Formerly Raz_Hoe.

Deoxit is a good one as well.

赤裸裸的汽車人

The rubbing alchohol should be fine. It will evaporate quickly so you don't have to worry about it eating anything. of course, it will do that if you bath the thing in it.

Contact Cleaner would be the ideal thing to use.
    Official Chat: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/misc.php?do=flashchat

dude, you're awful at this, you didn't even tried.

Critical Damage!

I use rubbing alcohol and q-tip for 95% of contact cleaning. I hear people say it's not ideal to use it - but it's easy and i've had good luck with it.

For tougher items, I use alcohol first to get rid of most and then deoxit. Deoxit is expensive, but worth it. It's brought back carts that were listed on ebay as "not working - i've already cleaned contacts - as-is." Q-tip w/alcohol, dry, q-tip w/deoxit, fire it up and good to go.
    Rare PROTO HUNTER; Looking For: Jak and Daxter, New Zealand Story (original build only), Ratchet and Clank 2, Tak and the Power of the JuJu

Paying 4 figures + for any of the above.

Found in 2017: Recalhorn, Dr. Yam Yam, Sunday Fundy

We have purposely
    trained him wrong
    ...as a joke.

Deoxit D-series, electronic contact cleaner, white art eraser, rubbing alcohol are my go to cleaning things. Just make sure when you clean with Deoxit you wipe it off after it is on with rubbing alcohol, as it leaves a sticky film. This is assuming you open the cartridges as you can see what you're cleaning and do a better job cleaning the pins.
    Last edited by ChuChu Flamingo; 06-26-2017 at 03:43 PM.

he spends hundreds on scarves, of course he's a fag and then ChuChu Flamingo preserved the aftermath in a plastic case making sure it wasn't exposed to unstable air
    You're just upset that you're too goddam stupid to understand the games and whiff infinites.

Crazed MVS Addict

Contact cleaner on the rough stuff, and a soft pink eraser for everything else....

The key to Brasso is in only using a dab per side, then finishing it off after the rub with isopropyl to eliminate residue. I've got carts that I cleaned this way years ago, and the contacts still look brand new now.

Crossed Swords Squire

Quote Originally Posted by Renmauzo View Post
    The key to Brasso is in only using a dab per side, then finishing it off after the rub with isopropyl to eliminate residue. I've got carts that I cleaned this way years ago, and the contacts still look brand new now.
    I do exactly this, I've used brasso for years and have never had an issue.

Lazy SNK Employee

I polish cart leads with a 2-inch pink eraser, then follow up with qtips dipped in rubbing alcohol. It has always worked for me.

NEST Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by M View Post
    Spit on Kleenex (and then wiped dry immediately afterwards) has always been my lazy, go-to solution since I was a kid.

What do you usually use and what do you recommend avoiding?
    I'd recommend avoiding spit on Kleenex. Who the hell does that?

+1 for Brasso. It works really well on stubborn or downright filthy carts. I usually give the contacts a good scrub, wipe off with a clean cloth, then clean again with alcohol to remove any residue.

In most cases tho, I use a white eraser followed by alcohol. I typically only use the Brasso when the contacts are in real rough shape.

I used to always use distilled water, but now I use Deoxit.

King's Dry Cleaner

For me the go to duo is alcohol on a q-tip and an eraser. I rarely have to clean the contacts, but when I do, it's this combo. Sometimes only alcohol and a clean wipe afterwards, if I know it can be oils causing the problem.

Chang's Grocer

I use QD Contact Cleaner + Q-Tips or terry cloth. Weiman Glass Cooktop Cleaner if heavy duty cleaning is required, then the contact cleaner to remove residue.

Isopropyl is aight but you are cleaning contacts here so why not use contact cleaner.

I recommend avoiding spit on Kleenex

SHOCKbox Developer
    I use a very hard/sturdy eraser(nothing that will scratch the contacts or leave a lot of residue behind) and q-tips which is usually enough.Sometimes a tougher job may call for 91% Isopropyl alcolhol. That's it.
    BB
    Last edited by BIG BEAR; 08-13-2017 at 09:59 PM.
    In case of 'PM BOX FULL ANXIETY' , E-MAIL ME

bigbearatnetreach.net replace "at" with an "@"

I'd like to sincerely THANK everybody that supported SHOCKbox over the 8 - 9 years I did it.
    is stocking the SHOCKbox right now!! They also have a huge library of SHOCKbox inserts for DL and or printing.
    LE GEEK SHOCKbox inserts

I'm not protecting myself from you....I'M PROTECTING YOU FROM ME.
    SKYWAY PRO Keep this a secret!

Krauser's Shoe Shiner

Q-tips and alcohol are my best friend.

US Neo Geo AES system: serial #015732

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shipwreck_00 View Post
    Q-tips and alcohol are my best friend.
    same here. 90%+

Timid Neo Newbie

What do you generally use to clean the contacts on your cartridges?

I use canned air or a soft brush to wipe away any debris or dust, then hit the board with some distilled water and a tooth brush for crappy spots, and then after it has dried I follow up with some contact cleaner. QD Contact Cleaner is good or Deoxit like was mentioned before. Just make sure they don't leave any residue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

schnuth is one
    DUMBASS username.

I use my hot tears of shame.

Thread Information