SNES mini classic

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
This is why I decided not to install the Starfox series bro. I thought you didn't like it and would rather have some other games installed instead. Let me know if you need someone to hack that Snes moe, it's no hassle for me, not to mention that a kitten dies everytime Nintendo sells a Snes mini without Turtles in Time :hammer:

haha, oh yeah the Starfox games were by no means necessary - I would have bought the Classic SNES even if you included them in the mod :)

And my recollection was correct...I am not too crazy about Starfox 2. Wasn't back then and still am not :) Starfox 1 is good, but has not aged as well as some other of the SNES games...and certainly not as well as Starfox 64.

Hehehe, I may take you up on your offer though in a little while though, hmm... :)

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Rumor is...there some sort of licensing issue with TMNT...

On topic, I'll be hacking the thing once I get some of the romz.

TMNT license was Konami, then went to UbiSoft. Lately either Activision or Nickelodeon have been developing and publishing the games.

The SNES game has Konami branding on it and whoever controls it now probably doesn't want to allow a game out with someone else's name on it so it's just going to rot unless it gets hacked.
Or Konami pays another third party to let them sell their old game.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
TMNT license was Konami, then went to UbiSoft. Lately either Activision or Nickelodeon have been developing and publishing the games.

The SNES game has Konami branding on it and whoever controls it now probably doesn't want to allow a game out with someone else's name on it so it's just going to rot unless it gets hacked.
Or Konami pays another third party to let them sell their old game.

I doubt it is that. THere have been TMNT re-rerelases in the past 10 years or so.

My guess is that whatever Nintendo was paying to the publishers per title wasn't enough to cover the money that would have to go to the TMNT people.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
I'm loving the SNES classic, hacked I've actually finished games I've been trying to pay for decades bc of that suspend mode. The boxart is nice too.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I just hacked my unit using Hackchi v2.21d. The install was pretty straight forward, everything loaded perfectly, all the games I wanted are there and work flawlessly. The only real issue I had was getting the actual console to sync with the software. Plugging it in, holding RESET and then hitting PWR was causing it to fail to power up. I had to plug it in to USB, hit PWR, turn off the power, then do the RESET + PWR thing. Even then, the power light didn't come on the unit for a while.

This thing with stock OS/Games was a nice little package for the $$...hacked, the unit is a flat out home run. I only put some 70 games on it, uploading a bunch of shovel-ware wasn't something I was interested in.

I'm going to spend some time with the thing and see if it all took, but my random, over lunch break testing showed everything was working ok.

One last thing...the controller back-to-menu button combo. Just in case you didn't know (like is didn't), on stock settings, you have to press and HOLD down + SEL for a few seconds. Simply pressing them quickly (like you'd do on the Retron) doesn't do anything. This drove me nuts for a few min.

Last edited:

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Got my SFC mini the other day, thanks Turfy, and fired it up tonight. Played a little SMW and all seems pretty cool. Gonna hack it later. Doesn't seem like I'm gonna add 50 games though, what is everyone adding? Of the top of my head:

TMNT
Mario All-Stars
R-types
Gradius
Bomberman(s)
Chrono Trigger
DKC 2 & 3
Megaman Xs

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Thanks to MySoberCompanion, I got the Euro SNES Mini. Even with the exorbitant shipping, the final cost is still well below scalper prices around here.

Anyway, I am going to hackchi it soon since it is missing most of my favorite games. Star Fox 2 sucks btw, not surprising why they shit can it back in the day.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Got my SFC mini the other day, thanks Turfy, and fired it up tonight. Played a little SMW and all seems pretty cool. Gonna hack it later. Doesn't seem like I'm gonna add 50 games though, what is everyone adding? Of the top of my head:

TMNT
Mario All-Stars
R-types
Gradius
Bomberman(s)
Chrono Trigger
DKC 2 & 3
Megaman Xs

I'd also add these if I had one:

Adventures of Batman & Robin
Axelay
Bust a Move
Castlevania Dracula X
Cybernator
Demon's Crest
Do-Re-Mi Fantasy
Final Fight (all 3)
Firemen
Front Mission Gun Hazard
Gundam Wing Endless Duel
Hagane
hammerin' Harry
Humiara Kawase
Killer Instinct
Lost Vikings
Ninja Warriors
Macross Scrambled Valkyrie
Magical Pop'n
Majuu Ou
Metal Warriors
Metroid Super Zero Mission (hack)
Mortal Kombat 2
Mystical Ninja / Goemon (all 4)
Parodius (all 3)
Pocky & Rocky 1 & 2
Pop'n Twinbee
Randering Ranger R2
Rockman & Forte
Run Saber
Sanrio World Smash Ball
SD The Great Battle IV
Skyblazer
Space Megaforce
Sparkster
Super Genjin 2
Super Puyo Puyo 2 Remix
Super Turrican 1 & 2
Sunset Riders
U.N. Squadron
Violinist of Hamelin
Wild Guns
Zombies Ate My Neighbors

That all I can think of for now but I'm sure there's more, especially if you're into RPGs.

godzilla43

Geese's Thug
R-type 3 yes

with R-type,Gradius and Star fox games would be good if there would be a overclocked snes emu for snes mini but maybe that would fuck up the music :/

with Final Fights the 1 is okay rest are bad and CPS1 games work in Snes mini so that is better way to go. Same with Bust A move. Dracula X no. Firemen no. Killer Instict and MK2 no. Sunset Riders no. Never heard of Sanrio World Smash Ball! does not look really great game but maybe it is.
I would add Magical Quest games, Smash TV and Spankys Quest.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

TMNT
Mario All-Stars
R-types
Gradius
Bomberman(s)
Chrono Trigger
DKC 2 & 3
Megaman Xs

You asked for it...

Super Mario World
Mario Kart
Mario All-Stars
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy 4 (10th ann hack)
Final Fantasy III
Chrono Trigger
Earthbound
Contra III
Castlevania IV
Dracula X
Demon's Quest
Final Fight Guy, 2, 3
TMNT
Donkey Kong Country (1-3)
Aexlay
Actraiser
Bomber Man 1-5 (BTW...4 and 5 suck a big one)
Super Punch Out
Super Matroid
Zelda LttP
Batman Returns
Bust a Move (god, this one sucks compared to the Neo game)
Earthworm Jim
F-Zero
Joe & Mac
Lufia (1, 2)
Magical Quest
Mega Man X, X2, 7
Ninja Gaiden Trilogy
Shadowrun
Soul Blazer
Sunset Riders
Wild Guns
Y's III
Zombies ate my Neighbors
Battletoads & Double Dragon
Legend of the Mystical Ninja
Micro Machines
Pocky & Rocky (1, 2)
Strike Gunner STG
Super Bowling

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Can't Wait to add Mortal Kombat, Art of Fighting and Samurai Shodown.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I never understood why people like to play way inferior ports of certain games on consoles. I understand if the game is very close to the arcade version or there is something different in a good way. I remember back in the days playing Samurai Shodown 3 blades of blood on the ps1. I loved that game but only played it because I had no other choice at the time. Once I acquired the Neo Version, I never touched the ps1 version ever again.

The original MK wasn't that good on both Genny and Snes. MKII wasn't bad on the Snes but doesn't compare to the arcade version. I guess the only reason would be Nostalgia.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I never understood why people like to play way inferior ports of certain games on consoles. I understand if the game is very close to the arcade version or there is something different in a good way. I remember back in the days playing Samurai Shodown 3 blades of blood on the ps1. I loved that game but only played it because I had no other choice at the time. Once I acquired the Neo Version, I never touched the ps1 version ever again.

The original MK wasn't that good on both Genny and Snes. MKII wasn't bad on the Snes but doesn't compare to the arcade version. I guess the only reason would be Nostalgia.

I agree completely, there are far better ports of those games elsewhere. This dawned on me when I played Bust a Move a few days ago, I've never played it on the SNES before. The Neo version blows it away in every way.

I have the Midway Arcade comps, as well as the Taito, Capcom, and others...much better versions to be found there, like Smash TV.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
You guys are right, I should have included Shaq-Fu to make it obvious.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I actually liked the SNES MK back in the day. It was neutered but I felt it looks and play better than the Genesis version, which was washed out. MK2 made MK1 completely unplayable though.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I actually liked the SNES MK back in the day. It was neutered but I felt it looks and play better than the Genesis version, which was washed out. MK2 made MK1 completely unplayable though.

Early 90's? I liked the SNES version one better as well. Many of the sound samples on the Gen version were so bad, it drove me nuts. You're dead on with MKII, once it hit the SNES, MKI was trash.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Early 90's? I liked the SNES version one better as well. Many of the sound samples on the Gen version were so bad, it drove me nuts. You're dead on with MKII, once it hit the SNES, MKI was trash.

Early 90s! My 2 roomates in college, we used to play SNES (and later Neo Geo) all night. We once did 100 matches of MK1 on SNES (I think I did 7 diamonds on those bonus stages).

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
Had some time over the weekend so I messed about with the system.

I put on it that dual-boot feature with Hackchi. So I have the choice to switch between the NES Classic mode (it's the exact same interface as you'd get with that system), and then back to this current systems lineup.

VMp5pdx.jpg

kNs2dt7.jpg